Thread: Sailing Rig for Ozona X (10ft pram)

Default Sailing Rig for Ozona X (10ft pram)

Good day everyone. My first post here.

I am in the middle of building a 10ft pram from a kit. The boat is Ozona X. It is a nesting pram that can be sailed. The boat is actually quite nice. The pans call for a balanced lug, however, I am doing it with "cat boat"/sloop design. Someone had given me a mast with a boom from an old laser and I purchased a modified "Super Sunfish" sail kit from sailrite to reduce it to the same 70sq ft sail area that the balanced lug would have been. The foot is now roughly 7.5ft with the sleeve luff of just over 15ft.

Here is my question. While I know my personal reasons for changing the rig style, I would like to know from others how will the boat might perform differently when changing sail type? Any thoughts on running rigging? Any other considerations?

Thank you all for the time.

Val

Default Re: Sailing Rig for Ozona X (10ft pram)

Welcome aboard!
    A couple of possible differences: The taller rig will tend to heel the boat more, it has more leverage. Depending on conditions and the skill and weight of the operator, this might not matter much. You may have changed the fore and aft center of effort of the rig, which can effect helm balance. You can look at the lines on the sail plan, the center of effort should be marked on it. A small change shouldn't matter much, but you won't know for sure until you test it out. I've had success changing small boat rigs, though I've been sailing and studying sailing for decades. Good luck, keep us posted.