Thread: Travel insurance

Default Travel insurance

Iíve never used travel insurance. We have a trip next spring and I wanted to look into it given the 50/50 chance we have a open conflict between nato and russia between now and then.

Who do you guys use?

Thanks

Default Re: Travel insurance

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I’ve never used travel insurance. We have a trip next spring and I wanted to look into it given the 50/50 chance we have a open conflict between nato and russia between now and then.

Who do you guys use?

Thanks
    We used AXA - Squaremouth. Be sure to read the covered reasons. For some policies acts of war are excluded.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

It will depend on the terms of the coverage, many policies have exclusions for acts of war. Also, is the place you are going likely to be in the line of fire, or are
    you thinking you would not want to go to, say, Italy, in the event of war in Eastern Europe?

Going to london then to southern france.

If things were hotter, or if Poland or Germany were involved in any sort of exchange, or a suspicious plane disaster, or if a nuke was used anywhere, etc, I’d veto the trip.

I looked around a bit this morning and there is some language indicating that if we use miles (we did) then the insurance is not available.

Our travel insurance included medical coverage, canceled flight coverage, Covid, weather issues, and baggage loss.
    Less than $300 covering virtually all aspects of a $10,000+ vacation.

Allianz Insurance. Bought it at the local AAA travel store. You don't have to be an AAA member.
    Last edited by Jim Bow; 09-30-2022 at 12:01 PM.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

‘Thanks Jim. I was reading some really bad reviews for Allianz in reddit. Terrible stories of denied claims and run around.

‘Thanks Jim. I was reading some really bad reviews for Allianz in reddit. Terrible stories of denied claims and run around.
    I think that's true of all insurance.

I had a covered delay under my Squaremouth policy and have filed a claim. We paid $152 for a three week trip coverage which included delays, cancellations, medical stuff, etc. At this point the airline hasn't done anything with the claim we made against them and because of that, the insurance company is waiting to see what the airline covers - and they're trying to blame everyone else who they think should be providing coverage - i.e. credit card, airline, "other" insurance, etc.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Two things - Yes on Travel Insurance. Yes with a Travel Agent.

If the trip matters use a great agent. Only a backpacker or a bobo would book a trip without a professional advice and without insurance. I also carry Medijet in case i need to come home due to physical trama or illness

----

^ I have no doubt this will be likely ignored and my advice will be discounted since folks believe they can get results better, cheaper on their own - neither is true. it falls closely near the internet is truth.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

I agree on the travel insurance, but am still not sold on the Travel Agent idea.

BTW - That's what your wife does, no?

Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to tell us exactly what the agent is going to do for you other than call customer service with the appropriate company and manage the issue for you.

I'm also waiting for you to tell us how much the agent adds to the cost of say, a two-week vacation from the US to Europe.
    -William A. Ward

You say backpacker or hobo like it’s a bad thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    I agree on the travel insurance, but am still not sold on the Travel Agent idea.

BTW - That's what your wife does, no?

Anyway, I'm still waiting for you to tell us exactly what the agent is going to do for you other than call customer service with the appropriate company and manage the issue for you.

I'm also waiting for you to tell us how much the agent adds to the cost of say, a two-week vacation from the US to Europe.
    I have been quite fortunate - i am really a well travelled man. I have seen much of the world both on a budget on the bike or bicycle and then on levels that few ever see or many could never afford. We are always planing and going on some thing.

No, my wife is not really a travel advisor. She does have just a select handful private clients who pay her for her advice and access. When she calls and books for her clients, they have little concerns and are addressed in a knowledgeable, professional way as an advocate and issues are dealt with in short order. She also works for the top luxury travel company in the world doing 5 and 6 star travel. She had private keys and back doors to things you are told are impossible, closed or never knew existed. She helps those travel advisors who know the difference and have rich and well heeled clients with discerning interests to make their travel exceptional. Currently she is off to India for 2 weeks on a luxury travel junket with other travel professionals learning about and seeing for herself the luxury properties, operations and meeting the people behind scenes that would make travel to India a wonderful experience.

The Travel advisor gets you things you do not when you book yourself which includes greater special amenties, best rooms at properties, facilities or even airline support. Keeps one from being walked from where are booked. Gets you on the next plane when others wait on hold or limbo. Helps manage quality, reliable transfers and connections. Gets the best guides and local support when you need it. Provides the right and proper travel insurance - usually at no more than you would pay on your own. Moreover they will help you collect on the claims sooner when they tell you to wait or not covered.

As you get older, travel is harder. Why stress out when you can have someone help with the details and power/leverage to make your travel pleasant and exactly like you'd want - often not costing any more than you would have paid anyway.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-30-2022 at 01:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    No, my wife is not really a travel advisor. She does have just a select handful private clients who pay her for her advice and access. When she calls and books for her clients, they have little concerns and are addressed in a knowledgeable, professional way as an advocate and issues are dealt with in short order. She also works for the top luxury travel company in the world doing 5 and 6 star travel. She had private keys and back doors to things you are told are impossible, closed or never knew existed. She helps those travel advisors who know the difference and have rich and well heeled clients with discerning interests to make their travel exceptional. Currently she is off to India for 2 weeks on a luxury travel junket with other travel professionals learning about and seeing for herself the luxury properties, operations and meeting the people behind scenes that would make travel to India a wonderful experience.
    So she's not a travel advisor, but advises clients AND works for a luxury travel company. Got it.

The Travel advisor gets you things you do not when you book yourself which includes greater special amenties, best rooms at properties, facilities or even airline support. Keeps one from being walked from where are booked. Gets you on the next plane when others wait on hold or limbo. Helps manage quality, reliable transfers and connections. Gets the best guides and local support when you need it. Provides the right and proper travel insurance - usually at no more than you would pay on your own. Moreover they will help you collect on the claims sooner when they tell you to wait or not covered.

As you get older, travel is harder. Why stress out when you can have someone help with the details and power/leverage to make your travel pleasant and exactly like you'd want - often not costing any more than you would have paid anyway.
    Again - a bit nebulous about what I'm actually getting, here, Ted. I have simple wants when traveling and 99% of the time when I travel, my needs and wants are met or exceeded. Again, when traveling commercially by air, the front and back of the plane typically get to the destination at the same time and all passengers are delayed or cancelled just the same. When I've had cancellations I have been booked on "next available". Knowing your rights as a traveler helps a lot as does being a pleasant customer - all at no additional fees. The "often not costing any more than you would have paid anyway" thing always makes me suspicious, because TANSTAAFL - somebody is making money for doing that, or they wouldn't be in the business of doing that, now would they?

Typically, we plan our own travel to meet our own needs and wants - sometimes that includes planning in some flexibility that is difficult to do when working with someone else.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    So she's not a travel advisor, but advises clients AND works for a luxury travel company. Got it.

Again - a bit nebulous about what I'm actually getting, here, Ted. I have simple wants when traveling and 99% of the time when I travel, my needs and wants are met or exceeded. Again, when traveling commercially by air, the front and back of the plane typically get to the destination at the same time and all passengers are delayed or cancelled just the same. When I've had cancellations I have been booked on "next available". Knowing your rights as a traveler helps a lot as does being a pleasant customer - all at no additional fees. The "often not costing any more than you would have paid anyway" thing always makes me suspicious, because TANSTAAFL - somebody is making money for doing that, or they wouldn't be in the business of doing that, now would they?

Typically, we plan our own travel to meet our own needs and wants - sometimes that includes planning in some flexibility that is difficult to do when working with someone else.
    You are obviously not one who uses professionals to help book their travel and is happy with what you get and think you receive what you paid for. You like being able to change plans on the fly. I get all that. I also recognize you may not know the difference or never saw the difference or that it is not important to you. You are mistaken to think you are saving money not using an agent because you are not. The real problem i think you have found is the commission of a great travel professional booking a inexpensive trip is not worth their effort and to pay an additional fee to have a real caring professional help you to make up the difference is not worth your hard earned money.

Some people like flying on Southwest. Some loved flying on the Concorde on Air France/British Air. Everyone remembers when they flew on a PANAM Transocean flight as compared to Delta.

I will point out - travel is about experience. How you want that experience to be; only you can set.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-30-2022 at 02:12 PM.

You are obviously not one who uses professionals to help book their travel and is happy with what you get and think you receive what you paid for. You like being able to change plans on the fly. I get all that. I also recognize you may not know the difference or never saw the difference or that it is not important to you.

Some people like flying on Southwest. Some loved flying on the Concorde on Air France/British Air. Everyone remembers when they flew on a PANAM Transocean flight as compared to Delta.
    When I used to travel in the cosmetics business, we traveled "well". We had a corporate travel agent on speed-dial and traveled the world pretty regularly, sometimes several times a month. They tended to make our business travel a bit of an adventure when they could. When they knew we were traveling somewhere special, or traveling with a weekend on either end of a trip they would offer us some suggestions. Back in the day, this would have been a bit difficult for mere mortals to do. Today, less so. From that regard that I have traveled "well", I have seen the difference, but don't find that it matters much most of the time. Sure, I can have a nice suite in a hotel, but I would rather not spend a great deal of time in that suite - I'd rather be out talking to the locals, seeing the sights and enjoying the place. I can't do that from the inside of a suite.

However. Do I want lounge access in airports? Sometimes I do - and I get it. Do I want a comfortable well-appointed room? Sure. In the UK we have special access for rental cars because of someone we know which is very helpful. Can I plan what I want to do and see? Sure. Do I want to eat at the posh restaurants or get into special places? Sometimes. Thoroughly enjoyed the OXO in London on our last trip, but also enjoy nice pub lunches out based on the Good Pub Guide's recommendations - or even local restaurants based on recommendations by the locals. In Warwick a number of years ago, we were pointed in the direction of a cafe popular with the locals for lunch. The food and service were both fantastic and inexpensive. The ambiance? Meh. Ah, but the food...

We're planning a trip to Iceland in the future and we're doing our homework now and making our plans. The planning is what makes things go smoothly, IMO - and not over-scheduling.

For most individuals here - and I think this probably applies to Tom as much as it does to me - he'll have a great experience and find those things he wants to do and places he wants to go by doing a little bit of homework for himself, asking questions of others who may have been where he's going, and tailoring his adventure to his wants and needs.

+1 Sometimes I'm a dirt-bag traveler with my backpack, too.
    -William A. Ward

Basically, a good local travel agent won't sell crappy product. They don't want to behave to face a disgruntled customer. Our agent promised to walk us through any claims we might have to make.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

To be clear - I wrote bobo not hobo.

Definition of bobo

: a member of a social class of well-to-do professionals who espouse bohemian values and lead bourgeois lives

I am sure many of you travel well. Some are good planners. I happen to live with one of the best and most connected in North America with global access. She did not help with my recent European motorcycle trip. I used booking.com. I was freely traveling and did what I wanted to do every moment of the trip on my bike. Few seasoned well heeled travelers were amazed at what I did. Clearly a great holiday.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-30-2022 at 03:51 PM.

We're still trying to collect on a claim from last November when I fell and tore my quadriceps tendon and had to leave Alaska early. A run-around with Allianz. I've given up on them but my wife is still pursuing it. They want a letter from Alaska Airlines saying they didn't reimburse us for changing our tickets. It really makes no sense.

We did get reimbursed by Allianz once before so we're 1 for 2.

If the trip matters use a great agent. Only a backpacker or a bobo would book a trip without a professional advice and without insurance.

----

^ I have no doubt this will be likely ignored and my advice will be discounted since folks believe they can get results better, cheaper on their own - neither is true.
    No doubt, your advice deserves to be ignored.

I used to plan our trips and handled all the problems that arose. Then one day I realized my kids had superior skills. Now, they plan our trips and handle all the problems that arise. Sometimes they are on site with us and sometimes they are on a phone. In either case, they are motivated to handle problems in a reasonable manner.

But my experience also deserves to be ignored.
    Life is complex.