Thread: 14' Navy Captains Gig / Tender

Default 14' Navy Captains Gig / Tender

Hello all,
    I have the opportunity to acquire this clinker built Navy tender or gig. It has been stored dry in a barn for the last 40 years. As the photos show, the keel or keelson has separated from the stem There is one plank above the waterline with a crack. I'd be hiring out any repair work so I'm not keen to bite off too much work. I wonder if anyone can offer words of advice or caution. I'm not the first to find a free boat in a barn. I lost my Cosine Wherry last year to an angry tree and I'm eager to have another rowing boat to adventure in.
    -Adair
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: 14' Navy Captains Gig / Tender

Calling Eric Hvalsoe...

Neat boat. I'd love to have it myself. Going to need a LOT of work though. I don't know if I would choose that boat for rowing adventures. Even free I think you will spend more to bring that boat back to life (if you hire out the work) than you would to buy something done and ready to go. A quick search of Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace turns up a bunch of decent boats in the $4k-$5k range. Not exactly cheap, but if you keep an eye out you can find something in the $2500 range. I don't think you can restore that boat for less. Maybe that one needs to be in the CWB collection?
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

- Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

It certainly is pretty. In your position I would seek advice and an estimate from local boatbuilders. First find someone willing to do the work and he can give you an idea of the cost and practicality. Good luck, keep us posted.

While I think the rational course here is to buy something else I agree that the boat deserves to be restored and I'd love to see it happen. Eric Hvalsoe is the man for that job. He's on the forum here and his contact info is on his website:

https://sites.google.com/site/erichvalsoe/
    - Chris

Quote Originally Posted by cstevens View Post
    Calling Eric Hvalsoe...

Neat boat. I'd love to have it myself. Going to need a LOT of work though. I don't know if I would choose that boat for rowing adventures. Even free I think you will spend more to bring that boat back to life (if you hire out the work) than you would to buy something done and ready to go. A quick search of Craigslist and Facebook Marketplace turns up a bunch of decent boats in the $4k-$5k range. Not exactly cheap, but if you keep an eye out you can find something in the $2500 range. I don't think you can restore that boat for less. Maybe that one needs to be in the CWB collection?
    What he said.

I appreciate all the input and words of caution. I have a great local shipwright and marine appraiser who can take a look at her. I would however have to accept possession of this boat to remove her from her home of the last 40 years before anyone could really assess the condition.

I'm not completely without the ability to put sweat equity in. I belong to a traditional rowing group and we regularly haul and refinish the fleet. It's repair/replacement of wood members that concerns me. It looked like all the frames were sound. To my eye the major flaw was the keel to stem separation that would be the main problem.

My other fear is that this would be a gift and as such I feel that by taking it on I have a responsibility to elevate the project to the best of my means and abilities. I don't know much about the historical value of this boat. If she deserves better than gunkholing around the Salish maybe that is enough reason to decline the gift. I don't have any space to display her, though I'd be happy to gaze at this boat as an interior furnishing. I also do not have thousands of dollars to put into a project.

Quote Originally Posted by Adair View Post
    I appreciate all the input and words of caution. I have a great local shipwright and marine appraiser who can take a look at her. I would however have to accept possession of this boat to remove her from her home of the last 40 years before anyone could really assess the condition.
    I think that your shipwright and appraiser, with the aid of a stepladder, should be able to give you an opinion without having to move her. Show him/her your photos and ask if they would be willing to give you advice where she sits.
    I am concerned about that short grain crack in the stem, just forward of the missing stop water.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Adair View Post

I'm not completely without the ability to put sweat equity in. I belong to a traditional rowing group and we regularly haul and refinish the fleet. It's repair/replacement of wood members that concerns me. It looked like all the frames were sound. To my eye the major flaw was the keel to stem separation that would be the main problem.

My other fear is that this would be a gift and as such I feel that by taking it on I have a responsibility to elevate the project to the best of my means and abilities. I don't know much about the historical value of this boat. If she deserves better than gunkholing around the Salish maybe that is enough reason to decline the gift. I don't have any space to display her, though I'd be happy to gaze at this boat as an interior furnishing. I also do not have thousands of dollars to put into a project.

Ah, that's a much better situation than it sounded like from your first post. A couple of thoughts for what they are worth:

1. It's a boat not a puppy. Yes, I do think people have a certain obligation when they take on a boat that needs work. I certainly feel that myself. But getting her out of the shed and into a state where the boat can be worked on would be a positive step all by itself. She's not getting any better sitting in that barn. If you do that and subsequently decide that she's not the right boat, or she's too big of a project there is no harm in passing her along to someone else. She's a neat boat. If she can be saved someone will take on the job. (In fact, don't tempt me too much...)

2. If you don't have any history on her she's just an old boat. She's not L.F.H.'s personal monogrammed bucket. Gunkholing around the Salish is about the highest aspiration that an old rowing boat can have in my opinion. There isn't any better way to respect her craftsmanship and heritage, whatever that may be. My comment on her suitability was more about whether she would fit your needs as well as some other option. But if you like this boat and she stirs your sense of adventure then that's reason enough by itself. After all that's what old wooden boats are best at.

So, my two cents: If you like the boat enough to yard her out of the barn then what are you waiting for? Go and get her! The worst that can happen is that you spend a few hours of your time to let her see the light of day for the first time in a few decades. That sounds like a great way to spend a day to me. I wish I was doing it.
    - Chris

. . . and that is a great - looking doll house / castle in the loft above the boat
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "