Thread: Restore score

Default Restore score

Iíve been looking for bolts for a long time. Lots of things to bolt. Including my solar ground mount system. And the engineer wants specified bolts every 2í where my framing is doubled. Basically everywhere.

Picking up 2-3 bolts whenever they showed up. They sometimes get a little goofy with the pricing when you are only picking up a couple of little things. No big deal. Itís fun to hunt through the stuff.

Last time I saw a bucket of long 1/2Ē grade 5 bolts, I took a couple of dozen. Ended up using them all and wishing Iíd gotten more. At a buck a pound, they were a pretty good deal. Of course, they were gone when I went back for more. Stuff disappears fast.

When you just buy the box of stuff, they loosen up on the prices. About 400 lbs (?) of grade five, 5/16, 7/16, and 1/2. And 500 or so washers. But only one bag of nuts.

Junk stores are my favorite place. She is not all that pleased.

I will buy bolts no more, forever.

1B660B95-D340-43FF-9F93-15E7DAA101A2.jpg

Default Re: Restore score

I will buy bolts no more, forever.
    you lie
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I'm with Paul. Shirley you gonna need some shorter ones.

400 lbs of bolts. and each of those boxes contains one size and length? i dunno man.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    ... But only one bag of nuts.
    There's a punchline in there, somewhere.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Even a blind squirrel...?

Hard to say. I dug in one and the bottom inch or two was washers. Lots of washers. Haven’t dumped them yet.

Shopping Restore is a little sad. There are lots of little containers where some little old man filled a medicine bottle with sorted screws, bolts, nuts. With a little label. Then the kids come along to clean out the garage and throw it all out.

I’ll use what I need pretty quickly, hopefully before next summer, and move the rest along.

I’ve been worrying about the cost of all the hardware I was going to need to use the pile of unistrut that will make up the solar mount. Not so worried now.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    . She is not all that pleased.
    At least your bolts don't take up much room. My wife is the pack rat, not me. When she wants to bring something home, I don't much care what it is, only its size and whether it goes in the house or outside. If inside, I wonder what are we going to get rid of so the new thing can fit.

Don’t call him shirley!
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    I'm with Paul. Shirley you gonna need some shorter ones.
    Angle grinder is our friend.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

You may find that the screws, etc. in those little bottles are of a metal far superior to this available in the local hardware store.

When I was asked by my brother-in-law to fly from Minnesota to Palm Springs to fix all the broken stuff in my father-in-law's house, I shipped tools out there - In his little workshop were an original Yankee push drill, an antique square and angle gauge ( FIL's grandfather was a carpenter) and many quart glass jars full of vintage screws and other hardware. As I was going to fly back, I was only able to bring back the tools I sent plus the 3 I mentioned above
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Nice score Tom!