Thread: IAN and me

Default IAN and me

I feel for the folk caught in the path of Ian and such devastation I have not ever witnessed. My feelings are tempered by knowledge of past hurricanes treatment of my home and this area and must be ready for what we get from Ian. Expected storm high water would normally not be an issue but we have had NE wind for several days and already have high water that Ian will pile on top of that. Hopefully the peak will below my shop level but having already made some prepwork, it should not be a major problem as several hurricanes have created for us.

It seems all parts of the USA have gotten serious weather related problems lately and I guess this is our share. It does make for wonder about how the climate change deniers now view what is affecting them. In a few generations the area where I live will be under the ocean and those who expect to live here had better make long range preparations on where they need to go. History will not be denied and most who dwell in the major population centers of the USA will have to find new homes.

Default Re: IAN and me

It'll be less than a few generations. We'll be lucky if it's only two. More likely 20 years.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

I feel for you and wish you the best.

I had considered your area for retirement. I love New Bern and Oriental. After the destruction witnessed in New Bern a few years ago, I have changed plans. I just don't think it is worth the increasing risks.

Retirement is still a couple years off but I think we will stay here on high ground in the Richmond Area.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    I feel for you and wish you the best.

I had considered your area for retirement. I love New Bern and Oriental. After the destruction witnessed in New Bern a few years ago, I have changed plans. I just don't think it is worth the increasing risks.

Retirement is still a couple years off but I think we will stay here on high ground in the Richmond Area.

There are areas around New Bern that are well above water damage for most people's lifetimes for quite a few years yet. New Bern is becoming a much more populated area now and is still very beautiful with nice housing locations. The medical situation is light years beyond what it used to be. Still, I don't blame you for staying home in or near Richmond. I'd like the area west of Richmond toward the valleys and hills. Most of the eastern seaboard cities are doomed to be taken by the Atlantic ocean in the future. People tended to build and develop on the waterways all over the country so most of our population is in for danger in the future. Everybody has to be somewhere.

After 30+ years on the FL west coast, we headed for the hills of upstate SC. We had four different hurricanes threaten our area in 2004, and as a result, our homeowner's insurance went up 400% in one year. Mostly, though, I find bad weather to be stressful. We're at 1100' now; should be safe for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    After 30+ years on the FL west coast, we headed for the hills of upstate SC. We had four different hurricanes threaten our area in 2004, and as a result, our homeowner's insurance went up 400% in one year. Mostly, though, I find bad weather to be stressful. We're at 1100' now; should be safe for a while.
    First - best of luck to all who are in the path of the storm.

To being safe @ 1100 ft: my old place was at 1500 ft & one day I got a call from some salesman telling me I had to have flood insurance (even though that town had no flood plains). I asked him why & he started into his spiel. I let him continue (I had the phone on speaker & kept on working) & when he ran down I said "You do realize that if I flood, New York City will be under a 1/4 mile of water, don't you? Don't you think there might be bigger issues if that happens?".

He hung up.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

I made an early morning dash down to Pinehurst. Here safe and sound didnít run into any winds but rain started at the Carolina boarder.

Iím down here at momís house for the weekend. My sister is in New Hampshire for the weekend so I wanted to keep mom company.

Battin down the hatches!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...