Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kali Linux

Default Re: Kali Linux

Deleting the password was surprisingly easy. The laptop on the other hand, has problems.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    .....The laptop on the other hand, has problems.
    That's a shame, does it blame its mother, the church or mistreatment in early years education.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    That's a shame, does it blame its mother, the church or mistreatment in early years education.
    The lappy wasn't allowed a puppy.
    I'm not sure of the exact problem yet, and i may not bother trying to fix it. I'll probably use the live disc to backup photos and docs off then either scrap it, or load Linux on it.

Oh, and it seems the battery is okay.

Here's a very long video from Jeff Gearling on the Raspberry Pi supply issue (the meat of the explanation is in the first fifteen minutes)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krpa...l=JeffGeerling

#2 sprog makes a hardware/software product relying on a pi - and says much the same.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

So I did a live thumb drive install of Linux Mint to my desktop. Everything went well until I found that Linux won’t recognize my Netgear WiFi adapter. Researching indicates Linux is very fussy about working with WiFi adapters and only a few seem to work. The cheapest USB Linux adapter I’ve found is $54. That isn’t going to break the bank but I wonder how many of those gotchas I’m going to find before I’m really using Linux.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I've only used the WIFI adapters that have come from my ISPs, but never had trouble. If you go to the menu then Preferences, Network, is the slider for WiFi turned on?

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    I've only used the WIFI adapters that have come from my ISPs, but never had trouble. If you go to the menu then Preferences, Network, is the slider for WiFi turned on?
    I was hoping it would be that simple. But it only shows “Wired” and says Cable unplugged. I think I read somewhere that Netgear doesn’t support Linux at all.

forget the details, Ron, but check the 'nonfree drivers' on the install cd.. bet it's there. google forums should help, has helped me with nonfree wifi adapters before.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

https://kb.netgear.com/17/My-compute...-What-can-I-do

Most NETGEAR USB WiFi adapters have minimum system requirements. Your adapter might require a certain version of Microsoft Windows (like Windows 10) or a certain type of USB port (like USB 2.0). Make sure that your computer meets the adapterís minimum system requirements before troubleshooting further.

If your computer doesnít detect your adapter, try the following troubleshooting steps.
    Download the latest software for your adapter

Make sure that you use the latest software for your specific NETGEAR USB WiFi adapter. You can download the latest adapter software from the NETGEAR Download Center.

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    I was hoping it would be that simple. But it only shows “Wired” and says Cable unplugged. I think I read somewhere that Netgear doesn’t support Linux at all.
    I used to have a Netgear modem, and I never had any problems. I had to install with a wired connection, once installed I then set-up the WiFi connection.

Kali setup via WiFi.

Thanks guys. Turns out my Netgear adapter was pretty old and not worth fussing with. Found a TP-Link adapter for $16 that everyone says works fine with Linux. Just have to wait for it to arrive Saturday. Not available in local stores. Been playing with my Mint installation, think I’m really going to like Linux. Should have done this years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Durnik View Post
    forget the details, Ron, but check the 'nonfree drivers' on the install cd.. bet it's there. google forums should help, has helped me with nonfree wifi adapters before.
    I'd bet on this being the problem.There are those in the Linux world who shy away from bundling proprietary driers and codecs in the distro and if you can find a source of them it can be the solution.I have used such collections of drivers to get the very cheapest of wifi dongles to work and none have ever failed to connect.Broadcom were prominent on the list of those that needed to be installed from outside the basic distro.