Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kali Linux

Default Kali Linux

I've been watching a series called Dr Robot. It's complex, but basically about a Hacker, and I was surprised and pleased to see him using Linux.
    I was even more surprised when I realised the Distro he was using, called Kali, actually exists.
    I run Mint and have done for many years, and I like it.
    I have a HP laptop that Kez was using up until yesterday...she bought a brand new one because this one is mind-numbingly slow.
    Anyway I've downloaded Kali and it's installing right now. I'm trying it with two different desktops, the default Xfe4, and KDE to test what it can do.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Default Re: Kali Linux

Okay. 60 second boot to login, and mere seconds to desktop. This is NOT your usual end user Distro. Politely put, it's a network administrators toolbox.
    https://www.kali.org/features/

Judging by the description, it's more or less a standalone software/network security assurance toolbox
    WszystekPoTrochu's signature available only for premium forum users.

Most of it is way beyond me.

Mr Robot?

From the What are you watching thread in 2017:

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    Season 3 of Mr Robot just finished up this past week. Fantastic show. I think the first two seasons are on Netflix.

Kali is more a hacker's toolbox than a network admin. Its got password crackers, penetration tools, etc.

I have 2 Linux boxes and 2 Windows boxes. Windows is comfortable for basic office functions, but I do all my real computing on Linux.

The thing about Linux that I like is that the operating systems are stable. I don't need to go through major upgrades every few years and learn where Gates decided to hide the buttons this time. That means I get work done instead of sacrificing my time on the alter to Gates.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Iíve never played with Linux but have long been intrigued by it. Iím tempted to buy (build) a new desktop box and put only Linux on it just to learn it. One of the things that has always kept me away from it is that I have one ancient (1992) program that is very important to my work. However its core was written in C and compiled for DOS. It is doubtful I could get access to the source or a recompile. So would Linux allow me to shell out to a DOS emulator that might run this program?

^ Linux is a stripped down operating system. My first (and nearly only) unpleasant encounter was the realization that I needed to write scripts to do what VMS could do naturally. Also, it's case sensitive. Once you get over that and get your hands on a half dozen scripts to help you over that initial learning curve, you are off to the races.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by ron ll View Post
    Iíve never played with Linux but have long been intrigued by it. Iím tempted to buy (build) a new desktop box and put only Linux on it just to learn it. One of the things that has always kept me away from it is that I have one ancient (1992) program that is very important to my work. However its core was written in C and compiled for DOS. It is doubtful I could get access to the source or a recompile. So would Linux allow me to shell out to a DOS emulator that might run this program?
    I have no idea if it would work, but:

DOSBox is an emulation program for DOS in Linux. DOSBox is available in most Linux distributions, and you can install it using the distribution's default package manager from the terminal.

https://www.simplified.guide/linux/run-dos-program

It also could be possible to run it using WINE.

I have never needed to use VMS and have never needed to write scripts for what I use my Linux computers to do. The very few times that I have needed to use the terminal, I have been able to find a tutorial where I could copy and paste the commands.

I’ve never played with Linux but have long been intrigued by it. I’m tempted to buy (build) a new desktop box and put only Linux on it just to learn it. One of the things that has always kept me away from it is that I have one ancient (1992) program that is very important to my work. However its core was written in C and compiled for DOS. It is doubtful I could get access to the source or a recompile. So would Linux allow me to shell out to a DOS emulator that might run this program?
    You can install VirtualBox on Linuxen and set up a VM running the Windows of your choice or MS-DOS as a guest OS.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

I’ve never played with Linux but have long been intrigued by it. I’m tempted to buy (build) a new desktop box and put only Linux on it just to learn it. One of the things that has always kept me away from it is that I have one ancient (1992) program that is very important to my work. However its core was written in C and compiled for DOS. It is doubtful I could get access to the source or a recompile. So would Linux allow me to shell out to a DOS emulator that might run this program?
    Have you ever tried a live install,running from an image on a DVD or memory stick?I raise the point because I have been using Linux Mint for about 14 years now and it can be used in this manner and in the software list I had a quick look and found this.

DOSemu.jpg

So by trying a live install and downloading the particular app,you could try your vital program and as soon as you go to shut down the machine it will revert to exactly the configuration that was running before you deviated from the Microsoft ecosystem.

I work in IT but I'm really not interested in going overboard with tech at home, but I'm prepared to use Linux because it extends the life of otherwise perfectly adequate hardware.

My last two home computers have merely been my previous work computers, bought from the company for a nominal gesture amount, and loaded with Linux (Ubuntu in my case) to make them usable.

This was literally the case with my last one, which was unable to take a Windows update, and thus rendered useless. It does, however, have a native SD slot, and so I have it installed with browser, darktable and gimp. I use it to sift through the output of the digital SLR, it avoids having to splash out on something fancy from the Apple iStore to edit my photos on.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Quote Originally Posted by AnalogKid View Post
    I'm prepared to use Linux because it extends the life of otherwise perfectly adequate hardware.
    This is a very good argument for using Linux. My kids use Mint on laptops that were either too weak to continue with Microsoft's bloatware or were obtained second hand with no OS.

I understand that Raspberry Pis are hard to come by right now, but I have 3 distros on microSD cards that I can swap out to run on my Pi. It looks like Kali is also available. That would be a simple way to try out Kali and you would only have to change cards to go back to something else.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    I understand that Raspberry Pis are hard to come by right now, ...
    They are and I need to get some. You can get them at more than 5x the normal price, or so I'm told.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    They are and I need to get some. You can get them at more than 5x the normal price, or so I'm told.
    I've checked my favourite store and they're in stock, in regular prices. What are you looking for?

I've just installed Kali on a USB Stick. I have a Toshiba laptop that belongs to Kez. It was replaced long ago due to some issue, and the password is long forgotten. Kali has a password reset tool that I'd like to try out.
    .https://www.top-password.com/knowled...ali-linux.html

Installing this Distro is ridiculously easy. It took a whole day to setup Kez's new windows laptop .

Quote Originally Posted by WszystekPoTrochu View Post
    I've checked my favourite store and they're in stock, in regular prices. What are you looking for?
    Do you have a link to your store?

The UK market is mostly quoting year plus lead times.
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    Do you have a link to your store?

The UK market is mostly quoting year plus lead times.

https://botland.store
    unfortunately I don't see them shipping outside EU...

I need to check. Can you send me a link to that supplier?

550 euros for a cm4!

Quote Originally Posted by P.I. Stazzer-Newt View Post
    550 euros for a cm4!
    https://botland.store/search?s=raspb..._amount%3Adesc

€95.26
    €77.45 tax excl.

Is there really a €77.45 tax on a €95.26 Raspberry Pi 400?

https://botland.store/raspberry-pi-4...886755028.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    €95.26
    €77.45 tax excl.

Is there really a €77.45 tax on a €95.26 Raspberry Pi 400?

https://botland.store/raspberry-pi-4...886755028.html

The € 77.45 price is what the French would call hors taxe, price without taxes.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. ó P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Kali Linux

From Adafruit here in the States, that same model id USD $70.00, pre-tax, so for me in Washington, USD $77.00 with sales taxes included.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4795?src=raspberrypi

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    The € 77.45 price is what the French would call hors taxe, price without taxes.
    That's better.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    From Adafruit here in the States, that same model id USD $70.00, pre-tax, so for me in Washington, USD $77.00 with sales taxes included.

https://www.adafruit.com/product/4795?src=raspberrypi
    you can put any price in when the product is out of stock

I've never even owned a raspberry (yet), got y'all the link as I see no way for a 550€ cm4 to be a thing and wanted to make sure we're talking about the same things

€95.26 / €77.45 tax excl. means €95.26 total paid price incl. VAT, €77.45 if you're buying it to use as means of conducting business activity that itself will be VAT-taxed. Giving two prices is common if a store has both private and business customers, the USA-ian way of never including tax is literally illegal in retail.

Okay, now creating a live distro on a USB stick. I want to have a go at removing a forgotten user password on a Windows laptop.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    Okay, now creating a live distro on a USB stick. I want to have a go at removing a forgotten user password on a Windows laptop.
    I hope the usual user is OK with that! Quite seriously,I wish I had understood how useful a live install was when I was stuck in the Windows ecosystem and things got totally stalled.

If, as a windows user you find yourself in regedit more than twice a month it's time to switch to Linux or something similar.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    I hope the usual user is OK with that! Quite seriously,I wish I had understood how useful a live install was when I was stuck in the Windows ecosystem and things got totally stalled.
    Quite happy, it's a laptop that was replaced some years ago. The battery is dead.