Thread: Good housekeeping tip

Default Good housekeeping tip

Good housekeeping can save your home in the event of a nuclear blast.

Skip to 3:20.

My house is doomed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGJcwaUWNZg

Default Re: Good housekeeping tip

Anybody East of all that testing is still gaining dividends.
    From my perspective lead based paint won the day. Who would have thought?

My Uncle Steven Olson was a guinea pig at the Bikini Atol tests.

Current house is steel sided over concrete block with a sub surface bomb - storm shelter. Stocked with beer, wine, and whiskey. What could go wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom from Rubicon View Post
    Anybody East of all that testing is still gaining dividends.
    From my perspective lead based paint won the day. Who would have thought?

My Uncle Steven Olson was a guinea pig at the Bikini Atol tests.

Current house is steel sided over concrete block with a sub surface bomb - storm shelter. Stocked with beer, wine, and whiskey. What could go wrong?

My dad had a "Q clearance" (basically TS/SCI+ -- access to all the US nuclear weapons secrets). His job was to go up in the shot towers and verify that the "device" (as he referred to it) had been assembled according to the blueprints and to spec.

He was also involved in after-detonation plotting fallout patterns across Nevada and Utah, the "down-winders".

I remember him talking about the fallout issue back in the early 1970s, even before it was an issue.

Somewhere, we've got his neutral-density goggle that he used to view the detonation, and some pieces of paraffin that were trimmings from the device itself -- a sheet of paraffin separated the two hemispheres of U-235 or Pu-239. That assembly was surrounded by a shaped charge of high explosive designed to drive the two hemispheres together to achieve criticality, thus kicking off the chain reaction.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by nicholas carey;[url="tel:6732340"
    6732340[/url]]my dad had a "q clearance" (basically ts/sci+ -- access to all the us nuclear weapons secrets). His job was to go up in the shot towers and verify that the "device" (as he referred to it) had been assembled according to the blueprints and to spec.

He was also involved in after-detonation plotting fallout patterns across nevada and utah, the "down-winders".

I remember him talking about the fallout issue back in the early 1970s, even before it was an issue.

somewhere, we've got his neutral-density goggle that he used to view the detonation, and some pieces of paraffin that were trimmings from the device itself -- a sheet of paraffin separated the two hemispheres of u-235 or pu-239. That assembly was surrounded by a shaped charge of high explosive designed to drive the two hemispheres together to achieve criticality, thus kicking off the chain reaction.

omg!
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...

S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Default Good housekeeping tip

Quote Originally Posted by Spin_Drift View Post
    omg!

He did say, though, on a couple of occasions, that if the balloon ever does go up, one should just stay topsides and watch the fireworks. Said that it's the most beautiful thing you'll ever see . . . and you wouldn't want to survive it anyway.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

After my father-in-law's death, my wife was going through his papers, finding among other things a photograph of him standing among the scientists at Los Alamos. He had told his family that in WWII he "fought the battle of the steel desk." As a color-blind naval commander, that was his fate. Dealing in materiel. Turns out that meant buying bombs--nuclear bombs.
    “Aren’t you supposed to be the gentlemen who lie for the good of their country?”
    “That’s diplomats. We’re not gentlemen.”
    “So you lie to save your hides.”
    That’s politicians. Different game entirely.”

5:47 “Damaged yes but the tidy house is still standing “ hahaha!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    5:47 “Damaged yes but the tidy house is still standing “ hahaha!
    I'm sure it glows in the dark very nicely, too.
    Pet photography, the degree you get when you fail aromatherapy - Duck D.