Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ian, take a hike, and take Jim Cantrie with you

Default Re: Ian, take a hike, and take Jim Cantrie with you

A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

I've been following the storm with text messages coming from my southern relatives.

You know what I realized? This POTUS did not redraw the path of the storm in crayon and then show it to the American people! It's good to have an adult in the White House.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

We still haven't heard from our almost 90-year-old great aunt in Naples.
    She's an intelligent woman who hopefully got out of there early with her husband.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Extraordinary storm - making its way all the way across Florida with hardly any loss of wind speed. Really large footprint.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    Extraordinary storm - making its way all the way across Florida with hardly any loss of wind speed. Really large footprint.
    Because of the storm's massive size, it can continue to draw energy from the warm ocean waters while it is over Florida.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Just read that while Ian was downgraded to tropical storm status as it crossed over land it may well spin back up to hurricane once over the Atlantic. Definitely not over yet.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Damn, damn, damn! A week after my brother's passing and now my sister-in-law needs to deal with this too. She's in Myrtle Beach, SC and what looked like no problem last week is now looking like a problem...
    Ian.jpg

Bill

I just now got word that my mom's place is okay minus a piece of trim. I feel lucky given the fact that it is a 50 year old double wide trailer maybe 8 ft. above sea level just north of ground zero. There is significant damage in her park, however word on the street is that Venice, FL made out relatively ok.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

The surge still was pretty brutal near therm. Hope he reports in soon. Thinking of them and wishing them the best.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

AP photo of Fort Meyers. Where do you begin? Do you come back at all?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Man.
    Check out the one house left on the waterfront, you want to know who built that, or what they did to help it through.

Itís awful.

At 150 mph, Iím surprised so many houses kept their roofs. I wonder if they are old enough to have been built to florida standards?

So many boats destroyed.

You begin at the beginning. I usually start right at the house and work my way out, cutting clear paths so that we can walk safely. Two years ago when Sally hit here I would say a good 50% of the ground here was covered in burn piles, and I worked on it every single day. I estimated it would take me a year to put everything back together, but by Christmas other than the stumps it was all put back together.

A caveat: I had eight friends from work spend a day here with chainsaws and a dozer helping me out. The only real damage was a hole in the roof that was stripped and repaired in three days. I do know lucky we were. These people that get hit by the storm surge will have their homes loaded onto dumpsters and taken to landfills. They will have to begin again from a blank slate.

It always amazes me how easily people forget the damage these things will do. If you offered me a mansion on the Gulf I wouldnít take it. Itís not the wind thatís the problem, itís the water.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'