Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ian, take a hike, and take Jim Cantrie with you

Default Ian, take a hike, and take Jim Cantrie with you

Worst cone of uncertainty we've seen in decades. Yikes!

Life is short, play with your cougar.

Default Re: Ian, take a hike, and take Jim Cantrie with you

Cantore?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

I'm going to Florida. Put chains over the roofs and pray to whatever higher power you know of.

Both Floridians and Russians are evacuating to Georgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtism View Post
    Trump can fix it with his sharpie.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

A turn to the north-northeast with a decrease in forward speed is forecast on Wednesday and Thursday as the center of Ian moves near the west
    coast of Florida. The slower forward motion is likely to prolong the storm surge, wind, and rainfall impacts, especially along the west
    coast of Florida. The latest track guidance has come into better agreement on this scenario, although it is noted that small
    deviations to the shore-parallel track could have large implications on the impacts at particular locations along the west coast of Florida.

I understand, as long as you don't see Jim Cantore in your backyard when you look out the window, you will probably be alright.

This is part of why we moved from FL after living there for 30 years. We had four close calls one year, and I just find that very stressful. Our son lives in Tampa, and is planning to leave today.

Mom's winter place is south of Tampa. She is still in Maine, so that is not a problem. The winter place is not on the water, but the winds and 2 ft of rain could wreak havoc. We are just hoping for the best.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    I understand, as long as you don't see Jim Cantore in your backyard when you look out the window, you will probably be alright.
    Driving through downtown just now I saw a crew unloading equipment and setting up light poles. I didn't have the nerve to ask if they worked for the Weather Channel.

The latest track shows the eye coming straight up the mouth of Tampa Bay as a cat 3 early Thursday morning. Of course that's subject to change once the system moves out into the open Gulf.

Curt, you gonna ride this one out or get the hell outta Dodge?
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

We're staying here. The house is on relatively high ground, evac zone 5, and winds are predicted to be in the low 50mph range. I just heard a mandatory evacuation order for zones 1 thru 3, and mobile home parks. Which is pretty standard cya for the city.

Have fun and stay safe.
    "para todo mal, mezcal, y para todo bien también" (for everything bad, mezcal, and for everything good, as well.)

When DeSantis applies for FEMA aid, tell him to ask Reagan.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Our summer neighbors here retired to a Florida retirement house just this past winter. They are here now and we were going to take them to the airport tomorrow. They've delayed their trip a week and are very nervous about how their new place there will come through. It's on one of the canal communities on the west coast under surge threat.
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

I talked with my sister yesterday. She and my brother in law live just south of the sunshine bridge near 41 and are staying. Two gennies, 120gal fuel(gasoline) in the power boat parked in the driveway and tied down for use in the generators, plenty of water and of course a window AC unit for the bedroom. They just had a new double wide installed on there lot and were told it'll withstand 180mph winds. I'm not sure about rain or a storm surge for them though. My BIL will probably stand outside and shake his fist at it lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Curtism View Post
    Yikes is right. take care of yourself and your loved ones. heard the surge will be 7 foot and if parked over the water off the coast for a bit even worse with 10s of inches of rain. Your place with the dock could be really hammered.

You will have a heck of a clean up in the weeks to come.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-27-2022 at 11:34 AM.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

I was talking to a women here in Vermont yesterday who has a winter mobile home in Tampa.
    I hope it's still there after the storm.

We have family in Venice. This latest turn takes Ian a little south of Tampa - and right towards Venice! Their development is about 5 miles from the Gulf but it is just so flat there.

Windy is projecting Englewood around 1600 h tomorrow.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Pretty lively down in Key West:

https://southernmostpointwebcam.com/

Good luck and be careful to anyone caught up in this storm. Looks very hairy indeed.

Would someone please tell the meaty urologists that hurricanes don't 'take aim' or 'set their sights' on anything. They're not sentient beings; they just go wherever the steering currents push/pull them. This morning, it looks like Ft Meyers is going to get hit by a Cat 4. Yikes!

Meaty urologist, funny. I needed a chuckle this morning.

NPR just reported top sustained winds at 155 mph, 2 mph shy of a cat 5. It's looking like Ft Meyers/Cape coral area is going to see the brunt of it, once again, as it makes landfall. Like Irma Ian was predicted to land in the Tampa Bay area but ended up taking an eastward jog and cross the state south of here, putting us on the less fierce side of things. Latest forecast was for top sustained winds of 38 after midnight tonight. We started getting outer bands of rain and light gusts around 2am.

Best of luck to those south of us!

We found out last night our family in Venice aren’t leaving. Two in their 70s and one in their 90s. Their house is 10 feet above sea level 5 miles from the coast. Fingers crossed.

We have family in Venice. This latest turn takes Ian a little south of Tampa - and right towards Venice! Their development is about 5 miles from the Gulf but it is just so flat there.
    Sounds like my mother's neighborhood, Steven. Her place is closer to the water and has been evacuated.

Fitz.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

They are in Island Walk. Venice has evacuated zones A and B. The line between zone B and zone C runs right through Island Walk. I’d feel better if they had moved to higher ground.

It's always the ages old gamble whether to evacuate or not. You simply don't know exactly where the worst of the storm will be, often until its too late to flee. Steven, I hope your folks stay put and come through alright.

And for others with people in the path of Ian, whatever you do, don't freak out if you lose contact with them. Power goes out, internet generally goes with it, cell towers go down . . . After Irma it was days before I could get a signal on my phone and we had no power for a week. I had a bunch of frantic voicemails once the signal came back.

Some folks don't understand the whole evacuation thing. For reference check with Houston a few years ago, where tens of thousands of people were stranded on the highways because all of the gas had been bought out, the motels were all full, and there was nowhere to go and no way to get there. You don't know for certain how it is going to affect you because a shift of 50-60 miles makes a big difference on the severity, and you won't know it's track until just before it hits.

I know that these things are scary. I have lived on the coast all of my life, but given the choice of riding it out at home or being stuck somewhere with the chance of actually being told I am not allowed back into my property for up to weeks at a time, property where I have gasoline and chainsaws and plenty of food and water? What would you do?

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

Looks like Fort Meyers is going to get wiped off the map.
    I've got distant family in Naples. I'm hoping they are hundreds of miles away by now.

The next week will give Ron DeSantis something other to do then abuse illegal immigrants.
    He's gonna have to grin and bear it when Biden shows up with billions of dollars in aid.
    It'll kill him to accept it from a Democratic president.

If only Biden had such powers!
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    Would someone please tell the meaty urologists that hurricanes don't 'take aim' or 'set their sights' on anything. They're not sentient beings; they just go wherever the steering currents push/pull them.
    That Ian, he's a big-fella, no?
    Someone tell me he has his sights on Mar a Lago and tfg will be applying for federal assistance...

I have been watching videos of my Mom's street from a Ring doorbell that one of her neighbors has been posting on line. Unfortunately, I can't see my Mom's house from that angle, but I will take what I can get. Water is accumulating in the street more than I would like, but I don't see a great deal of damage in the park yet. One house did lose their car port. Power was still on there as of 3:40PM. Based on Weather Channel footage, Venice Pier is still there, but you can only see half way down the length of it. The bait shop is still there. We have that going for us, which is nice.

Trouble is this storm has a long way to go.

Burlington, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada.

Good luck to all affected. We were just through it with Fiona in parts of NS, NL, NB, PQ, and PEI. Whole towns devastated and houses swept to sea from the surge and waves. We are a mere few hundred km from the devastation and dodged the bullet. Just double checked, our house is 127 feet asl.
    Stay calm, be brave....wait for the signs. Possibly precariously prevaricating.

We haven’t heard from them since 1:15 but they probably don’t have cell phone reception. The worst storm surge was well south of them.