Thread: Dart and Dimorphos

Default Dart and Dimorphos

Just an hour or so away from impact.

Of course, after the last few years of pestilence, war, cost-of-living, and all the rest of it, a tiny part of me expects Dimorphos to actually be an advanced Earth Sentry Base, run by the warlike Arcturans, who are going to be mightily cross, quite shortly.

Andy
    "In case of fire ring Fellside 75..."

Default Re: Dart and Dimorphos

Watch live at this link to NPR's website: http://sciencealert.com/a-nasa-space...atch-live-here

Miscalculation results in direct hit on north america. At long last.

That was freaking awesome. I hope they moved it!
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

Last full frame. The big rocks are ~5m across.

final.jpg

No sign of Arcturan Death Lasers.

Andy

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Quote Originally Posted by AndyG View Post
    No sign of Arcturan Death Lasers.

Andy
    That's what you say. I'm waiting on MTG to let us know the truth.

How massive would and asteroid have to be to be danger?
    Then, how massive, and fast (p=mv) would the impactor have to be to move it away from earth?
    Can we lift such a payload?

Quote Originally Posted by David W Pratt View Post
    Then, how massive, and fast (p=mv) would the impactor have to be to move it away from earth?
    it depends how far away from earth the diversion attempt is made
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I tuned in; thought it was pretty cool. The surface texture really surprised me. They won't know for a bit just what measurable effect it had, but it's as good a way to spend $350 million as any, I guess. What price to save the planet?
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    it depends how far away from earth the diversion attempt is made
    And that is problematic. You need to recognize it early, get an accurate trajectory, and intercept it as far from the Earth (and Sun) as you can. That's not easy. These are dark objects and it takes a long time to get to the interception point.

The good news is that collisions of a large asteroid with Earth are very rare. Even the near misses that pass inside the orbit of the moon are relatively rare. Then the area of the moon's orbit is 200,000 times the cross section of the Earth, so even that represents a very low threat level.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

It is quite an amazing feat to hit a small target in the vastness of space. I for one have not lost my sense of wonder.
    Humans are strange cattle, there's this, and there's Jan. 6. I wonder what group will win out, if any do.

i watched Scott Manley last night. It'll be interesting to see just how much the impact altered the orbital period but we won't know for a few weeks.
    Will

How massive would and asteroid have to be to be danger?
    Can we lift such a payload?
    1/ Anything under 100m diameter might, at best, blast a few windows out. At 1km diameter you can destroy a city. There's little on the scale of the dinosaur killers, and we can spot those much more easily than a T. Rex ever could.

2/ Early detection massively increases our odds. It's not a question so much of 'where' as 'when'. The Earth moves at around 30km/s around the Sun. At 12700km in diameter, you only need to adjust the 'arrival time' by three and a half minutes to avoid an impact. Given a year or two's notice, the force required on a large asteroid is fairly large, but for potential impacts 500 years away (most likely) it's easy.

I just read a short article, http://sciencealert.com/we-might-hav...largest-crater that says new analysis of evidence suggests the largest impact crater, which is in Africa, measures three hundred kilometers acoss, and was the result of an impact with an asteroid between twenty and twenty-five kilometers across, and travelling at a twenty kilometers per second prior to impact. Bigger than the one that aced the dinosaurs but two billion years earlier, when there were no trees and only single-celled animules, and two billion years of weathering makes it difficult to be more precise.