Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: holy ****ing **** ted hoppe!!!

Default holy ****ing **** ted hoppe!!!

the biden white house is hosting a week long conference focused on how to integrate a healthy diet into better health outcomes and how we deliver that information through medical care and advice

https://health.gov/our-work/nutritio...ion-and-health

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/26/11250...ion-and-hunger
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: holy ****ing **** ted hoppe!!!

It's a plot.

I'm sure it's really about how to bring the Obamas back to the White House to plant gardens and talk up exercise.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    the biden white house is hosting a week long conference focused on how to integrate a healthy diet into better health outcomes and how we deliver that information through medical care and advice

https://health.gov/our-work/nutritio...ion-and-health

https://www.npr.org/2022/09/26/11250...ion-and-hunger
    They would be better buying some prime time advertising on 't telly.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Bingo!

let talk about getting healthy over profits, sloth, fears and ignorance.
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Eating healthily creates a better stronger immune system. Who knew?

Most people have the means and ability to make good enough choices. But many insist on making other choices. I don't think the government is going to change much if any.
    Life is complex.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

ax yer dockter if veg is might be a good fit for you

The Gubmint might have to organize cooking lessons as well.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

many americans don't have much day to day choice, really.

the effective thing would be going straight at fast food and convenience stores. go where most americans get their food and drink, make the food and drink better.

trouble is, you end up like bloomberg, trying to limit the soda cup size. gotta start somewhere though.

Ted's a man ahead of his time! Or behind. Or sideways. Or wandering in left field. Or stumbled into the portal to a parallel universe. Or... <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

What are they serving?

People know better and make choices. Driving 55 reduces greenhouse gas and helps the air quality. Any takers?

Didn't Carter try something similar? There's a lot of money in bad food.
    There is no rational, logical, or physical description of how free will could exist. It therefore makes no sense to praise or condemn anyone on the grounds they are a free willed self that made one choice but could have chosen something else. There is no evidence that such a situation is possible in our Universe. Demonstrate otherwise and I will be thrilled.

There's a lot money in any plant or vegetable that you can reduce to a white powder

sounds like fat shaming

Sounds like reducing the medical bills and improving peoples lifw outcomes Alan, but you can't cure stupid…….

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Sounds like reducing the medical bills and improving peoples lifw outcomes Alan,
    yeah i wonder if alan even followed the links

because i didn't get fat shaming out of them

yall need to get out more

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    many americans don't have much day to day choice, really.

the effective thing would be going straight at fast food and convenience stores. go where most americans get their food and drink, make the food and drink better.
    Obesity is an underlying cause of many health issues. The average consumption of calories has gone up since the 70's. Sufficient for me to think it is not the food but the quantity of food that is the poor choice.

https://www.vox.com/a/explain-food-america
    Since 1970, the incidence of obesity has more than doubled to about 35 percent of adults. At the same time, Americans are eating roughly 400 more calories a day, an increase of about 20 percent. Guyenet argues that the mathematics works out such that this one trend — the increase in calorie consumption — can account for the entire rise in obesity.
    I remember many years in my life when I would lose weight despite eating a huge number of empty calories. Sunday night was time to put on weight for the next week. I easily got the the essential nutrients a diet with little fruit or vegetables.

Even now my diet is trash. I get a banana everyday, 4oz of strawberries every other day, and a sandwich - 2 slices of bead, 2 tomatoes, 2 mushrooms, 4 romaine leaves, every couple days. I balance it with 6oz of ice cream most days and 750 cal of candy bar on my hiking days. (Refried beans, cheese, waffles, and milk fill out my day.)
    Life is complex.

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    It is a fact that there is a positive correlation between obesity and tendency to vote republican.
    Hey that is an interesting and provocative thesis - I think I will check it out . . .

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Even now my diet is trash. I get a banana everyday, 4oz of strawberries every other day, and a sandwich - 2 slices of bead, 2 tomatoes, 2 mushrooms, 4 romaine leaves, every couple days. I balance it with 6oz of ice cream most days and 750 cal of candy bar on my hiking days. (Refried beans, cheese, waffles, and milk fill out my day.)
    That sounds like a perfectly good diet. A bit less than I burn, but not unhealthy.

Dare I mention public health and governments having a vested interest in a healthy society. Healthy eating becoming part of school curriculum, part of the general preventative medicine lifestyle and so forth through to end of life.

Is it a stretch to link financial stress with bad eating habits. I recall it being noted that people who earn little often make poor life choices - like with food. Salt, sugar and fat are hardwired into our brains - it takes a lot to overcome that (will power, space to reflect and means).
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Food quality is an important factor in this whole debate. Much of the north America eat GMO corn and wheat, cheap industrial meats filled with tremendous antibiotics and unnatural hormones, high fructose corn syrups and very little vegetables. If one buys most of their groceries like the dollar store as 10s of millions do, of courses they will be sick. Poor food quality results in lower energy levels, intellectual performance, hormonal imbalances and physical illness. The endless cycle of poor performance and development is hard to get off once on. The correlation between poor food diets and emotional state is undeniable, when people eat people you feel like crap. People that feel like crap do no nicely socialize properly, do not function at best levels, do not feel like physically exertion or recreation, will turn to self medication and will turn further inward creating greater personal self isolation.

all corn since about 12000 bc has been genetically engineered/modified
    it wouldn't propagate as corn otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    when people eat people you feel like crap
    one of the greatest pre- coffee early morning posts ever

Food quality is an important factor in this whole debate. Much of the north America eat GMO corn and wheat, cheap industrial meats filled with tremendous antibiotics and unnatural hormones, high fructose corn syrups and very little vegetables. If one buys most of their groceries like the dollar store as 10s of millions do, of courses they will be sick. Poor food quality results in lower energy levels, intellectual performance, hormonal imbalances and physical illness. The endless cycle of poor performance and development is hard to get off once on. The correlation between poor food diets and emotional state is undeniable, when people eat people you feel like crap. People that feel like crap do no nicely socialize properly, do not function at best levels, do not feel like physically exertion or recreation, will turn to self medication and will turn further inward creating greater personal self isolation.
    what you are describing is the real "wealth gap". the one that matters.

not between you and me and billionaires. between you and me and the underclasses who don't have access or wherewithal to "live better".

you mention grocery shopping at the dollar store. there are significant populations in this country who don't have access to good groceries. or the time or energy or morale to do something about it.

all corn since about 12000 bc has been genetically engineered/modified
    it wouldn't propagate as corn otherwise
    the wheat is not the same. The wheat we eat here in north america does not have the same proteins that folks in most of Europe eat. In France and Germany - people are normal size. In America they are supersized.

you mention grocery shopping at the dollar store. there are significant populations in this country who don't have access to good groceries. or the time or energy or morale to do something about it.
    for a long long time while i lived in michigan, more than a decade for sure, there wasn't a single grocery store or supermarket in the city of detroit itself; and when the first one did open to great fanfare it was a whole foods, lol

not between you and me and billionaires. between you and me and the underclasses who don't have access or wherewithal to "live better".

There is a wealth gap and the ability to get access to the food with the most nutritional value and fewer air-born toxins in the farmland, sprayed pesticides and fertilizers. Most people can not afford quality food even if they had a store near to buy it from.
    Most do not have to the time to source let alone cook if they are going to try to fit in the work and life. I remember when McDonalds was a treat once a month. Now it is often twice a week or more for many. McDonalds in order to increase their margins have reduced the size of the meals, increased the sugar content and buy food stuffs that many would consider substandard. (on my recent ride in Germany, i stopped at McDonalds twice as they have free internet. I was surprised on how different the quality of food was in those stores, it was actually quality compared to ours with a lower price point.)

The real problem is the states and federal government subsidize the wrong aspects and parts of the food industries. In an effort for bigger profits and control of the market, the food quality suffers as most do not even realize what they are buying. We are really being driven into poor choices by our own diet and addiction to sugars in our food which makes this whole thing complicated.

for a long long time while i lived in michigan, more than a decade for sure, there wasn't a single grocery store or supermarket in the city of detroit itself; and when the first one did open to great fanfare it was a whole foods, lol
    yes, admonishing americans to "eat better"...you are mostly speaking meaningfully to the upper middle class. and the greatest prevalence of obesity is in the poor and barely middle class. whose diets are defined by the food available around them. mcdonalds. taco bell. dollar store. plaid pantry.

yes, admonishing americans to "eat better"...you are mostly speaking meaningfully to the upper middle class. and the greatest prevalence of obesity is in the poor and barely middle class. whose diets are defined by the food available around them. mcdonalds. taco bell. dollar store. plaid pantry.
    They are also the ones that suffered the greatest loses during covid and have lowest educational scores for their children (made even worse by the shutdowns of schools due to Covid fears and no school food programs to feed them). Poor food quality or lack of food when unavailable means lower IQs and a huge loss of intellectual growth that will play out for generations to come.
    Last edited by Ted Hoppe; 09-27-2022 at 11:14 AM.

They are also the ones that suffered the greatest loses during covid and have lowest educational scores for their children (made even worse by the shutdowns of schools due to Covid fears and no school food programs to feed them). Poor food quality oer lack of food when available means lower IQs and a huge loss of intellectual growth that will play out for generations to come.
    poverty comes with a host of problems, childhood development being one, certainly.

but, childhood development issues are symptoms, not the cause, right?

the real imperitive should be getting food options to people who currently don't have any. a nutritional education campaign is kind of a wank without providing infrastructure.

we are not getting out of this with iceberg lettuce salads from mcdonalds.

True enough.

Though this issue of access to food stores (it's called 'food deserts') is not THE real wealth gap, but simply one manifestation of the wealth gap. I know a woman who's trying to do something about it in some small way in Portland. As a capitalist, she sees it as a market opportunity. But she also sees it as a social mission. Used to run 'New Seasons' grocery chain. Her new operation is 'Green Zebra'.

But I honestly don't see such efforts being the real solution. Again it's a case of - if the free market doesn't work in some circumstance, time for govt. intervention. By that, I mean change the incentives. Maybe a public/private partnership targeting those deserts.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

My father, a child of the depression and a man of rigid routine, has his morning coffee and breakfast about 7:00am, then walks down to the post office and local market.
    He picks up the mail, buys a box of a half dozen molasses doughnuts, then walks back home. The next day along with his coffee, he eats 3 of the six donuts to break his fast before heading off to the post office, the other 3 doughnuts are "lunch".
    He has never eaten a green salad, a raw vegetable, or fresh fruit in his life...
    He's 97, and last year he stopped walking to the post office. The end of a long tradition.
    I'm pretty convinced a long, healthy life is largely genetics.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    He has never eaten a green salad, a raw vegetable, or fresh fruit in his life...
    He's 97, and last year he stopped walking to the post office. The end of a long tradition.
    I'm pretty convinced a long, healthy life is largely genetics.
    I have to agree with you. My mother is 102 and healthy; still goes up & down the stairs to her bedroom in the house she was born in. She eats too many sweets, oversalts everything else, 2 big glasses of wine in the evening, dislikes most fruits, and indifferent to vegetables. Never did any structured exercise though she tries to be active. Avoids the doctor, takes no medications.

If I lived like her I'd be dead a long time ago.