Thread: LlBean

Default LlBean

I’m up in Maine for my daughter’s wedding and stopped by LlBean a couple days ago. First off Maine is effing gorgeous. All the flora wants to live fully before it’s crushed by winter. It pulls my heart like the north coast of California.
    So I went to LlBeans for a pair of slacks and it’s a trip. I’m the average age of the floor employees and 90% of the customers are over 50. Apparently our generation isn’t the oldest here.

We were at a small oyster farm w ice cream, pizza and sushi catered. Two thmbs up for Uproot Pie Co., Mr Tuna and brb w ice cream vendor’s name. My 3 yr old grandaughter was as high as a kite after the soft chocolate ice cream.

“LOOK at the STARS”
    Last edited by LeeG; 09-25-2022 at 02:31 PM.

Default Re: LlBean

An awful lot of Maine is just an incredible place. Dig deep into the coast from Belfast north and your heart may have trouble leaving.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Since " Linda Bean" came to the board I won't even go into that town never mind the store.
    (50 years ago I used to buy a few staples (Chamois shirts and boots) but with a portion of profits going to the GOP, never more)

Independent Maine lobstermen had some stiff competition from her when she tried to corporatize the entire lobster fishery throughout Maine by planning a chain of quaint Beans Lobster Shacks. It didn't go over well.

"Bean has tried to save money by controlling the process – from the dock to the lobster pound to the restaurant.
    Her business is called Linda Bean’s Perfect Maine. She recently opened a sandwich shop in Freeport, Maine, home to the L.L. Bean flagship retail store. She is about to open a sit-down restaurant there, too.
    She plans additional sandwich shops in Portland, Port Clyde and Camden, Maine, as well as Delray Beach, Florida. Eventually, she would like to see lobster rolls sold at walk-up restaurants and kiosks across the U.S.

Bean has bought wharves in Port Clyde, Vinalhaven and Tenant’s Harbor, tiny fishing communities along the state’s rocky coast where lobster men bring in their catch and tie up their boats.
    She acquired a lobster pound that can hold 80,000 pounds of lobster, and plans to open a processing plant in Rockland, Maine, that will prepare and freeze the meat."
    https://www.lindabeansperfectmaine.c...maine-lobster/

Anything thing you purchase from Beans, a portion will go to Trump and his cronies the republican party, Boycott LL Beans

Rand Paul?

"Linda Bean is now facing scrutiny for her donation of $60,000 to Making America Great Again, LLC, a Super PAC supporting Donald Trump. But Donald Trump was not her first pick for the Republican nomination.According to Open Secrets, during the 2016 election cycle, Bean also donated $35,000 to CARLY for America, a Super PAC supporting the candidacy of Carly Fiorina. She also donated about $15,000 directly to Rand Paul, another presidential hopeful in the 2016 election; Trump once insulted Paul’s physical appearance during a Republican primary debate. In addition, Bean donated to the Republican National Committee all throughout the election.
    It was not until after it became clear that Donald Trump would be the Republican party’s nominee that Bean donated any money to him; her first donation to Trump came in June 2016.
    During both the 2012 and the 2008 election cycles, Bean supported Ron Paul, donating thousands of dollars to directly to Paul and to Revolution PAC, a Super PAC supporting Ron Paul for president."

Comparing Obama to Hitler:

"“OBAMA is HITLERIAN in his course, and he is closing in VERY FAST to eliminate totally our liberty rights and heritage,” she wrote.Bean went on to say that if Barack Obama is re-elected, “America as we know it may well be gone in four years.”
    “We are on the precipice of losing our country!” Bean said. “4 years from now we may not even have a ballot.”
    Linda Bean

More here:
    https://heavy.com/news/2017/01/linda...r-restaurants/

I've never known any company that stands by its product like Bean. I wore out a briefcase and they replaced it free!
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I've never known any company that stands by its product like Bean. I wore out a briefcase and they replaced it free!
    I'll bet they still made money on it...

And the return/replacement policy has changed in the last couple of years. One year with proof of sale (receipt)

Do they sell anything other than apparel there? My first LLBean catalog from back on the 1960's listed some lust-worthy canoe camping equipment. camping, but no more, so I lost interest.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Do they sell anything other than apparel there? My first LLBean catalog from back on the 1960's listed some lust-worthy canoe camping equipment. camping, but no more, so I lost interest.
    They now have multiple catalogs for different subjects. Camping and hiking equipment, canoes, boots, fishing equipment, skiing equipment, car top carriers, dog pillows, back porch furniture, camp furnishing, bed sheets and blankets, and the best chocolate covered blueberries I have ever had!
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Lots of boating and camping stuff still. They have a whole store full of boat, bike and ski stuff right next to the flagship store. Sadly, Linda Bean is still on the Board of Directors.

Big fan. Now's the time too.
    One of the most enduring qualities of an old wooden boat is the smell it imparts to your clothing.

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    They now have multiple catalogs for different subjects. Camping and hiking equipment, canoes, boots, fishing equipment, skiing equipment, car top carriers, dog pillows, back porch furniture, camp furnishing, bed sheets and blankets, and the best chocolate covered blueberries I have ever had!
    Funny thing about that. I think the dye in the blue chocolate covered blueberries dyed my grandson’s poop.

Most of their goods are way overpriced. Compare with Cabela's, for example. I was in the discount shop in Ellsworth, Maine, today. Even at 30 percent off, it's no great deal.
    -Dave

At one time I purchased nearly all of my clothing from LL Bean. High quality, fair prices and good style fitting for an adult male. Now, I think they have lost track of who their customer base is. Skinny young boys with man-buns wearing goofy shirts with a 'french tuck' don't relate to this overweight senior!
    When the last tree is cut
    When the last river is dry
    When the last fish is caught
    Only then will Man realize that he cannot eat money.

Is the store still open 24 hrs a day?

Is the store still open 24 hrs a day?
    Yes.
    "Wherever there is a channel for water, there is a road for the canoe. " - Thoreau

I was just watching a recent clip of a young feller catching little Brook, Brown and Rainbow trout from a stream in the Catskill Mountains. He was using his "trusty old LLBean flyrod" JayInOz

We hit the one in Ellsworth on every trip north. Just can't seem to help ourselves.

Mickey Lake
    'A disciple of the Norse god of aesthetically pleasing boats, Johan Anker'

The main store has a large section devoted to camping, another to hunting gear, & another to fishing.

To the general topic:

I am no fan of Linda Bean, but they still sell stuff that's above average quality (in my experience, the equal of Eddie Bauer & Orvis) & have a pretty extensive selection of tall sizes. A shirt that's actually long enough to tuck in & sleeves that reach my wrists - what a concept. The people working in the stores are invariably friendly & helpful as well.

Their no questions asked, lifetime warranty went away because too many people abused it.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Most of their goods are way overpriced. Compare with Cabela's, for example. I was in the discount shop in Ellsworth, Maine, today. Even at 30 percent off, it's no great deal.
    There is a big difference in quality between LL Bean and Cabelas.

I agree, Steven. I have a Bean backpack and an 'emergency' bag that I keep in the truck with a blanket, gloves, scarf, cold weather stuff, and I expect both to last my lifetime.

Mickey Lake

I agree, Steven. I have a Bean backpack and an 'emergency' bag that I keep in the truck with a blanket, gloves, scarf, cold weather stuff, and I expect both to last my lifetime.

Mickey Lake

I love Beans

First off they sell "long" in many of their shirts. At 6'5" I need that (Also get Duluth long tail tees). I like to head up just after Christmas to get the big sales.

Have they tried to change with the times...well yes they have, and there is nothing wrong with that if they want to stay in business. but I still like the quality.

My daughter and I stopped there on Christmas eve after greeting my son at Portland Maine airport on his way back from Kuwait. We only had time for a quick beer before he had to continue on his way so the unit could drop off their gear before heading home.

The town was absolutely magical at night in the snow

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Their no questions asked, lifetime warranty went away because too many people abused it.
    REI had a similar arrangement "satisfaction guaranteed" policy. Anything could be returned at any time for any reason.

The main store had a large "garage sale" area near the rental desk selling off the stuff that had been returned. The tags stated the return reason.

You'd see stuff like clothing or 7- or 10-year old boots that just plain wore out. Older tents that had been flattened and destroyed in a microburst storm on top of a mountain.

A lot of people clearly abusing the return policy.

That return policy no longer exists.

It's now capped at 1 year and "doesn't cover ordinary wear and tear, or damage caused by improper use or accidents."
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Filson tops them all. A coworker occasionally wore his grandfather’s 110 year old wool shirt. Looked new. Had a pocket in the back. He thought you could shove the pheasant you just shot, in there.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

In college in NH back in the late 70's we made many a 2 am road trip tp Freeport to roam the Bean. You'd be surprised how busy that place was on a Saturday at 2-3 am...

Beans used to have a lot of serious outdoor clothing. Unfortunately a lot of it has turned into fashion bullshirt. The canvas hunting coat is now a Barn Coat and it doesnt have shotgun shell loops in the pockets any more or a zippered rear pocket for birds. The Kelty Parka was pretty much standard work wear back in the day; I dont even think they make it any more.
    I still buy blue cotton buttondown hirts and basic khakis cuz I know my size and dont have to go try anything on and the ragg wool socks are as good as ever.

Im distressed to hear that I'll be supporting the GOP by patronizing Beans. Might have to rethink that....dammit

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    There is a big difference in quality between LL Bean and Cabelas.
    Not any more. For example, they both sold the exact same Stohlquist made lifejacket a couple of years ago. Bean price 130. Cabela price 95. They used to sell Woolrich sourced clothing at a big markup. A big percentage of their clothing line is cotton. Great for home and office, but not for real outdoor activity. I could go on, but this is the pattern.
    -Dave

[QUOTE=willin woodworks; I know my size and dont have to go try anything on and the ragg wool socks are as good as ever.
    [/QUOTE]

I'm presently wearing thick comfy socks made from bamboo, and yesterday my wife bought really nice yarn made from sixty five percent wool and thirty five percent soybeans! The world is getting weirder

Quote Originally Posted by willin woodworks View Post
    In college in NH back in the late 70's we made many a 2 am road trip tp Freeport to roam the Bean. You'd be surprised how busy that place was on a Saturday at 2-3 am...

Beans used to have a lot of serious outdoor clothing. Unfortunately a lot of it has turned into fashion bullshirt. The canvas hunting coat is now a Barn Coat and it doesnt have shotgun shell loops in the pockets any more or a zippered rear pocket for birds. The Kelty Parka was pretty much standard work wear back in the day; I dont even think they make it any more.
    I still buy blue cotton buttondown hirts and basic khakis cuz I know my size and dont have to go try anything on and the ragg wool socks are as good as ever.

Im distressed to hear that I'll be supporting the GOP by patronizing Beans. Might have to rethink that....dammit
    Kelty is a completely different brand than LLBean.

Quote Originally Posted by Woxbox View Post
    Not any more. For example, they both sold the exact same Stohlquist made lifejacket a couple of years ago. Bean price 130. Cabela price 95. They used to sell Woolrich sourced clothing at a big markup. A big percentage of their clothing line is cotton. Great for home and office, but not for real outdoor activity. I could go on, but this is the pattern.
    Beans still sells plenty of wool jackets. I’ve been thinking of getting one of their Maine Guide Jac-shirts. Maybe a hint to Santa is in order…..

https://www.llbean.com/llb/search/?f...+jacket&init=1