Thread: Trolling, line-caught salmon

Default Trolling, line-caught salmon

My boat Snoose is a converted salmon troller, (although she occasionally did some gill netting and other types of fishing). I often have to clarify “troller” vs. “trawler”. I’ve never been a fisherman but I try to explain what little I know about the boat’s former function to interested folks. For instance, the reasons for her being a narrow double ender, and the overly large stern lazarette, or “troller hole”.

I think this video helps explain that, and why line-caught salmon is a much better fish when it gets to your table. (I wish they would have chosen different music.)

Default Re: Trolling, line-caught salmon

Fun video. I've mentioned before that before I went off to college, I sometimes crewed for a buddy of my dads on his little outboard, beach-launched, dory... trolling (hand-linging) for salmon. Whenever his regular crew got a case of the 'bottle-flu'. Nothing like the sort of elaborate rigging that the video showed, just buckets of baited hooks on long lines. Marvelous money for a kid, and I always brought a fish or two home for my mom.

The odd thing about the video that really struck me hard was... they just catching babies. Further evidence that the salmon runs continue to degrade. Even up in Alaska, one of the last bastions of wild runs. Let me once again recommend 'Salmon' by Kurlansky. Excellent book... and thoughtful description of the problem and some possible solutions.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I knew a guy that trolled salmon out of Moss Landing, north of Monterey, CA. Solo, days at a time. I asked him, what do you do during a storm? He said, I close everything up, get behind the wheel, and play my trumpet. The water turns white and the sky turns black.

He brought me the most awesome salmon I ever had.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

I trolled commercially for 3 seasons. And, yes, I have had people correct me by saying, "you mean you worked on a trawler..." Um, no.

Back then you could make a living catching a 100 fish a day. Troll caught fish are processed on the boat and carefully iced. They are a superior fish

A great book about trolling is Edith Iglauer's book Fishing with John

What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

Thanks, I'll see if i can hunt that one up.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Spent a while in Sitka and got to know the head of the fish co-op and several of his captains. I really came to fancy good fresh fish during my stay.

There are CSF co-ops that sell troll-caught wild fish online and ship frozen packs to the 'States. We buy from Sitka Salmon Shares.

We're lucky to have a local business that 'flys it in' daily, on ice - and it's a superior product, no question. Troll caught.

Many years ago I spent time in Soldotna, and caught a few salmon - but these were heading up the river. It was mighty good - but I recognize the difference.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Are there really people who don't know the difference between a trawl and troll?

Troll gear:

https://www.fao.org/fishery/services..._09.5_img1.jpg

Trawl gear:

One is rather more selective than the other (and I suspect, produces far less bycatch.)
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Worst are the bottom trawlers. Like bulldozing the seabed.

Very high percentage of by-catch. Releases huge amounts of carbon.

Yup. If there is to be any commercial salmon harvest (a different debate) it should only be troller. Get rid of the nets. Fish will be more expensive, but it damn well should be.

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Yup. If there is to be any commercial salmon harvest (a different debate) it should only be troller. Get rid of the nets. Fish will be more expensive, but it damn well should be.
    In the short term, I agree. I'd like to aim longer, and get the runs back up to a robust level.

Have you read Kurlansky's 'Salmon'. Excellent explanation of how we got to this dismal point, and suggestions for a paradigm shift that would potentially reverse the process.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks