Thread: wonder how young this guy was when he was diagnosed with cancer

Default wonder how young this guy was when he was diagnosed with cancer

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: wonder how young this guy was when he was diagnosed with cancer

and the flag man!

needs a new umbrelly. christ.

Never got that house on the beach in South America thats for sure, but he probably lived a lot longer than the guy with the umbrella.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I saw that several days ago. I remember those days watching the planes and the guy with the flag while I was nearby on my horse. Also around that time, I remember my father and I playing with mercury letting it roll around on our hands, crimping lead fishing weights on with our teeth, and getting all cuts and scrapes painted with Merthiolate.

Elemental Mercury is not as hazardous as we have been led to believe. I think that a lot of us played with it as kids (I sure did)
    Even if you drank some of it you would likely not be harmed...

"Quicksilver (liquid metallic mercury) is poorly absorbed by ingestion and skin contact. Its vapor is the most hazardous form. Animal data indicate less than 0.01% of ingested mercury is absorbed through the intact gastrointestinal tract, though it may not be true for individuals with ileus. Cases of systemic toxicity from accidental swallowing are rare, and attempted suicide via intravenous injection does not appear to result in systemic toxicity,[31] though it still causes damage by physically blocking blood vessels both at the site of injection and the lungs. Though not studied quantitatively, the physical properties of liquid elemental mercury limit its absorption through intact skin and in light of its very low absorption rate from the gastrointestinal tract, skin absorption would not be high.[38] Some mercury vapor is absorbed dermally, but uptake by this route is only about 1% of that by inhalation"
    wiki

I worked on the ground side for a 'Top Dressing' outfit in 1970, not long, as it was chaotic. Lots of stories about poisoning of the careless.
    Now, around here in France, lotsa talk about how to do away with 'Round-Up' which the farmers can still use(we can't) at higher concentration than was sold to the general population. Then, several places where high incidents of cancer are being blamed on pesticides.
    The guy in the vid did seem pretty careless about handling the 'product'
    As a side comment, every crop duster pilot I knew had crashed at least one aircraft. Nearly all of them have tube frames and the bits around the cockpit have a slight outwards curve. So, if the worst happens, the tube will go out, rather than in...
    Of course, he is flying a Steerman, where-as I delt with Piper Pawnees and Cessna Agwagons, built for the job. Back then, if work was short, the bottom end was mosquito control in the the Sudan.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

The Huff-Daland Duster was designed in 1925 for a new method of controlling agricultural insect pests, aerial crop dusting. The Huff-Daland Manufacturing Company modified its sturdy Petrel military biplane with a large hopper for chemicals and spraying equipment and established the nation's first aerial dusting business, Huff-Daland Duster Company of Macon, Georgia and later, Monroe, Louisiana.

1928: C.E. Woolman, the principal founder of what would become Delta Air Lines, leads movement to buy Huff Daland Dusters. Renamed Delta Air Service for the Mississippi Delta region it served, the new airline is incorporated on Dec. 3, 1928. D.Y. Smith, President; Woolman first Vice President.

1929: Delta operates its first passenger flight from Dallas, Texas, to Jackson, Miss., with stops in Shreveport and Monroe, La. Service soon expands to Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, Ala., and Meridian, Miss.