Thread: Whats for Dinner - Car wiring harness

Angry Whats for Dinner - Car wiring harness

Went to Italy for a month and came home to a rats nest in our service van. Jumped it and drove it to the dealer, they are diagnosing it all. The major theory is that rats ate the wiring harness.

This is not our first rodeo with vermin in the engine. It seems that they make these wiring harnesses out of soy and the rodents love it. Iím like why donít they just sprinkle it with cheddar cheese ?

The best part itís not covered in warranty the van is only two years old so itís probably going to cost me thousands of out of pocket $$$$ for a wiring harness made out of something tasty to rats.

Hereís an idea why donít they add a little rat poison to the soy mix and save me the trouble and added expense.

Default Re: Whats for Dinner - Car wiring harness

will your insurance policy cover it?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    will your insurance policy cover it?
    Good Idea I’ll call my progressive corp fleet insurance policy Monday I’m just pissed, because the guy that was watching our place and dog used my Tela and ran into a curb and now thats in the shop getting fixed, so we are using our Vespas for transportation now.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

We had problems with rabbits chewing up auto wiring and spent $1400 fixing it.

Now, I prop the hood up with a plastic jug so there's light (which they don't like). Also bought some deer repellent (fox or coyote pee) and soaked a board that I put on the ground under the oilpan.

No problems since.

What do the rats eat when you are home? Do you see sign of them?

What is it with critters eating cars?
    I haven't had a bit of trouble along those lines in almost 50 years of owning cars.
    I guess northeast critters don't have any taste for car wires.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Recently driven cars with nice warm engine compartments in our open carports in NJ attracted pregnant 'possums to build nests and have their pups (?) there. The engine compartments were solid sticks guarded by a really aggressive Mama Possum. I went turkey hunting in God's Country a while ago. While I was shivering in the pre-dawn woods a woodchuck decided the warm engine compartment was a great place for a nap. I started the truck not knowing it was in there and the resulting banging scared me badly. I got the partly bald woodchuck out of the truck and back to chucking wood.

Years ago a friend drove up from Santa Barbara in his VW Bug and when he arrived he pulled into the driveway, shut it off and walked around it saying his car was "making a funny noise", would I look at it? It was still making a faint noise just sitting there in the driveway...
    Well, a kitten had made the journey (250 miles) wedged in behind the fan housing on that 40 hp air cooled motor, apparently wailing for his life most of way.
    Almost impossible to retrieve, I did it and by some miracle the kitten was fine, just oily, dirty and a bit shook up. We kept it as a pet...called it "Dusty"

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Jones View Post
    What is it with critters eating cars?
    I haven't had a bit of trouble along those lines in almost 50 years of owning cars.
    I guess northeast critters don't have any taste for car wires.
    Same here... although I have on rare occasions found a cache of acorns in the engine compartment, left by squirrels. They don't cause any problems, though.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Squirrels ate the wiring harness on my Tundra. Roughly $2,500 to repair. Luckily, my agent found a way to have the homeowner's portion pay for most of it. Mechanics, iirc, sprinkled cayenne on the repaired assembly. No repeat so far.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Chipmunks have bit through 2 wires under my 1993 F-150. Once the wire to engage 4WD and once to the speed sensor on the differential. The automatic transmission doesn't shift right without the speed sensor. Both times, I just had to splice the wires back together.

Well some good news this morning. It seems despite the nest, and nuts and rodent poo the rodents dod not destroy the wiring harness it just needed a new battery.

All is good, now to get some rodent deterrent and spray it in all the vans
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

spray a bit on the 'friend' who dinged up your Tesla.

WTH? not sure I'd share mine!
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Rats are funny. Sometimes stuff used to repel attracts.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    Rats are funny. Sometimes stuff used to repel attracts.
    Witness TFG

Rodents eating vehicle wiring can cause serious damage. Here is our 2000 Honda CR-V (best car ever built) that burst into flames last year:

honda fire resized_02.jpg

The car was so old that we only carried liability insurance, so it was a total loss. Homeowner's insurance paid for two canoes and other items damaged in the fire.

This summer my 2008 Tacoma developed a weird electrical problem that was also caused by rodents eating the wiring. There was no fire. Insurance paid for the repair, less $100 deductible.

Wiring insulation in current production cars is soy based instead of petroleum based. Apparently the soy insulation is tasty. Honda, Toyota, Kia, and Hyundai have had class action lawsuits about this defect.

https://nhoilundercoating.com/soy-ba...keep-mice-out/
    "George Washington as a boy
    was ignorant of the commonest
    accomplishments of youth.
    He could not even lie."

-- Mark Twain