Thread: Minor assembly required...

Default Minor assembly required...

After 40+ years of struggling with my old 12" Craftsman bandsaw, I finally got my hands on a 14" Delta. I've been looking for one for a long time, and prices have shot up lately. You used to be able to find a serviceable one for $200 or so, but now they are bringing $400 and up, at least around here. Anyhow, this basket case turned up, and it's like a lost puppy to me- Who could resist? It's a 1958, and came out of a school shop that closed in 1960. It would be pristine, except somehow it got left outside for a period of time. As such, I decided to finish the disassembly and put new bearings and tires on it. I'll treat it to a rattle-can paint job while I have it all apart. The guy I bought it from bought some new parts, and for some reason, dropped $175 on having the original motor rebuilt. Should be a nice addition to the shop. I just need to get it back together before it becomes yet another long-term project.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Minor assembly required...

Nice find! I brought one of those back to life a few years ago. Works great now.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

I use my late '70's era Delta almost daily. Best thing I ever did for it (besides changing the 1/2 hp 120V motor to a 3/4 hp one I wired for 240VAC) was swapping out the steel blade guides for a set of ball-bearing guides from Carter Products.

I'm thinking about making a set of ball-bearing guides. I'm a retired tool maker with a home machine shop, so that's just the kind of project I enjoy. That, and I'm poor and cheap.

I have an ancient 14" Delta too. Lovely saw! I replaced the steel guides with a set of ceramic ones from Woodcraft Supply(?), and they made a huge difference. I also mounted a brush to clean dust buildup off the bottom wheel and a homemade fixture to hold the end of a vacuum cleaner hose next to the bottom guides.

Quote Originally Posted by MushCreek View Post
    I'm thinking about making a set of ball-bearing guides. I'm a retired tool maker with a home machine shop, so that's just the kind of project I enjoy.
    You one-upped me there bud! My metalworking skills revolve around hacksaw & mill file at best. Wood I can manage, a little plastic (when wood just won't work well) if necessary.

With your experience & tools you can make a 6" extension block! Finding one w/o the other bits for ballast could be tricky. Mine I ordered with my saw, very handy for re-sawing. Good luck with your projects!

Riser kits are available but they are not cheap. My saw came with the riser block but the other parts needed (longer guide post, longer upper guard, a few other bits) were cannibalized by the seller for another saw so I had to source them. I found everything I needed on eBay though, and the parts I received appear to be OEM quality. Most of the parts for these saws are readily available on eBay. I covet the belt guard on your saw though, MushCreek. That's worth more than a running saw all by itself.

If it's useful at all, I posted about the resurrection of my bandsaw a few years ago here: http://forum.woodenboat.com/showthre...l-quot/page118
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

the Bible, published yearly by Louis Iturra of Iturra Designs, on Delta bandsaws, contains all of what you need to know about your saw. Call and request a catalogue (no website) 1-888-722-7078. Buy your stuff from Louis in acknowledgement of all the advice he has given you!

Great find! Those are nice saws for sure!!

Turns out that a band saw is a pretty simple little tool to refurbish. I got everything cleaned up and painted. I put new Blue Max tires on it, as well as new bearings throughout. I cleaned up the old guides. That's about all there is to it! I had to make the upper blade guide adjustment knobs, as they were missing. I put the whole thing on a Harbor Freight rolling tool base, which works surprisingly well for moving it around. I put a proper tool switch on it as well. Runs like a sewing machine!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sweet! Sawdust time!

Very nice!
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Good job with the refurb! (You change the upper wheel's tension spring too I hope?)

New bearings, urethane tires, decent switch, ball-bearing guides... it'll outlast you now!