Thread: cheese rind?

Default cheese rind?

I'm reading a book about Maine island life between the wars: The Weir by Ruth Moore. There are several references to "the cheese rind" which in context suggests that it is a part of a boat or perhaps a particular wave formation on the sea. Does anyone know what it refers to?

Default Re: cheese rind?

could it possibly have to with ice, i.e. 'rind ice'?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

looking at an example again, it might be the combing of a boat.(?)

Can you put a quote here? I have never heard the term applied to a boat but maybe I'll learn something today.

Found a reference to it but as a joke: Two masts , a cheese - rind deck , and a straw bottom are good enough for a coasting man (captain of a Maine coastal schooner). Harper's Weekly - Google Books that was 1908
    Last edited by Tom Hunter; 09-24-2022 at 09:36 AM.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

Guessing: A rind deck may refer to an old deck; one in which the planks have had the softer tissue between the grain removed, leaving a ridged surface.

Paul: rime.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

here's one of the examples :cheese rind 1.jpg

Might have been a colloquialism for the very edge, a bit like skin of your teeth.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Well, it's higher than the deck. I'm still baffled. However it is one word in the text; cheeserind, not cheese rind. That is important if you are using Google to figure it out.

We are in good company, in 1980 the American Dialect society could not find out what is was either: NADS.12.3.pdf (americandialect.org)

Bruce you have done something that few people ever do, you have stumped the woodenboat forum, at least for a few hours.

Something here from the Friendship sloop society: 1998yearbook.pdf (fss.org)
    Last edited by Tom Hunter; 09-24-2022 at 02:56 PM.
    Yachting, the only sport where you get to be a mechanic, electrician, plumber and carpenter

And this from 1982 There was an urgency to his arrival, so that I barely shipped the portside oar before he cut his motor and grabbed our cheeserind to slow his momentum, One that (thankfully) got away - CSMonitor.com

I wonder if it’s the reinforcement commonly put over planking on the part of the hull where lobster traps are hauled up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hunter View Post
    And this from 1982 There was an urgency to his arrival, so that I barely shipped the portside oar before he cut his motor and grabbed our cheeserind to slow his momentum, One that (thankfully) got away - CSMonitor.com
    Quote Originally Posted by nrs5000 View Post
    I wonder if it’s the reinforcement commonly put over planking on the part of the hull where lobster traps are hauled up.
    That makes good sense.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

There is a mention of a “guard, which fishermen call a cheeserind” in a description of a Muscongus Bay sloop at page 20
    of this newsletter of the Friendship Sloop Society: http://www.fss.org/1998yearbook.pdf

i think the guards may refer to the rubbing strip at the gunwale.

I think you solved it, group! "Well, King, it looks like this case is closed." (habitual closing line from TV show, Sargent Preston of the Yukon, in the 50's)