Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Omfg

Default Re: Omfg

I enjoyed walking on the tracks in europe. Until I rode the train.

maybe that’s fixed now.

Project Lifesaver is the railroad industry's national effort to reduce this sort of unforgivable stupidity and negligence. "Any time is train time."
    The tunnel vision and group think of searching the alleged criminal's car over came the situational awareness that the squad is in harm's way.
    The female cop will have to look hard for space for her future prison tats.

Quote Originally Posted by The Ranger View Post
    The female cop will have to look hard for space for her future prison tats.
    she wasnt the cop who parked on the tracks

but, what was up with that weird 45 degree from upright grip angle she used to hold her service weapon
    that gives a really ****ed up sight picture especially on follow shots
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I recently talked to a female deputy here. She also had her arms covered with tats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Mahan View Post
    There does seem to be something compelling about walking on train tracks. It's maybe a more direct route and less observable if you're on foot through an area, and again, no trains in sight, so why not? Surely if a train were to come a person would simply just get off the tracks, and still people get killed doing just that. Who among us hasn't at one time walked along an empty train track?
    Except, if you've ever walked along a railroad track, the ties are spaced exactly wrong for any normal, adult human stride.

Walking on railroad tracks is almost painful.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

but, what was up with that weird 45 degree from upright grip angle she used to hold her service weapon

I didn't notice that.

Is that where the shooter rotates their wrist so the vertical plane of the pistol is somewhere between 9 and 10 o'clock, or 2 and 3 o'clock.?

That, I think, comes from watching too many action/cop movies.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post

That gun hold position is classic "street thug" or "gangsta" style which only hammers home the old saw about it being a very thin line between cop and criminal inasmuch as it could go either way when a potential cop* or potential criminal is choosing a career path.

*Not implying it is this way for every cop or criminal, but there certainly is a percentage within both ranks.
    "Unrepentant Reprobate"
    Lew Barrett

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin T View Post
    That gun hold position is classic "street thug" or "gangsta" style which only hammers home the old saw about it being a very thin line between cop and criminal inasmuch as it could go either way when a potential cop* or potential criminal is choosing a career path.
    it reinforces the thought that poor hiring and training practices exist at this department, as if we needed more evidence - bunch of f***wits

notice when the state authorities arrived they weren't much interested in searching her car for a gun or other evidence of crime, nor listening to the locals much either - what was important to them was finding out who the victim was

They watch the same movies. The movies are the same.
    If Russia wins, there will be no Ukraine; if Ukraine wins, there will be a new Russia.

-- Dmytro Kuleba, Foreign Minister of Ukraine

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Except, if you've ever walked along a railroad track, the ties are spaced exactly wrong for any normal, adult human stride.

Walking on railroad tracks is almost painful.
    People killed walking on tracks here along Shilshole happens. One of the problems is that there are two parallel tracks and some make the mistake of thinking one track is southbound and the other northbound like a street. Not true. And they think they can see any train coming toward them by walking on the left hand track.

There was a guy killed in Southwest MO years ago because he was doing his daily walk along the tracks while listening to a tape from a Sony Walkman.

The train came up behind him along a long tangent section of track—the crew went into full emergency stop immediately upon seeing him, but it was a long, heavy train traveling at track speed (about 50 mph) and he never heard it coming.

I drove to and from work along a highway that crossed over those tracks and I saw the train stopped. I didn’t know at the time exactly what had happened, but I knew something was wrong for the train to be stopped there, as it is a busy line and there are no passing sidings. My initial guess was that perhaps a coupler knuckle had failed.

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Default Omfg

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    There was a guy killed in Southwest MO years ago because he was doing his daily walk along the tracks while listening to a tape from a Sony Walkman.

The train came up behind him along a long tangent section of track—the crew went into full emergency stop immediately upon seeing him, but it was a long, heavy train traveling at track speed (about 50 mph) and he never heard it coming.
    I find it difficult to believe that people don't hear the train coming, even wearing earbuds. How loud do they have their tunes cranked up?

Those train air horns are loud. Post-2006 built locomotives must carry a horn that measures 96-110 dBa at 100 feet/30m forward of the engine in the direction of travel.

Older locomotives were louder -- the Nathan AirChime K5LA, designed for Amtrak in 1975, and one of the most popular train horns, is a 5-chime horn. It cranks out a B-flat Major 6th chord at 143 dBa. Still audible at 4 kilometers (2-1/2 miles), where it measures c. 70 dBa.

[Better get a big air compressor, though - it needs 150 SCFM @ 120 PSI]

I appreciate why trains have that loud horn, but it's still annoying when they lean on it, for like thirty seconds, at three in the morning. We live a quarter mile from tracks that feed the port. That Paul Simon lyric about how everyone loves the sound of a train in the distance mocks me as I lie awake in the whee hours.

It used to be said that one could identify an engineer from his signature crossing whistle. It’s always long long short long, but each engineer has a very distinctive style.