Thread: Looking for someone to come see boat I inherited and tell me IF its sea worthy

Default Looking for someone to come see boat I inherited and tell me IF its sea worthy

I've inherited my uncle 195? 196? Thompson 16-17ft wooden boat. I have friend who's great with motors and will replace water pump and get motor running for me but hes no boat expert. Im looking to pay someone for their time to come see boat and give me honest to God evaluation ....if boat is seaworthy and IF not what and how much money and work will it take. This boat has been in our family for awhile now. since 60s and I'd REALLY like to get it back in water and pass it on to the next generation after enjoying it a little more myself

PLEASE contact me if you can come and make it reasonable to come out and give me evaluation of boat. I will need 1-2 days notice due to it being in storage right now and will need to make it fully avail;able so person can see it ALL

PLEASE and Thanks in advanced
    or if you know someone PLEASE give them my information from here as well

Default Re: Looking for someone to come see boat I inherited and tell me IF its sea worthy

Welcome aboard! There are professional surveyors who can examine your boat for a price. Be sure to get one with experience on wood boats. There may also be an owner's association online where you can find information on typical areas of concern. What state are you in?

Default Re: Looking for someone to come see boat I inherited and tell me IF its sea worthy

Looks like Indiana (DeKalb). Better find a Thompson aficionado. Any boat shops around?

location?

there is a very active Thompson Boat facebook group (two actually): Thompson Antique & Classic Boat Rally AND Thompson Boat Owner's Group. There may be another Thompson boat fan nearby

Andreas

Welcome!
    There is also a DeKalb in northern N.Y state.
    Posting some detailed pictures would be a great help in our advising you.
    Pictures of how it sits on the trailer helps also. Many times these old runabouts get deformed bottoms by
    being improperly positioned on trailers.
    Has the boat been well protected over the years? Stored inside or out?
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

I agree, good pictures can probably get you 70+ % of the way there. We may be able to give an idea of major problems, or looks good enough to get a first hand evaluation.

I go along with the replies so far, Thompson clubs, forums and groups would be the first place to look. More than likely to get good recommendations for people specializing in Thompson boats rather than general boat shops or surveyors.

Quote Originally Posted by johngsandusky View Post
    Welcome aboard! There are professional surveyors who can examine your boat for a price. Be sure to get one with experience on wood boats. There may also be an owner's association online where you can find information on typical areas of concern. What state are you in?

Dekalb IL 60178 zip code
    Sorry wasnt getting emails went to junk folder fixed it now

Dekalb, IL 60178 any people you would recommend?

Thank you i tried here first will continue to look thanks

Im in Illinois sorry didnt make clear dekalb, IL

Im basically asking if BOAT WONT Sink is there someone I can have take a look at it...i'll pay you for your time and tell me If I put motor back on it...Can i bum around with it. I dont CARE if its perstine or mint, just not gonna sink or break due to rotten boards etc. I dont want pictures I would REALLY Like to have someone PHYSICALLY look at it in person. I
    ll pay for time if reasonable just to give me estimate or basic overall condition of boat?
    PLEASE and Thank you in advance?

Boat is located in Dekalb IL 60178 (well Geno but right around the corner)

Is there anyone wo would be willing to give me some time to take a look at it in the next 2-3 wks and if it needs reapir then I go from there NOT looking to dump lot of money it it...thats why Im trying to find out overall condition and sea worthiness

thanks in advance

60178 Dekalb, IL well boat is stored in Genoa which is 5-7 mins away
    Do you know anyone who would be willing to come see it for a fair price. Im not looking to RESTORE it..I just want it safe to take out cruising and maybe lil fishing ..I have boat motor being repaired 60HP Johnson but want to know about boats overall condition....ANY HELP would be apprecaited

Can I suggest that you give this shop a call?

http://www.woodboat.net/

They are an hour away from you and they specialize in wooden runabout repair. (I have no experience with them at all - just researching some options)
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

You (the OP) seem to want either a 'thumbs up' report or a band-aid fix. There's nothing wrong with this, but you are unlikely to get either from a surveyor or a repair shop, as they will invariably find something that needs fixing, and don't want their name attached to shoddy repairs. Even if a knowledgeable WBF member lived nearby, pronouncing a boat seaworthy implies a burden of responsibility and even liability that not everyone would want to take on.

It gets down to one of two things, I think: (1) Spend the money to have qualified people do the inspection and repairs, or (2) Take the time to educate yourself to identify problem areas and then train yourself and do the repairs. Your money or your time.

The third option (which I would be tempted to do, assuming the boat looked sound) is just drop it in the water and see what happens