Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Kicking in doors on tv or in movies

Default Re: Kicking in doors on tv or in movies

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh MacD View Post
    There is unfortunately a very sad possible background to this cartoon.
    In 1967 the was a very big fire at RAF Neatishead, a radar station in an underground bunker, the RAF firecrews couldn't cope, civilian crews were called in...
    Due to secrecy they had never been there before.. one of the three firemen that died was stuck behind a door he was trying to pull or push.. it was a sliding door.. the door was kept in the RAF fire station later.. used in fire safety lectures.. it still had the fireman's hand prints melted into the paint..
    Just an amateur bodging away..

As to breaking down doors.
    An old fashioned wooden door possibly with plywood panels, and a single point lock of mortice or rim lock can quite easily be kicked in with a single kick. Many older houses in the UK have these for front and back doors.

A modern 5 point locked door with steel frame to door and frame, whether the steel is just painted or concealed in uPVC or wood, is extremely hard to break down needing battering rams. sometimes it's the screws to the wall that will fail first..
    It's quite easy, though expensive, to make a door that will stop a police hand battering ram.

I did some work in a big supermarket cash office two armoured doors you'd never break down.. when I went to fit some new equipment to the walls, I discovered they'ed used soft airated blocks .. I could have gone through the walls in seconds with a lump hammer..
    Last edited by The Q; 09-24-2022 at 01:11 AM.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    give me a lever long enough, and a fulcrum on which to place it

and i shall move the world

If you made the lever. too long it would bend if the weight was excessive if you made it thicker you may need another lever to operate the first lever

Your turn Paul.

People shouldn’t be breaking down doors. Knock a few times then leave a note.

We never locked our doors until my granddaughter and her twins moved in. Makes them feel safer.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Doors in my country (interior doors exempt) generally open outwards and are quite sturdy. I don't see how it would be possible to kick such a door open. A chainsaw would work, at least on wooden doors.
    Interior doors are usually quite flimsy and neither stop determined people nor noise.
    /Erik

What do you do when the snow and ice pile up?

What do you do when the snow and ice pile up?
    The roof often extends a bit and protects the door. In the countryside you often have an extra small roof over the entrance, convenient also for taking off wet or snowy clothes before getting inside. However, in some locations the snow will drift and occasionally block the entrance, but then we also have windows. I've never experienced that the main door has been impossible to force open after a night of snowing, but I've heard stories (that might be true) of people who've been trapped and the most convenient way to get out was to use the windows on the second floor.
    /Erik

Quote Originally Posted by Chippie View Post
    If you made the lever. too long it would bend if the weight was excessive if you made it thicker you may need another lever to operate the first lever

Your turn Paul.
    [QUOTE]Secret retributions are always restoring the level, when disturbed, of the divine justice. It is impossible to tilt the beam. All the tyrants and proprietors and monopolists of the world in vain set their shoulders to heave the bar. Settles forevermore the ponderous equator to its line, and man and mote, and star and sun, must range to it, or be pulverized by the recoil."[11]
    William James, Varieties of Religious Experience, a Study in Human Nature/QUOTE]

Last to go and first to come most responsible person (having most of the responsibilities) at home dropped the keys somewhere.
    After thinking a little bit I drove back to the nearest market and struck a deal with a lock mechanic (so called lock master) for rupees three hundred. He unlocked the door and handed over a spare key to me.

L Originally Posted by Chippie

Your turn Paul.

Posted @ 46
    [QUOTE]Secret retributions are always restoring the level, when disturbed, of the divine justice. It is impossible to tilt the beam. All the tyrants and proprietors and monopolists of the world in vain set their shoulders to heave the bar. Settles forevermore the ponderous equator to its line, and man and mote, and star and sun, must range to it, or be pulverized by the recoil."[11]”
    William James, Varieties of Religious Experience, a Study in Human Nature/QUOTE]

Cripes!

I was only kidding honest Guv.

So that's why you didn't reply Paul you Swine

Last edited by Chippie; 09-25-2022 at 05:10 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bluedog225 View Post
    I was researching and discussing commercial metal doors in another forum. Heavy steel jamb, steel door, fire rating, etc. A german guy said “we call that a door.”

This is a concern in snowy climates here, as well. Many homes utilize storm doors in addition to the main door. These open outward.
    When it snows, you just have to be aware of that and clear it periodically during the snowfall.
    The same roof overhangs, covered porches and stoops, mud rooms, etc EGR posted about are also common.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.