Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: as hurricane fiona bears down on the maritimes, canadians brace themselves

Default as hurricane fiona bears down on the maritimes, canadians brace themselves

Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: as hurricane fiona bears down on the maritimes, canadians brace themselves

Where's his reserve supply? I hope he hasn't put in the water to keep cool……...

Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Default Re: as hurricane fiona bears down on the maritimes, canadians brace themselves

It's Schooner Beer.

He'll be right.

There was a 5.8 magnitude earthquake between the two islands of New Zealand yesterday, but I can find no mention of it on the forum- https://7news.com.au/weather/natural...uake-c-8326989 JayInOz

The struggle is to save the "storm chips " for the storm.

Storm chips are a real Maritime thing. Multiple flavors mixed in the same bag. Never seen them outside the Maritimes.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

It could be record low pressure . .

stay safe Y'all !!

Is that our dear departed (from this forum) Michael mmd?

Quote Originally Posted by JayInOz View Post
    There was a 5.8 magnitude earthquake between the two islands of New Zealand yesterday, but I can find no mention of it on the forum- https://7news.com.au/weather/natural...uake-c-8326989 JayInOz
    Are there any reports of damage yet, Jay?

The Atlantic Basin is busy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Not gonna be a good weekend to live on the South facing coast of Cape Breton. Or have a boat in the water there.

tw.jpg
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

This is the prediction for 2am Saturday. Holy crap!

934A8986-D6B7-4C91-99BE-EAAD5F188932.jpg

Yoiks! OK, for once I can honestly say I'm glad I'm not in Nova Scotia!

For reference, those S facing Cape Breton waves will be a bit taller than my 2 1/2 story house. With a fetch clear from Bermuda, I guess.

Adding more dock lines and springs maybe won't help that much .. .

Waves that large will break a good deal out from shore - except where water is deep close in.

But the storm surge will be nasty
    Last edited by sandtown; 09-23-2022 at 01:53 PM.

I don't know folks on that particular shore, but a friend of a friend is on the N shore of Nova Scotia, close to Cape Breton. The fetch is a lot less just across the strait to PEI, but it's still gonna be nasty. He's more worried about trees coming down on his house or trailer. Not that being inside the house worrying is likely to ward anything off.

Will there be a good tidal bore (sp?) at the head of the bay?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Up the Bay of Fundy? I'm not seeing them describe the risk as severe up the top end of the bay into New Brunswick. They are looking for about a 1.7M storm surge in addition to the high tide over where the winds will be stronger along the SE coast of Nova Scotia, and then up into Cape Breton.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Hazard View Post
    Are there any reports of damage yet, Jay?
    I don't think there was any , Rob.

I heard from Michael (mmd) on this & his big concern is Newfoundland harbours. Most face south & while great in normal weather - the waves coming from the south may do a whole lot of damage.

Be safe everyone up there!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Most of Nova Scotia and PEI are without power right now, and quite a bit of Eastern New Brunswick. The models seem to have been accurate, and landfall was in Cape Breton. Many roads are impassable, and people are being directed to shelter in place in NS and PEI, unless their structure was compromised.

I'm fine, as Fredericton is well out of the main path of the storm, but the winds here are still pretty exciting. I expect there are a bunch of trees down here too - bear in mind that all the trees are still in full leaf, unlike when we might have winter storms with these kind of winds.

Cbc radio out here is out, as a result of the power outages I suspect. Cbc has put the audio from the cbc cable news network over the radio broadcast feeds, and is doing storm coverage live from there.

It’s not that windy as hurricanes go, although of course that’s easy to say from my boat in Georgian Bay.

The TAF for St. Pierre and Miquelon predicts 50 kts.

Quote Originally Posted by TomF View Post
    I don't know folks on that particular shore, but a friend of a friend is on the N shore of Nova Scotia, close to Cape Breton. The fetch is a lot less just across the strait to PEI, but it's still gonna be nasty. He's more worried about trees coming down on his house or trailer. Not that being inside the house worrying is likely to ward anything off.
    Trees on Cape Breton? He must be quite a ways from the coast.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

I'm reminded of the big storm on Groundhog Day 1976, just before we moved from NB to MB. Incredibly daft as it seems now, we were leaning out over the little cliff where the back yard ended in Passamaquoddy Bay and letting the wind hold us up. I remember seeing a roof torn clean off, but the most impressive demonstration of its power came from a friend's place, where it tore the bark together with about 2" of sapwood off some of the trees.

What are you doing about it?

St. Paul, MN Mississippi River Milepost 840.2

Good luck folks. Hope the beer and storm chips hold out.

heard from mmd this morning; the wife, the dog, and he himself are all fine
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Thanks for that, Paul. It's a shame he's no longer on the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying Orca View Post
    Thanks for that, Paul. It's a shame he's no longer on the forum.
    I agree, it is a shame. Is he on facebook?

From Michael this AM (sorry for the delay I was out all day):

Whooo-eee! Fiona was a big ‘un!

By yesterday afternoon 80% of households and businesses in Nova Scotia were without power; in Prince Edward Island, 95% of the population was without power. Massive destruction in Cape Breton and the SW tip of Newfoundland. Houses washed out to sea, roads destroyed, wharfs and shore-side facilities – including entire fish-processing factories – utterly destroyed. Fortunately the toll on humans has been mercifully small so far; in Port aux Basques NL a woman was swept out to sea in her house when it was destroyed by the storm surge.

Port aux Basques, Newfoundland:

NS1.jpg

Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island:

NS2.jpg

Cape Breton, NS:

NS3.jpg

(Con.)

Me:

NS4.jpg

Mauren and I, and Bella the dawg, are fine. We lost power for a few hours, and it seems that a power surge has bitten my primary work computer. Coulda been worse...

Quote Originally Posted by bob winter View Post
    I agree, it is a shame. Is he on facebook?
    I believe so.

My mother in law is from PEI. She was the only one that "went away." Lots of relatives there. Hope they're all right
    What's not on a boat costs nothing, weighs nothing, and can't break

without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.