Thread: We donít do windows.

Default We donít do windows.

Itís been a little while since our windows had a good cleaning inside and out. Our housekeeper nor Ken and I have any interest in taking on the task. The windows are single hung making cleaning the upstairs windows difficult. There are hard water spots on the downstairs windows where the sprinklers hit.

I have a window washing company coming this morning! Iím excited to have a clear view.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Default Re: We donít do windows.

They are due here early. I post results later.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --

Exactly how does one tell a spouse "I don't do windows"? Around here windows are cleaned, one way or another, come hell or high water, second floor or whatever.

Last cleaned 1995. I should look into this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    Exactly how does one tell a spouse "I don't do windows"? Around here windows are cleaned, one way or another, come hell or high water, second floor or whatever.
    Same here. When I built the house I put in all double hung windows that tilt in for washing. It's a pain, but between the two of us, we do it around three times a year.
    Skip has single hung windows so the upper sash is stationary. Since they look like modern vinyl windows, I assume the lower sash tilts in for cleaning and, by leaning out and risking your life, you can wash the outside of the upper.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Correct!
    Skip

Skip

some of the stains from the acid rain and hardwater remain. The young man suggested that the only thing he knows to remove them is Sorbo Hard Water Stain Remover and a shyt ton of elbow grease.

I will see if Ken wants to take on that project!

Skip

Move that sprinkler head--or change heads to prevent it from hitting the house.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

try relaxing to this tune skip

Seems vinegar would remove those calcium deposits. Applying it might be the bottleneck.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Nice musical touches guys!
    Skip

Skip's place was built by a developer too cheap to put in double hung windows.
    Developer doesn't care if he is risking people's lives by going cheap, it saved him money
    and that's all that counts.
    I wouldn't sell single hung units to my customers. It wasn't hard to talk them into double hungs.

Forgive me if I've told this story, but it relates.
    When I was about 9 years old living in a row house in Queens, N.Y., a friend and I were
    walking down the back alley when we came across an older man lying in a pool of blood.
    He had been leaning out a second story window trying to wash the outside of the upper sash.
    He fell and landed on his head. He was still breathing when we found him (we could hear a snorting sort of breath).
    By the time we ran home, told my folks and the ambulance got there he was dead.
    I can still see in my mind the rivet of blood running down the drive and into the gutter.

Thus my dislike of single hung windows.

Well Rich! That sure seals it for me!

As God is my witness I will never wash windows again, If I have to lie cheat or steal I'll never wash windows again!

Skip

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Well Rich! That sure seals it for me!

As God is my witness I will never wash windows again, If I have to lie cheat or steal I'll never wash windows again!

You never told us you lived at Tara!

Washed windows. What a novel thought.

10 windows on my first storey - two have never opened (1 of those is so difficult to reach that I have to remove every appliance from the kitchen counter, climb up on that, and kneel in front of the window to get leverage. But I think it's painted shut anyway.).

2 need to be reglazed before washing. I did that with a couple windows here about 23 years ago and found that I was terrible at the process.

3 are getting new triple track in another month or so (it's so rare now that one must order it and wait for the only company still making it to custom make it), but at least two of those need restringing, and one is pretty inaccessible since there's a small cabinet in front of it that the plants go on in the winter with plant lights.

2 could be washed, but I haven't checked to see whether the glazing is still intact.

The last one is in great condition, everything works correctly and someday maybe if I get inspired I'll consider washing it.

4 on the second storey - all open, their strings are in working order, all have relatively new triple track, all are too high for me to properly wash, all bring light into the rooms they're in.

All these windows are more than 100 years old, proper wooden double hung windows with counterweights. They're 2 over 1, so nice big pieces of glass.

Window washing? Well, it's just a thought.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

For the stains use citric acid, if that doesn't work, muriatic.

I do have a curiosity, what's the reason to stay with sash windows when installing modern ones? Why not tilt and turn ones?

24 windows in my house plus one glass slider door and a full glass exterior door. Also, four other exterior doors with half glass.
    Enough to keep me busy.
    The skylight is the one thing that does not get washed.
    No way I'm going up on the roof to wash that!

Quote Originally Posted by Rumars View Post
    I do have a curiosity, what's the reason to stay with sash windows when installing modern ones? Why not tilt and turn ones?
    I like windows that I can open and close with one hand. Vastly more important to me than being able to spend half a day washing them.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

And other things, too.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    I like windows that I can open and close with one hand. Vastly more important to me than being able to spend half a day washing them.
    All casement windows I have ever seen can be opened one handed, same as any door.

I guess I've only met the ones that require standing in front of the window and pushing with both hands to open it. I've never met a window that opens like a door, except one with a crank that you wind.

And other things, too.

Well, meet the modern european window, this is now standard regardless if wood, plastic or metal frame. Old windows don't have the tilt function and there is a range of locking hardware, but most open inwards.

Well, meet the modern european window, this is now standard regardless if wood, plastic or metal frame. Old windows don't have the tilt function and there is a range of locking hardware, but most open inwards.

Very nice! Never seen anything like that!
    Skip

Need screens though! Do they not have insects in Europe? Those would be a nightmare without good screens.
    Skip

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Need screens though! Do they not have insects in Europe? Those would be a nightmare without good screens.
    Screens, fixed, removable or retractable, exterior or interior blinds, blackout curtains, etc. are all available. The same tilt and turn system is used for doors, most balcony or terrace doors are made this way, handles on both sides and locks if desired.

Once again my vision of America Exceptionalism takes a blow!! Hahahaha!!

Seriously they look far superior to any windows I have seen available on the US market.
    Skip

So you have all the houseplants in front of that window for the winter. Come spring you want to get a little air into the house. How do you open the window without dismantling your entire houseplant set up.

So you have a full length sideboard with a few display art pieces on it below that window. It's 20" deep, and weighs, say 80lbs. How does a 10 year old open that window without moving the sideboard out of the way, or relocating the art pieces in order to climb up on the sideboard to reach the handle.

So you're wearing a fine cashmere shawl and you sweep past the window and the handle catches on it.

So you have an easy chair in front of the window and the back sticks up about 8" into the window frame.

And other things, too.

Part of my dislike of latex paint is the way it sticks window sashes.
    To move stuck windows, I use one of those lever action clamps, with the moveable jaw on the other end of the shaft, so it is a spreader.

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    So you have all the houseplants in front of that window for the winter. Come spring you want to get a little air into the house. How do you open the window without dismantling your entire houseplant set up.

So you have a full length sideboard with a few display art pieces on it below that window. It's 20" deep, and weighs, say 80lbs. How does a 10 year old open that window without moving the sideboard out of the way, or relocating the art pieces in order to climb up on the sideboard to reach the handle.

So you're wearing a fine cashmere shawl and you sweep past the window and the handle catches on it.

So you have an easy chair in front of the window and the back sticks up about 8" into the window frame.
    Well yes, the disadvantage is that you can't use the space in the swingarc of the windows. If you need that space then it's not the right window type. As for access to the handle, people tend to arrange their furniture and plants so they can reach it.

Another reason I know for not using them is if another type is mandated (city, HOA, etc.). It's actually quite a common occurrence over here, the facade has to stay original so the old windows get refurbished or rebuilt (not cheap). Sometimes it becomes comical, one house must keep the original windows while on the next the city allowed modern replacements in the same style (wood, same compartimentation and moldings) or even painted plastic ones. It all depends how the rules are interpreted when the renovation is done.

Our new place in ABQ has these hard water marks all over the back windows and it has been an absolute bear trying to remove them. Even soaking paper towels with vinegar and plastering them on the windows to dissolve the marks was not as successful as I had hoped. Rubbing with #0000 steel wool? Nope. Specialty chemicals from car detailing companies? Somewhat effective, at best.

Unbelievable.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

^ Did you try 3M Finesse it?
    Its a fine compound for corian counters, but works great on headlights, sunglasses, windshields.

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.