Thread: Electric canoe, maiden voyage

Default Electric canoe, maiden voyage

I just cut a big whomping hole in the bottom of my CLC Sassafras design canoe and stuck a Bixpy kayak motor on it.
    Works a treat. Ten miles in 3.5 hours used up just over half the battery.
    I set out at dawn and went upriver until the tide changed.
    I tried the motor over the stern and found it inconvenient.
    I then built a long skinny motor well, thinking I had to be able to let the motor tilt up, but lousy water flow, splashing up, and the motor too far forward to allow good turning.
    Then I decided that if the motor just lifts straight up, the well can be further aft and a styrofoam plug fills in the well, gives back the buoyancy lost to the well, and makes somewhat of a crumple zone should the motor smack into something really hard.
    The well is also big enough to accommodate the Small Torqeedo, which would increase performance. And cost.
    Also, the birdwatching was the best ever. Could it be the hum of the motor is less intrusive than the splash of paddles?20E30B88-3981-417A-91A5-929C339E7847.jpgBF6DB0AA-88AE-4856-9A01-92AF19B367E0.jpgC9DD7C37-372D-4618-9037-765DCC726C68.jpg

Default Re: Electric canoe, maiden voyage

Nice!

What kind of battery are you using?

I'd posit that you got closer to the birds because of less motion versus paddles.Birds can see the sun and stars moving across the sky. Just imagine what even the most sneaky paddling looks like to them.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The battery is part and parcel of the Bixpy system. I believe it’s about 400 watt-hours.

Neat! So say 220 W-h used in 3.5 hours is only 63 W motor power to go almost 3 kts. Sounds very efficient.

Could you please at some time take some speed/power points on calm water, so I can add this to my electric boat chart?

Clever!
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

Then there is this guy.

Nice! I remember speaking about this briefly with you at the show. I hope itís everything you were hoping for.