Thread: Calendar Island Yawl 18 - First Sail

Default Calendar Island Yawl 18 - First Sail

On 9/17 I had the pleasure of launching my CIY 18. She is another of Clint Chase's kit boats. A cousin, I suppose, to the CIY16. There are a few of them previously built. One built by Clint; one in New Hampshire; one in Rhode Island. This was my first build (other than a CLC Ultralight).

Here she is last week:

20220829_172107 (1).jpg

Clint was kind enough to come here to help me set her up. It was nice to share the sail with him.

First a few words and bit of whiskey:

IMG_8884.jpg

There was little wind. Maybe that was the best way to start. She's my first lug rigged boat.

Here she is tied up along my Chase Jewell. Lots of cockpit space. Three or four will be a comfortable crew.

IMG_8915.jpg

I'll post a little video once I figure out how.

Pleased designer with builder at the tiller:

IMG_8901.jpg

She moved at just over three knots in almost no air. The helm is amazingly light. Lots of little things for me to figure out. Only regret is that it is late in the season here in Maine.

Frank K

Default Re: Calendar Island Yawl 18 - First Sail

Very nice! I like your color scheme

Well done!
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Congrats! Looks fantastic. Give us additional details as you get her out more.
    Tales from the land and sea: http://terrapintales.wordpress.com/

Lovely boat!

Very nice, and it seems like you've done an excellent job building. One is underway in our volunteer shop.

Congrats and well done! I am sure you will enjoy sailing her.
    Steamboat

I get by with the judicious use of serendipity.

That's a great-looking boat. I love the CY 16, never seen an 18 before.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Congratulations!

A CIY18 and a Jewell? Those two cover a lot of sailing options, I sense a lot of adventure ahead.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

This post sent me on a review of your Jewell build. What a beautiful and functional boat!

Great job! Congratulations!!! Love that overhead shot of the boat and the tanbark sails! I'm just about finished my CIY 16. I finished painting her today. Hopefully she'll be splashed by Thanksgiving.

Is there enough room on the CI 18 to sleep on the floorboards if you tuck your legs under the thwart? Or would it need boards to bridge the seats as a sleeping platform?

First attempt to post a video:

Thanks for the kind comments.

The colors are Kirby "Blind Green"; Jamestown Wet Edge "Bristol Beige" interior; Epifanes "Red Brown" for the rail. The color rendering of the rail is a bit off in the video.

As for sail camping, this would be possible. The cockpit is wide enough to sleep two. The thwart is removable with two thumb screws. (Its really there for rowing.) Each camper's feet would go next to the centerboard trunk.

I built the CIY to day sail. I'm hoping to trailer her around to the many lakes nearby. (And probably the Maine coast). She sets up quite quickly. It is easy for me to step the main mast single handed.

Mast step and partner with mast gate:
    IMG_8871.jpg

I've been pleased with ease of stepping the mast. Open the gate; slide the mast into the step; seat the mast into the partner; close the gate; pop the retaining pin into its holes; done.
    The birds mouth mast weighs 27 lbs. and even at my 72 years, I can handle it easily. Other builders have used carbon masts.

I haven't had her out in any big breezes yet. Other builders have taken their CIY 18's out on some good sized lakes (including Champlain).

Yes, I am quite blessed to have these two boats.

Frank

Lovely work, Frank! I have sailed in company with the fellow who built NOPE, hull #2 of the 18 foot CIY. It is an impressive and capable boat, for sure, and I think you’ll be very happy with her performance. Here is a brief unedited video of Brian sailing her across the broad lake between Valcour Island and the breakwater on the Vermont side of Champlain:

She's a beauty, Frank! Thanks for sharing.

- James

Fantastic!
    Congrats!!

Kevin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank K. View Post
    Thanks for the kind comments.

The colors are Kirby "Blind Green"; Jamestown Wet Edge "Bristol Beige" interior; Epifanes "Red Brown" for the rail. The color rendering of the rail is a bit off in the video.

As for sail camping, this would be possible. The cockpit is wide enough to sleep two. The thwart is removable with two thumb screws. (Its really there for rowing.) Each camper's feet would go next to the centerboard trunk.

I built the CIY to day sail. I'm hoping to trailer her around to the many lakes nearby. (And probably the Maine coast). She sets up quite quickly. It is easy for me to step the main mast single handed.

Mast step and partner with mast gate:
    IMG_8871.jpg

I've been pleased with ease of stepping the mast. Open the gate; slide the mast into the step; seat the mast into the partner; close the gate; pop the retaining pin into its holes; done.
    The birds mouth mast weighs 27 lbs. and even at my 72 years, I can handle it easily. Other builders have used carbon masts.

I haven't had her out in any big breezes yet. Other builders have taken their CIY 18's out on some good sized lakes (including Champlain).

Yes, I am quite blessed to have these two boats.

Frank

I reckon an easy step/unstep mast is one of the key features of a boat that is regularly used - it makes such a difference to know that you can get that mast up safely & securely without being terrified of the whole thing going west. I am think of a carbon fibre mast for the Caledonia Yawl I am building - how did you find building the birdsmouth - did you need some key tools/

Nice boat - well done.

Regards Neil

Neil,

The strakes for the main mast were cut as part of a kit from Clint Chase. Another builder had decided not to use them (and opted for a carbon fiber mast). He generously passed them on to me.

The process is pretty straight forward. There is a nice section in the Off Center Harbor videos done by Jeff Kerr where he builds a mast for a Caledonia Yawl.

There is also a video done by Clint who seems to have an interest interest in Birds mouth construction. I ran into it in the Mastering Skills videos from WoodenBoat after I had built mine.

If you cut your own strakes, you'll want a table saw. Where my strakes were pre-cut for me including the birds mouth, I was pretty much all set. I did buy a power planer. It helps with tapering the strakes and rounding the mast. You may already have one for your Caledonia build. Other than that, you need a flat bench, a jack plane, a block plane, and sand paper. There are neat "spar gauges" which help with rounding the mast. It's pretty easy to make one.

Good luck with your build.

Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank K. View Post
    Neil,

The strakes for the main mast were cut as part of a kit from Clint Chase. Another builder had decided not to use them (and opted for a carbon fiber mast). He generously passed them on to me.

The process is pretty straight forward. There is a nice section in the Off Center Harbor videos done by Jeff Kerr where he builds a mast for a Caledonia Yawl.

There is also a video done by Clint who seems to have an interest interest in Birds mouth construction. I ran into it in the Mastering Skills videos from WoodenBoat after I had built mine.

If you cut your own strakes, you'll want a table saw. Where my strakes were pre-cut for me including the birds mouth, I was pretty much all set. I did buy a power planer. It helps with tapering the strakes and rounding the mast. You may already have one for your Caledonia build. Other than that, you need a flat bench, a jack plane, a block plane, and sand paper. There are neat "spar gauges" which help with rounding the mast. It's pretty easy to make one.

Good luck with your build.

Frank
    Thanks Frank,
    Yes, I also watch Geoff Kerr's videos & find them invaluable. I have made a hollowed mast from2 lengths of Sitka Spruce when I built my Gannet so am familiar with spar guages - they are wonderfully simple. I am in the midst of hull construction & will be for some time after I have flipped her over. A birdsmouth kit sounds like a great idea - I could handle that.

Regards Neil

Even though the wind was mild that first sail, she seems to tack well.
    By eyeball, she tacks through about 90 deg.

Track 1st sail.jpg

I've had her out a few times now. I'm hoping for (a little) more breeze. Winds have mostly been either howling (35kt gusts) or nonexistent. I haven't had a chance to sail her in more than 10-12 kts so I haven't had cause to reef yet.

She is lively; with a very light tiller. I like that one sits up on seats rather than on the floorboards. Much more comfortable for someone my age.

I painted the seats with "Wet edge". My color was only available in gloss. I cut that 1:1 with Interlux flattener. It's still more slippery than I want. This will give me a new project when things warm up next spring. I will have to look into the Marinedeck cork product that John Hartman mentions in the recent Off Center Harbor video about his Jewell build.

It is getting pretty cool here in Norway. I'll have to see how long my hardiness lasts. Nonetheless we've been blessed with beautiful foliage this week. Here's a shot of cruising into our cove.

Foliage 2022.jpg

Some shots from today's Messabout on the Saco River at Marston's Marina.

Last edited by Clinton B Chase; 10-12-2022 at 09:36 AM.
    Clinton B. Chase
    Portland, Maine

http://tinyurl.com/myboats

Between Bourgeoisie and Proletariat - Australia

What a delight!
    Well done Frank - lovely boat. Must be so nice to have it sailing.
    It's all fun and games until Darth Vader comes.

Yes, lovely boat, wonderful folks yesterday, lovely day. But that red hat...what give with that?

I think I see a set of reef points in the hat!
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Nice pics! Gotta feel good seeing your boat underway. Very majestic.