Thread: Amazing bass player

Default Amazing bass player

Who woulda thunk it: 'Stairway To Heaven' played on a six string bass with a fretless aluminum fretboard!

This guy is amazing... I'll post another of his videos as well:

"Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Default Re: Amazing bass player

Another:

"Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

Wow. First time I've ever seen 4 sets of 3. Is that a thing?

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Wow. First time I've ever seen 4 sets of 3. Is that a thing?
    I never saw it before, either.

This guy's YouTube channel has dozens of videos of his amazing playing ability. Granted, the use of a bass guitar as a 'lead' instrument is probably very limited... and that kind of fireworks, in a band, would be distracting and poorly matched... but I can't help but admire his skill. There are tens of thousands of six string lead guitarists with lots of skill and ability, but very few bass players whose skill stands out when playing with a group.

In fact, I can think of players whose embellishments, IMHO, detracted from the group's music. One example: Tim Bogert, playing in Vanilla Fudge. He was fond of lots of rapid fire runs on the bass, but with very little sustain, and without contributing to the songs.

Great stuff, Norman. Thanks for posting!
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

Very cool. Some of the octave jumps (or drops) right in the middle of a line kind of bugged me, but at those speeds it may have been the only way to get it done and reach the designated spots on the fingerboards. There are several of these guys who pay bass pretty much as a solo instrument and some of them are extremely talented at it. I suspect that they would find it pretty boring to play with a band where you need to support the song and can't just be all flash all the time. It is certainly possible to play a bass without being in the typical role of a bass player. Personally, I tend to be more impressed with someone like John Mcvie of Fleetwood Mac who can really drive a song, giving it a steady and powerful bottom end without too much flash..

The twelve string basses have been around now for at least ten to fifteen years. The octave-strung bass concept started with the original Hagstrom eight-string basses. I have one from 1968 or 69, strung with octave strings, similar to the way a twelve-string guitar is strung. It gives a nice full sound, though it's not something I want to hear on every tune. The twelve string models add another string to each pair, up an additional octave.

Eight string sample. I kind of like using it in places where you might not expect that fuller sound.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/anssvuey35...0bass.mp3?dl=0

amazing grace player

I’m a long time Wootenhead. Love his work with Bela Fleck and the Flecktones.
    Here’s another solo.

https://youtu.be/Ve37F3Ee9Ow

ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

That OP is great. Nice Stanley Jordan fretwork plucking too.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

'snot just bass....
    I'd much rather lay in my bunk all freakin day lookin at Youtube videos .