Thread: Edey and Duff Gaff rig cutter

Default Edey and Duff Gaff rig cutter

Just purchased 1971/1972 E & D pilot cutter..only built one of these.
    Anyone out there have any info
    on designer...full keel 20' 4000 lb
    Displ. Little history available as most
    principals and employees long gone. Maybe a Crocker design
    Mark in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Edey and Duff Gaff rig cutter

Pretty little cutter.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Looks like Thomas Gilmer's "Blue Moon", or a variation of it.
    Chuck Hancock

You might look up Mike Kaufman who designed the 20' LOD Maxwell gaff Cutter. It looks as if this is one. I had a set of those plans from the time I was in high school ('60's I think). There is a vimeo video of Mike's 24' version (which unfortunately won't play here on the forum).

Sweet boat
    Last edited by MAGIC's Craig; 09-18-2022 at 04:09 PM. Reason: vimeo hiccup

Thanks for lead to Kaufman Maxell Cutter...looks like may be design review in Wooden Boat issue 21
    in 2009

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

only one was built....that's a damn shame

Mark:
    I rummaged about in my older design files and finally located the plans and a letter from Mike Kaufman, dated 20 September, 1974. However, besides the dates, I was also wrong about the size, as this set is for a 23' LOD Maxwell cutter which looks the same.
    Then, tucked into the back of the file, I found a large undated photo cut out of the old "SAILING" magazine of SPAGALLOP (photos were taken by a Ted Heidenriech, Jr.)

The text with the photo reads:
    "SPAGALLIP, a neat little cutter"
    "This handsome plumb bow sailing craft is the sweet jewel of an architectural model maker from Woburn, Massachusetts. The pretty little cutter SPAGALLOP was the work of Matthew Falcone, from starting plans to casting and finishing of sailing fittings.
    The well balanced double headsail and gaff main craft which is 20 feet overall is a joy sailing in a variety of sea conditions along the Massachusetts shore.
    SPAGALLOP weights (sp) around 2-1/2 tons. It has a deep forefoot, long run and a draft at the heel of about 3-1/2 feet, ideal for skirting shores. Her beam of 6-1/2 feet gives a cockpit suited to pleasant day-sailing for the Falcone family. There is, in addition, a small, low aspect cuddy for shelter from the elements.
    Next project of Falcone and his wife is building an 18 foot shoal draft vessel of traditional design, suited to trailering and cruising."

The black and white photo on the left measures 10-1/" tall by 15" wide. I will try to tack on a quick phone copy for your reference and if you would like me to have it scanned to be forwarded as a .pdf, just pm me.

IMG_0057.jpgIMG_0058.jpg

As a note, the few pictures posted of Eric and Susan Hiscock's WANDERER II, which was of this type and size seemed to catch the eyes of various designers.

Craig

Craig
    That sure looks like her. Thank you so much for the research. I will pm you.
    Mark

very pretty. Looks like a lil Galway Hooker

A beauty!

WOW, doesn't get any prettier than that.
    David Satter www.sattersrestoration.com
    "The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten" Ben Franklin

Craig
    A note of thanks ...your article from Sailing magazine haz closed tbe loop on my search . I went to Maine to pack up the Edey and Duff pilot cutter to have her sipped to my home in VA. The sail bags had the
    boat name "Spagallop" on them . I now own the Spagallop though she has been renamed. If you could tell me the date of that issue of Sailing..I will attempt to get a copy if possible to pjt with history
    of boat.
    Sincerely
    Mark in VA

you're gonna have to post more pics....

That’s a beauty!

Very handsome boat! Looks very well appointed too.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Giegel View Post
    Craig
    A note of thanks ...your article from Sailing magazine haz closed tbe loop on my search . I went to Maine to pack up the Edey and Duff pilot cutter to have her sipped to my home in VA. The sail bags had the
    boat name "Spagallop" on them . I now own the Spagallop though she has been renamed. If you could tell me the date of that issue of Sailing..I will attempt to get a copy if possible to pjt with history
    of boat.
    Sincerely
    Mark in VA
    Sadly, Mark, the original page was trimmed to fit a file folder and does not include the corners on which the date of the issue and page number(2) might have been located. I am unable to locate anything in the various articles/advertisements on the flip side which is useful. Matthew Falcone may or may not still be among the living...

Best of luck in your search. You have found a sweet gem. Please keep us all posted about your adventures sailing her.

Craig

Love it! A very nice little cutter, and then some history filled in... Congrats and thanks for posting! More photos, please.

Cheers,
    Dale

Will do when boat is delivered

Can someone suggest a good reference guide for gaff rigged boats. This is my first and need to sort out a jumble of blocks and lines...so many! What goes where ?
    Mark in VA
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm sure others here will know of more definitive works, but I found Tom Cunliffe's 'Hand, Reef and Steer' to be an easily understandable guide to sailing with gaff rigs:

Hand reef and steer.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Hand-Reef-Ste.../dp/1574092030

There's perhaps more about the sailing aspects than the actual setting up, but the setting up is not so difficult once you know what you are trying to achieve. I think this book helps define the outline for this pretty well.

... I forgot to mention, she's a stunning boat. Please keep the pictures coming.

Thanks

Ed

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

dang if I lived an hour or two away I'd help you rig that cool boat jus fer the fun of it

I think weather is better where you are
    Best
    Mark in VA

Beautiful

Last year my friend lent me the usage of his Holme's Eel inspired Canoe Yawl Pilgrims Wake. Gaff gunter rigged main and mizzen with centerboard tackle, lazy jacks for both masts etc. etc.
    It needed to fully rigged with all the rigging stored in a couple of big bins. THough I had sailed the boat a few years back and had some recollection of what lines there were. it still was quite a puzzle. I used a combination of old pictures and the process of elimination.
    Everytime I figured something out the pile grew smaller and the choices became easier.

I laid out all the gear , separated and identified more obvious things, like standing rigging, dock lines etc.
    If you can get really good scans of those old pictures combined with a diagram of a pilot cutter rigging I imagine you can start sorting it out bit by bit.

The photos at the beginning of the thread are your resource, just start laying it out on the ground into standing and running rigging. Count the purchases in the photos , note the size of the blocks and eliminate the obvious, like the shroud deadeyes and mainsheet blocks.Sort out the peak and throat halyards. No running backstays I see, aft chainplates are for the lower shrouds, in line cap shrouds. Simplified forestay and inner with the Wykham Martin furlers integral. Topping lifts, a few more sheets...

Thanks..I am working of the pics...some detail missing.

Neat boat , I forgot to say. Lots of fun there.