Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just A Reminder: today's GOP is toxic

Default Just A Reminder: today's GOP is toxic

If you care about your country and your rights, don't vote for any Republicans in 2022

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opini...002/?gnt-cfr=1

https://www.yahoo.com/news/care-coun...110005774.html
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Default Re: Just A Reminder: today's GOP is toxic

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    I used to spend a lot of time researching candidates from both parties to find the one candidate I preferred for each office. The only good thing to come from Trumpism is that task is so much simpler now. No research necessary.
    And that's how it starts
    "Psst- Hey buddy, want to try a republican? The first one is free"

GOP is against abortion, against gun control, against immigrants, against fair elections, against same sex marriage, against transgender surgery, and a few other things.

What on earth are they for other than tax cuts for the wealthy?
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    And that's how it starts
    "Psst- Hey buddy, want to try a republican? The first one is free"
    Used to be... it was fairly expensive to by a Republican Congresscritter.

These days... there are a LOT of low-rent R's. Likely available for something like a glittery tube-top (Boebert), or a nice tin of brown shoe polish (Guiliani).
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

There was a time I would occasionally vote for a Republican. Minnesota had a Republican governor in the early '90s that did quite a good job, in fact. Unless things change drastically, I will never vote for any Republican ever again as long as I live.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,
    for nature cannot be fooled."

Richard Feynman

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    There was a time I would occasionally vote for a Republican. Minnesota had a Republican governor in the early '90s that did quite a good job, in fact. Unless things change drastically, I will never vote for any Republican ever again as long as I live.
    Our governor here in Vermont is doing a good job and I voted for him last time two years ago because he did such a good job with Covid. Plus, he will not stand in the way of the abortion issue. Not a Trumpster or radical Republican at all.
    Even though he will win again this Nov., I will vote for the Dem just on principle.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

Don’t forget. This is America. The Republican Party represents what some Americans want. The cruelty and imposition of power is an American feature.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    The Republican Party represents what some Americans want. The cruelty and imposition of power is an American feature.
    A feature of our species, alas, not just Americans. We've made considerable progress restraining it, but we have a long way yet to go.
    "For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations,

Richard Feynman

more toxicity

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...ccept-results/

A dozen Republican candidates in competitive races for governor and Senate have declined to say whether they would accept the results of their contests, raising the prospect of fresh post-election chaos two years after Donald Trump refused to concede the presidency.
    In a survey by The Washington Post of 19 of the most closely watched statewide races in the country, the contrast between Republican and Democratic candidates was stark. While seven GOP nominees committed to accepting the outcomes in their contests, 12 either refused to commit or declined to respond. On the Democratic side, 17 said they would accept the outcome and two did not respond to The Post’s survey.

TFG Ohio rally. What does the pointy finger solute mean?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1571308215937241090

The thread title reminds me of Chevy Chase saying, "This just in! Generalissimo Francisco Franco is still dead."

The GOP won't change until they are forced to change. Right now, they are mostly doubling down and many running for election are supporting Trump's lie in order to get his support and the vote of his supporters. That will continue until it fails and it's not failing anytime soon.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    Heil Trump!
    “Where has this finger been?”

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    TFG Ohio rally. What does the pointy finger solute mean?

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1571308215937241090
    Apparently it is a QAnon thing based on their "WWG1WGA" slogan ( "where we go one, we go all"). It's all very weird and disturbing to anyone outside the conspiracy bubble.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

The GOP has existed in name only since the 2016 convention.

My question: What do we read into this 180 degree change of mind: https://news.yahoo.com/republican-do...ycsrp_catchall
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Puppet. Will say whatever he's told to say in order to get elected. Slightly more intelligent than the football player in Georgia.

His switcheroo will not change the minds of the people who live north of the White Mountains, in real rural NH. They will dump him and not vote.

It also won't change the minds of the people who live in Portsmouth where most remote work for Boston companies and are simply living in NH to escape income tax.

The dilemma is for the normal Republicans in Concord and Manchester who would really like to not have to vote for Maggie Hassan. But I have a hunch they'll still not vote for him when they pull that lever, although they may talk the talk. We shall see.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by John Smith View Post
    My question: What do we read into this 180 degree change of mind: https://news.yahoo.com/republican-do...ycsrp_catchall
    This disingenuous dimwit seems to be a prime example. But there are all sorts of R primary winners who are now shuffling toward the middle. Not taking questions on the election, leaving support for tRump out of their speeches, scrubbing their websites of previously rabid support for 'Stop The Steal', etc. etc.

https://www.nbcnews.com/meet-the-pre..._npd_nn_tw_mtp

Poll: Abortion, Trump boost midterm prospects for Democrats

Republicans maintain significant advantages on economy, crime and immigration in the latest NBC News national poll.

Democrats have pulled even with Republicans ahead of November’s midterm elections, fueled by six in 10 voters who disapprove of the Supreme Court decision to overturn Roe v. Wade; President Joe Biden’s approval rating improving to its highest mark since October; and by Donald Trump’s favorability rating dropping to its lowest point in more than a year.

Still, Republicans maintain key advantages that could catapult them to win control of Congress and governors' mansions across the country, including 63% of voters who believe that their income is falling behind the cost of living, as well as 58% who disapprove of Biden’s handling of the economy.

These are the results of a new national NBC News poll, which finds the parties tied on congressional preference among registered voters, 46%-46%, with Democrats narrowly trailing Republicans in election interest.

Yet what maybe stands out the most from the survey are the two starkly different issue campaigns the parties are running, with the Republican Party holding all-time high advantages on the economy, crime and border security, versus Democrats’ all-time high on abortion and a double-digit edge on health care.

“We often think about wave elections,” said Democratic pollster Jeff Horwitt of Hart Research Associates, who conducted this survey with Republican pollster Bill McInturff of Public Opinion Strategies.

“But this year, we may think instead about a ‘waves’ election where unprecedentedly strong crosscurrents push voters in different directions, with an end result that may not be what we expected.”
    McInturff, the GOP pollster, agrees.
    Last edited by David G; 09-18-2022 at 07:33 PM.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    It also won't change the minds of the people who live in Portsmouth where most remote work for Boston companies and are simply living in NH to escape income tax.
    You really shouldn't characterize us that way. I doubt you know many of us at all. I pay $12k/year in property tax. It isn't tax free here; we just pay it differently.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    You really shouldn't characterize us that way. I doubt you know many of us at all. I pay $12k/year in property tax. It isn't tax free here; we just pay it differently.
    I din't say "tax". I said a specific tax. My step son lives in Portsmouth. I know plenty.
    A society predicated on the assumption that everyone in it should want to get rich is not well situated to become either ethical or imaginative.

Photographer of sailing and sailboats
    And other things, too.
    http://www.landsedgephoto.com

Quote Originally Posted by elf View Post
    I din't say "tax". I said a specific tax. My step son lives in Portsmouth. I know plenty.
    Yes. I lived in Manchester for 4 years, and got friendly with a young R (you pretty much HAD to be R at that time) city council candidate. He had his eyes on the state leg. and (he wouldn't allow himself to say it out loud) the governor's office. One of his goals was to make NH's taxes more progressive by lessening the reliance on property tax, and introducing a slightly progressive (gotta start small) income tax. Haven't seen his name since we left there - guess he was too liberal for them.

And yes, there are tons of Mass. commuters that live in NH - along highways 3, 93, and 95. Places like Nashua, Seabrook, Salem, and Windham. Had a wealthy client in Bedford who had a driver for the commute to corporate headquarters in (Somerville?). He started his day on the phone or doing paperwork in the car and cherished the quiet time as very productive.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

There are a lot of reasons to live in NH instead of MA other than income tax.

The homicide mortality rate (per 100k) is far smaller.

The natural environment is ranked higher.

Home burglary rates (per 100,000) are lower in NH.

I suppose you know that home prices are roughly 65% what they are in Massachusetts and the homes tend to come with more land around them.

To my surprise, the infrastructure is ranked higher.

I suppose you know that automobile insurance is lower here. Anyone who has driven in Massachusetts understands that statement.

The online tables I'm looking at rate NH higher in "opportunity" and "fiscal responsibility" although I will admit I'm not sure how they define that and I'll need to research that further.

Sadly, education and health care is ranked lower. Living in a university town, I suppose I am insulated from some of that.

There are a lot of reasons to live in NH and escaping income tax is just one small reason.
    Last edited by CWSmith; 09-18-2022 at 10:27 PM.

How does NH rate in those categories next to Vt.? I lived close to St.Johnsbury,Vt. in the 70's.?

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    There are a lot of reasons to live in NH instead of MA other than income tax.

The homicide mortality rate (per 100k) is far smaller.

The natural environment is ranked higher.

Home burglary rates (per 100,000) are lower in NH.

I suppose you know that home prices are roughly 65% what they are in Massachusetts and the homes tend to come with more land around them.

To my surprise, the infrastructure is ranked higher.

I suppose you know that automobile insurance is lower here. Anyone who has driven in Massachusetts understands that statement.

The online tables I'm looking at rate NH higher in "opportunity" and "fiscal responsibility" although I will admit I'm not sure how they define that and I'll need to research that further.

Sadly, education and health care is ranked lower. Living in a university town, I suppose I am insulated from some of that.

There are a lot of reasons to live in NH and escaping income tax is just one small reason.
    Yes, lots of good reasons to live in N.H.

AND for a substantial cadre of wealthy Mass. & Connecticut expats... it's to avoid progressive income taxes.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post
    How does NH rate in those categories next to Vt.? I lived close to St.Johnsbury,Vt. in the 70's.?
    I bet Vermont is ahead of NH in many categories. I'll check when I get a few minutes.

The NH Achilles Heel is the tax problem. Property tax is local and most schools are funded locally. So there are good schools and bad schools and that becomes the root of the problem. To supplement the tax loss, there is a "Let tourists pay for it" mentality. I think Vermont has avoided this nonsense.

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Yes, lots of good reasons to live in N.H.

AND for a substantial cadre of wealthy Mass. & Connecticut expats... it's to avoid progressive income taxes.
    Yes. I just wanted to avoid the broad brush that paints everyone and get down to reality.

This may actually be the most important election in our history, or at least in many years.

I don't understand, taking Graham as an example, how people who vote for him know which one of him they are voting for.

For YEARS I have been pleading: next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

See my signature.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    For YEARS I have been pleading: next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

See my signature.
    What a great idea!

I wonder why no one has mentioned it before... <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

TFG held a rally in Youngstown Ohio yesterday, I will never call it that, from now on that town shall be called Jonestown Ohio moving forward.

I'm trying to look at the NH primary results. There was a Democrat that I liked and respected (I know him personally) who finished 5th out of 5. I told him before the election that his positions were too vague, but he didn't want to alienate anyone. I think that his losing is a good sign that voters are looking at the issues and making real decisions. I'm encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by sonofswen View Post
    I'm taking a quick look.

Vermont ranks best in terms of the "crime index" with NH second. That's good. Mass is 20th and you don't want to live in DC.

Murder rates are about the same in VT and NH, but both are very low.

Burglary rates in VT are about 50% higher than NH, but both are still very low. To my surprise, NJ and NY are also low. I wonder if that reflects the more rural areas?

VT ranks lower in the environment, but is still in the top 10. That also surprises me.

Housing is about 20% lower in VT than in NH.

Health care in VT seems to rank below NH, but it also costs a little more than half as much, so that may be a skewed result.

All told, the quality of life in VT is very high. All it's missing is a seacoast.

To get back closer to the topic of this thread, you might want to check out some of those and other results on the web.

There are some very consistent results (to my eye) that correlated with red/blue politics.

For instance, the crime rate in SC (Graham's home state) is very high, much higher than NY or NJ. Wrap your head around that! NY and NJ get a boat load of bad press on crime, but SC is far worse.

Just when you though things couldn't get any weirder. It's worth steeling yourself and watching the video. (Source)

Why Trump’s latest political rally was extra creepy, even for him.
    Donald Trump’s political rallies tend to be relatively predictable, but his apparent embrace of QAnon messaging made his latest event very different.
    Sept. 19, 2022, 7:00 AM CDT
    By Steve Benen

Donald Trump’s political rallies tend to be relatively predictable. The former president will show up, lie uncontrollably, celebrate himself, condemn news organizations, elicit “Lock her up” chants, and generally bask in the support of followers who treat him with almost religious reverence. There’s often some question as to what new claims the Republican might come up with, and the events sometimes vary in length, but the gatherings themselves tend to be similar enough that they blur together.

Occasionally, however, there are exceptions. The New York Times reported on Trump’s Saturday night rally in Ohio, where the former president “appeared to more fully embrace QAnon.”

"While speaking in Youngstown ... Mr. Trump delivered a dark address about the decline of America over music that was all but identical to a song called “Wwg1wga” — an abbreviation for the QAnon slogan, “Where we go one, we go all.” As Mr. Trump spoke, scores of people in the crowd raised fingers in the air in an apparent reference to the “1” in what they thought was the song’s title. It was the first time in the memory of some Trump aides that such a display had occurred at one of his rallies."

To fully appreciate how creepy this was, it’s worth watching a video clip from the rally.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1571308887248179200

For its part, Trump’s political operation denied that it was making any direct outreach to adherents of the mass delusion, telling the Times that aides simply used “a royalty-free song from a popular audio library platform.”
    Maybe so. But there is a larger context to consider.

Trump generally tried to strike a balance with QAnon devotees — the Times referenced “a winking relationship” — in which he would neither denounce nor explicitly embrace the lunacy. It was about two years ago when the then-president, speaking from behind a White House lectern, said he didn’t know much about the deranged theory or its followers, “other than I understand they like me very much, which I appreciate.”

Two years later, he has dispensed with the subtleties. The Associated Press reported late last week:

"After winking at QAnon for years, Donald Trump is overtly embracing the baseless conspiracy theory, even as the number of frightening real-world events linked to it grows. On Tuesday, using his Truth Social platform, the Republican former president reposted an image of himself wearing a Q lapel pin overlaid with the words “The Storm is Coming.” In QAnon lore, the “storm” refers to Trump’s final victory, when supposedly he will regain power and his opponents will be tried, and potentially executed, on live television."

Two weeks earlier, NBC News ran a related report, highlighting instances of the Republican “explicitly promoting the QAnon conspiracy theory” by way of his social media platform. The day after the AP published this report, the former president and his team appeared to play a QAnon song during a campaign rally, which elicited an unnerving salute from many in the audience.

For those who may need a refresher, the basic idea behind QAnon is that Trump is secretly at war with nefarious forces of evil, including Democrats, Hollywood celebrities, the “deep state,” cannibals and an underground ring of Satanic pedophiles that only adherents of the conspiracy theory are aware of.

The FBI characterized QAnon as a domestic terror threat in an internal memo, and West Point’s Combating Terrorism Center published a study characterizing QAnon as a burgeoning threat to public safety.

As things stand, Trump’s embrace of the madness has become increasingly overt in ways that should spark a larger conversation in Republican politics. Indeed, there’s no reason GOP candidates shouldn’t comment on the latest evidence of their party leader’s extremism.

Richard Feynman

This is a good watch. It's about a month old, but very true still.

https://youtu.be/ttX7v7ShJD4

If the thesis of this thread is true, there would seem to be two possibilities.
    • The US electoral system is a bent as a left-handed corkscrew.
    • A really significant proportion of the US electorate are either as thick as a brick, are total aerosols, or both.

Discuss.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Nailed it in one.

Gosh.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....