Thread: Tractors...

Default Re: Tractors...

I like it, well made and beautiful details!!

Needs a wipe over with an oily rag.
    DSC03022.jpg
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

I love this sort of thing, both the wooden models and the real thing.

Question: the wooden model looks like the parts are machine made. They are well made, but very consistent one part to another. Is this the case?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    Needs a wipe over with an oily rag.
    DSC03022.jpg
    that’s a thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Mike.Higgins.94301 View Post
    If we're going to include implements...
    This goes with the D2

3756760D-7C42-4763-BFA8-12D26EC73068.jpg

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

This thread needs more pics of predatory Ukrainian tractors taking stunned Russian tanks back to their nest to feed their young.

Isn't it remarkable that Cletrac figured out the (now) obvious advantages of a high-sprocket drive system a half-century before Cat "invented" it?

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    This thread needs more pics of predatory Ukrainian tractors taking stunned Russian tanks back to their nest to feed their young.
    I don't agree with anything you said, but that is funny!!!
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Is the Cletrac an actual tool or just a sales prop? It was owned by the guy who also had the two Bugattis I have shown in other postings. He had the best set of toys I have ever seen. He also did most of his own restorations. I was sorry when he moved out of the neighborhood.

Those models look like a ton of work. Well done.

Is the Cletrac an actual tool or just a sales prop? It was owned by the guy who also had the two Bugattis I have shown in other postings. He had the best set of toys I have ever seen. He also did most of his own restorations. I was sorry when he moved out of the neighborhood.
    Absolutely a real tractor, designed and built to work. The Cleveland Tractor Co built big machines too, but they were known for their compact models. They were later merged with Oliver Tractor, and they continued to emphasize the market for small crawlers.

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    Absolutely a real tractor, designed and built to work.
    they made mini tractors that the military used to clear landings strips with during wwii and korea
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

When Cletrac went to war:
    1D89627D-3532-4313-B1F7-9CB4DC944DB8.jpg
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by moTthediesel View Post
    Absolutely a real tractor, designed and built to work. The Cleveland Tractor Co built big machines too, but they were known for their compact models. They were later merged with Oliver Tractor, and they continued to emphasize the market for small crawlers.
    Except... those wee crawlers, both Oliver and Cletrac used differential steering not individual clutches to connect/disconnect each track. So, with only one track or the other driving they got stuck a lot, and U-turning them at the end of a row was tough. They were cute little tractors though.

And here we have a venerable Cat 12, all mechanical road grader, no hydraulics, chain drive.
    A pretty bulletproof machine...

1/4 scale, 14" long

320B0F93-466A-4D3C-AE46-0B16C373FE02.jpg

E7B67E14-E1C0-40AB-AB23-360DFDE4D6CE.jpg

I recently sold one of these, serial# 1015, maybe the 15th one built. An orchard model with cantilevered controls, lowered seat and fenders. These were retrobuilt new machines by contract to some blacksmith shop somewhere. Pretty rare, I have only seen one other (this one in the pic) they didn't make many of them. It came to me from the original apple orchard it was purchased for, circa 1927 ? (I bought it dead for $100 in 1976)
    "10 Horsepower on Firm Ground at Sea Level"
    I used it on land clearing/pioneering jobs as an Oak and Madrone firewood skidder after work. It wouldn't have had a prayer against a Redwood tree.
    A sweet little tractor, this was the easiest starting hand crank machine I've ever had, started on gasoline, ran on kerosine.
    Governed at 1000 rpm flat out, 4 cyls, 6" stroke, it had one big ball bearing at each end of the crankshaft, overhead valves, oil can lube the rocker arms every eight hours of operation! Those conical looking things behind the fuel tank are the steering clutches. Worm drive from the rear axle you could service the clutches while sitting in the seat. Which is a bear of a job on most crawlers.
    I'll bet it brought home a couple hundred cords of wood, which provided a little bit of income during the winter months back when it used to rain in California.

42900198-1B70-49D9-A656-48D6F403EC94.jpg

Dammit. Picture not showing…..

Linky thing for track tractor picture: https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/McC...20_TracTracTor

Note that the data covers all of that model made, which I hadn't noticed before. They only made about 500 total of that design and then made a major redesign in 1930 with the steering clutches below on the drive sprocket pinion, different bore/stroke and etc. (Those were T-20's which had a long run) Perhaps the worm drive clutch set up was too expensive? The thing was a monument to cast iron. The engine / trans was the foundation)Which made me think they maybe only made 15 or 20 of this "orchard model". It probably should have gone to a museum. The or hard models may have all been produced locally in California, as at the time dry farming apples and pears locally was relatively big business they were shipped all over the country.. "Dry farming" the way it was explained to me is theoretically a layer of dust in the orchards created and maintained with a disc harrow.It was a very cool tractor, dead reliable it started with a half crank ( you could win a bet on that) and the whole crew sort of fell in love with it. All the employees would skid small trees/ logs for their own winter firewood.It was impossible to find parts, I had to make everything we needed for it. When it burned a valve I welded that valve up and turned it in a drill press with a file...When it froze one winter (very rare here) and cracked the head, I veed out the crack in the combustion chamber with a disc grinder, dug a bbq pit, filled it with charcoal and placed the head in it and covered it up until it was dull red hot. Raked away the coals, puled it out, welded it with nickel rod and an old buzz box then put it back, covered it with more charcoal and came back the next day when it all cooled down. Milled it flat, reground the valve seats and it ran for the next 30 odd years and is still running today. Big heavy old iron, the good stuff.C0B458BC-C380-4446-BD89-2EB1A1B7204E.jpg
    Last edited by Canoeyawl; 09-19-2022 at 11:13 PM.

ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

Quote Originally Posted by Canoeyawl View Post
    Linky thing for track tractor picture: https://tractors.fandom.com/wiki/McC...20_TracTracTor

Note that the data covers all of that model made, which I hadn't noticed before. They only made about 500 total of that design and then made a major redesign in 1930 with the steering clutches below on the drive sprocket pinion, different bore/stroke and etc. (Those were T-20's which had a long run) Perhaps the worm drive clutch set up was too expensive? The thing was a monument to cast iron. The engine / trans was the foundation)Which made me think they maybe only made 15 or 20 of this "orchard model". It probably should have gone to a museum. The or hard models may have all been produced locally in California, as at the time dry farming apples and pears locally was relatively big business they were shipped all over the country.. "Dry farming" the way it was explained to me is theoretically a layer of dust in the orchards created and maintained with a disc harrow.It was a very cool tractor, dead reliable it started with a half crank ( you could win a bet on that) and the whole crew sort of fell in love with it. All the employees would skid small trees/ logs for their own winter firewood.It was impossible to find parts, I had to make everything we needed for it. When it burned a valve I welded that valve up and turned it in a drill press with a file...When it froze one winter (very rare here) and cracked the head, I veed out the crack in the combustion chamber with a disc grinder, dug a bbq pit, filled it with charcoal and placed the head in it and covered it up until it was dull red hot. Raked away the coals, puled it out, welded it with nickel rod and an old buzz box then put it back, covered it with more charcoal and came back the next day when it all cooled down. Milled it flat, reground the valve seats and it ran for the next 30 odd years and is still running today. Big heavy old iron, the good stuff.
    fun and well-told repair story. i'm guessing that heating the whole head keeps it from warping when welding?

"they don't make um like that anymore"...referring to jake...

It did warp a little, but nothing nothing a trim cut didn't clean up, maybe .020"? The problem welding cast iron is cracking due to localized heating and cooling. I had known for a long time that it can be successfully done in an oven, which is effectively what I created there. It was interesting welding the red hot iron, aside from having to wear a lot of protective gear, I had the old Lincoln buzz box turned down almost as low as it would go, just enough to melt the filler rod and flux.

This was the weekday tractor... late 70's
    Japanese with a 220 Cummins Diesel, pretty strong logging machine
    (In logging trim it's still worth a nickel today)

DA8B760B-2054-4BF1-BD7E-B5568787DAB8.jpg

Great story! The things you learn here...priceless. Thanks. Right up there with "the legendary one log load" You've created many time warp stories of a California that's going going gone & I appreciate it!
    oil can lube the rocker arms every eight hours of operation!
    Insert classic image of mechanic with oil can in hand...
    Last edited by MoePorter; 09-20-2022 at 06:08 PM.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I passed this one just before sunset. Cute little thing.

Small dozer Blk Bayou Rd.jpg

This is one of my favorite tractors, the John Deere "B" crawler, another great orchard machine.
    With it's horizontal 2 cylinder engine it has to be one of the lowest and most compact crawlers ever made. Although it looks minuscule it's a very robust machine, about 200 cu in. for 2 cyls!
    The entire thing is only about 3-1/2 feet high! I never owned one of these, but did own and restore a couple of "B's" over the years, one styled and one unstyled, 1937 if I remember right.
    An interesting note about these old crawlers, they could be operated off to one side with reins!
    And the sound of that old two banger is hypnotic
    D49F871D-AD44-4341-9A72-C2F5E31E6DF5.jpg
    To give it some perspective here's a shot with a boy in the picture...

1689F1EE-1494-431C-ACAB-FE6088B3D626.jpg