Thread: Flush trimming deck - need advice

Default Flush trimming deck - need advice

Making progress on my Atkins Ninigret….What is the best way to trim the edge of the deck to prepare for adding the rubbing rail? Go slow with a sharp hand plane? Wondered if would work to use a flush trimming router bit, but the angle won’t be right. Don’t know why the pic is sideways….
    All ideas appreciated.
    020C9FFE-1994-44F7-A787-F9CC2037471B.jpg
    Andy

(John Dory by Oughtred)

Default Re: Flush trimming deck - need advice

I would be out there with a hand plane for sure, but that’s much more familiar to me than a router. If you have a lot of material, more than you want to plane off, then you probably have enough to saw around. That’s how I trimmed the bottom of my skiff to the (angled) chine logs. First I sawed along about 1/8” from the surface and then planed off that 1/8” until I reached the surface all along.

if that gunwale is solid wood then you have nothing to worry about because it will look great with a shaving or two taken off to let you know that you’ve gone far enough.
    Dreaming of sailing in Iowa, building a Carnell Nutmeg.

Definitely a sharp handplane or spokeshave would be my preference and that's how I have trimmed the decks on my boats. It doesn't take long and you can get the edge of that deck to be the same angle as your sheerplank. As you suggest the router will give the edge of the plank the wrong angle.

BTW not sure what you are thinking of covering the deck with - I use dynel cloth which has enough flex to allow it to wrap over the edge of the deck and then be covered under the gunwale which is then glued on the outside. I then paint the deck with International deck paint which is wonderful stuff and lasts for years, though it is expensive.

Good Luck Neil
    p.s. Ninigret is a lovely boat.

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

classic post by bruce
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

48EA32B3-795F-416A-BB97-B9A22C0AECB5.jpg
    excuse the lack of detail…
    But before you start make yourself a little jig like this, (don’t know what it’s called)
    it will transfer the hull line to your deck

edit to add, photo is sideways to match your photo
    Last edited by Geftb; 09-18-2022 at 01:11 AM.

Power planer, but take your time and be intentional about the bevel.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Several ways come to mind.

Use a router with a flush trim bit and angle it outward so the deck plywood is left a little strong. Finish with a block plane.

Router with flush trim bit and put an oversize pilot bearing on the bit. Will leave ply a bit strong.

^^^^this
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

I'd use a scrub plane if it's a lot of material to remove, way faster than a router when you consider finding the right bit, the extention cord etc. Unless it's a REALLY big boat.
    And I'd finish it with a smothing plane, not a block plane, but that's just my preference.

/Mats

Diagnosed with autism. Sorry, not much I can do about it.

I just completed this step on my Beg-Meil. For the deck plywood that overhung the outside of the boat, I drew a trim line using a tool as sketched in post #6. Using a Japanese pull saw, I cut close to the line and trimmed with a sharp block plane. On the cockpit side of the boat, I used a router and a flush bit to get close. The coaming pieces are canted so the flush cut bit left some overhanging material, but it removed 90%. Again, the sharp block plane and a bit of sanding took care of the rest. Once the deck was flush to the hull, I used the router, again, with a radius cutting bit to round over the deck so I could smoothly run a layer of fiberglass over the deck on onto the hull. I consider the pull saw, the router, and the plane all essential tools in this operation.

Thanks for all the great responses! Here’s a pic of the recently completed deck for your perusal. Again, Argggh! Sideways…..

0E4345EC-948A-439E-ABBA-FADFAF837071.jpg
    Andy

(John Dory by Oughtred)

this aint rocket surgery folks

a helical flush cut router bit equip'd w/ a guide bearing on the tip works quite well on plywood

images-1.jpeg

makes for a nice result only requiring final sanding

Amazon sells one w/ carbide cutters that won't break the bank ($16.99 Prime)

https://www.amazon.com/MEIGGTOOL-4-I...6&sr=8-16&th=1

6126VH5EjcL._SL1500_.jpg

this tool doesn't have to be commercial grade for a job no bigger than this one

BON CHANCE

sw
    "we are the people, our parents warned us about" (jb)

steve

I have cut the bottom close with a saber saw, watching the blade top and bottom, then planed what's left. Cant the saber saw to get in a little closer where the angle is sharper. Don't get too close, of course.
    Alan, of B&B, had a small router with an adjustable base that he set to the proper bevel and reset a few times as he went along, using a flush cut bit. He cleaned up with a block plane and probably a sander. I thought it looked pretty neat, and as I recall, he may even have left the baseplate a little loose and adjusted the plane as he went to follow the angle. I saw him do that, but have looked in vain since then for that kind of adjustable base plate on a small router.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul356 View Post
    I have cut the bottom close with a saber saw, watching the blade top and bottom, then planed what's left. Cant the saber saw to get in a little closer where the angle is sharper. Don't get too close, of course.
    Alan, of B&B, had a small router with an adjustable base that he set to the proper bevel and reset a few times as he went along, using a flush cut bit. He cleaned up with a block plane and probably a sander. I thought it looked pretty neat, and as I recall, he may even have left the baseplate a little loose and adjusted the plane as he went to follow the angle. I saw him do that, but have looked in vain since then for that kind of adjustable base plate on a small router.

Bosch has made one... maybe still does. Mine is about 20 years old now. I don't have much call to use it, but when the need arises, it's handy.

Jeff

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

Quote Originally Posted by beecher View Post
    Thanks for all the great responses! Here’s a pic of the recently completed deck for your perusal. Again, Argggh! Sideways…..

0E4345EC-948A-439E-ABBA-FADFAF837071.jpg

i see that silly little DA there, do you not have a proper disc sander ?