Thread: 'I'm not that smart': Herschel Walker says 'he'll do his best'

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default 'I'm not that smart': Herschel Walker says 'he'll do his best'

“I am getting out talking to people and talking to you (referring to the media),” said Walker. “I'm a country boy. I'm not that smart. He's a preacher. (Warnock) is smart and wears these nice suits. So, he is going to show up and embarrass me at the debate Oct. 14th, and I'm just waiting to show up and I will do my best.

Walker toured the Port of Savannah ahead of the press conference, but when asked what he learned about the tour, Walker said it was “very interesting” and then deviated from the topic to talk about Biden’s proposed hiring of thousands of IRS agents and how many of those could have taken jobs at the Port – and in schools.

“Well, one of the things I learned is this port is the second largest generator in the country of money, and yet [they] wanted to hire 87,000 IRS agents. Wait a minute. If the Port is generating revenue, and if the second largest generator in the country is here, don’t you think we ought to take maybe 4,000 of those agents and put them here on the Port? That still leaves them 83,000. I can count. Then take maybe 3,000 and put them in the schools as police officers.”

https://www.savannahnow.com/story/ne...s/10397540002/

Default Re: 'I'm not that smart': Herschel Walker says 'he'll do his best'

dse

bet he wins
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

In Georgia, that passes as critical thinking.
    ITS CHAOS, BE KIND

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

I can't grok either one of em.
    dude is a preacher, after all,
    believes in make believe

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    “I am getting out talking to people and talking to you (referring to the media),” said Walker. “I'm a country boy. I'm not that smart. He's a preacher. (Warnock) is smart and wears these nice suits. So, he is going to show up and embarrass me at the debate Oct. 14th, and I'm just waiting to show up and I will do my best.
    Certainly knows how to hit the anti-elitist, anti-education, blue-collar audience with what they want to hear. That mean Democrat is going to wear nice suits and embarrass me! Poor ol' me. Just a dumb country boy. But I sure do try hard.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Warnock is impressive as anyone there's been in the Senate, or at least, so say his somewhat awestruck Senate colleagues. The man's analytical and rhetorical skills are only matched by his personal courage and moral compass.

It's a travesty that Walker is even considered a serious competitor. Not that someone couldn't be found who's in Warnock's league, to make it a genuine contest of ideas and personal qualities, but the cynical GOP decision to cede that ground, and thereby make the race about Trump commitment.

Everyone knows that Walker is an idiot, whether or not that's highlighted by the contrast with Warnock. The point is exactly like the point of all Trumpists' lies - its a test of faith and loyalty to outwardly pretend what you fully know is wrong. Because Dear Leader requires it.

It hardens Trumpists loyalty, by incessantly forcing them to double down, and split off even family and former friends who can't quite stomach this demand. The rump of Trumpists is smaller, but more deeply in the cult.
    If I use the word "God," I sure don't mean an old man in the sky who just loves the occasional goat sacrifice. - Anne Lamott

I'm not so sure. I think the abortion issue is going to drive a great deal of the vote. Whether people will be allowed to vote, or their votes are counted properly is a whole different issue.

I do hope this debate is televised.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Herschel truly is an idiot, but he is the perfect GOP candidate in GA. Black, so some of the black community will vote for him, and a famous sports figure, so a lot of the white community will overlook the fact that he is black.
    He will be a puppet, nothing more.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

It says bad bucket loads about Georgia that a walking CTE victim like Walker has a good chance of defeating a good man like Warnock.

This country. Bah.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    It says bad bucket loads about Georgia that a walking CTE victim like Walker has a good chance of defeating a good man like Warnock.

This country. Bah.

It’ll come down to $$. People vote their wallets. If they feel they are better off than they were 2 years ago then Warnock gets another term, if not GO DOGS, WOOF WOOF.

Good friend of mine that resides in the inner circles in DC once told me there are only 3 reasons anything happens in that town. It likely applies to all politics.

MONEY. PU$$Y. FEAR.

Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    And a lack of curiosity of the world. And you? My guess is that you would vote for Walker. All of your posts regarding Covid, your confusion of the CDC versus the unrelated, non-government CDC Foundation, suggest that you also are concerned primarily by your wallet.
    Faced with that choice I might just stay home! But you are correct about my concern about my wallet when it comes to the government.
    The past few years and the “pandemic” have moved my political meter to the right. That doesn’t mean I’m a supporter of trump, I’m not. It also doesn’t mean I’m anti abortion. I’m not.
    But I will vote for whomever benefits me and my family the most. Unfortunately that usually means the lesser of 2 evils (or idiots) now.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Faced with that choice I might just stay home! But you are correct about my concern about my wallet when it comes to the government.
    The past few years and the “pandemic” have moved my political meter to the right. That doesn’t mean I’m a supporter of trump, I’m not. It also doesn’t mean I’m anti abortion. I’m not.
    But I will vote for whomever benefits me and my family the most. Unfortunately that usually means the lesser of 2 evils (or idiots) now.
    Which means what? You would vote for Walker over Warnock? Trump over anyone at all?

If so, you need a review of comparative adjectives and their meanings.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

The past few years and the “pandemic” have moved my political meter to the right. ...
    The use of scare quotes around the word pandemic is interesting, there are a lot of people with dead relatives who might have something to say about that.

As for benefiting your family, do we have to trot out the chart showing the economy doing better under Democratic administrations than Republican ones again?
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

there ya go again
    acting all intellectually elite and ****
    Quote Originally Posted by twodot View Post
    As an airline pilot you were always doing well. Always.

Perhaps you seek out an information bubble that justifies your self-absorption, and your wallet?

Your comments on Covid were always catty. Always.

My information bubble is different - I could download the monkeypox genome in a minute and use it to find the candidate antigens for vaccine production in five minutes. I don't confuse the CDC and the CDC Foundation, I know people in the CDC, I have visited the CDC to obtain reagents for my research.

Frankly I find your position lacking. The president, the government, has less control over prices and inflation than many believe. Biden and the dems HAVE passed bills that address climate change, will increase spending by those who are out from under college loans, which should show up as some job creation. Many corporations have simply taken advantage of the recent situation to raise prices and make record profits.

Hard to accomplish much when the filibuster blocks most.

If one supports what Biden has tried to do, one would, I believe, vote to give him more dems in congress.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

So the right's response to the "pandemic" moved your meter to support them? I seem to remember Trump being in office.

Those of us not famous need to be capable. Even then, fame carries more weight and has for a long time.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Those of us not famous need to be capable. Even then, fame carries more weight and has for a long time.
    Sad but true. Almost makes sense when people voted for the people Reagan played in movies. But a running back?

It still, IMO, gets down to our very basic problem. We accept lies as free speech. It's destroying the country.

Two questions:
    Is there a Heisman for debating?
    Will it be covered by ESPN?

We will see. I figure 35% of the voters are going to vote for the Republican regardless of how silly they look. I believe there are registered republicans who will not vote for this, or other, idiots. How many stay home, or how many vote for the dem, is impossible to know, but I don't think it takes a lot to change the election results.

There are a couple of truths: If you support a woman making her own choice in regards to pregnancy, if you believe Climate Change is a real problem, as examples, you must vote for democrats.

This campaign could be an absolute joke, except for the fact that it's truly a tragedy.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

#11: CTE is not a disqualifier for character, per se, but in my mind it sure is for elected office.

Plus, of course, is the embrace of christo-fascism and moron conspiracy theories.

You think he is qualified to be a senator? Explain.
    Last edited by Gerarddm; 09-19-2022 at 05:40 PM.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post

This country. Bah.
    I don't think anyone will know whether he has CTE unless an autopsy is done after he dies.

Walker has serious issues with telling the truth. He lies to his own aides. Surely that is more important.

Of course, none of his voters think that he needs to think at all. All he has to do is to vote as TFG tells him to vote.

This entire discussion comes down to character. Illuminating, no?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

#27: Rob, my CTE comment via a vis Walker is shorthand for the guy is a complete joke as a serious senatorial candidate. Of course, until there is an autopsy, no one knows definitively whether a particular person is suffering from CTE or not.

Nevertheless, clearly I have ruffled your feathers. Apologies.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Quote Originally Posted by Fred Z View Post
    I've never notice you coming across as an asshole. There are plenty of others here who do. Stop worrying about it - I enjoy your posts.

and my opinion counts.
    mister frikking eight posts,

seriously rob, what mister z said

I'm in for the count...

How about OJ for Ca. 21st district?

^ Given the state of a disturbing number of the electorate, he'd get votes. Hell, Caitlyn Jenner did.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Walker sez: "... don’t you think we ought to take maybe 4,000 of those agents and put them here on the Port?"

Hmmm. The Georgia Ports Authority currently has 27 job openings. http://www.zippia.com/georgia-ports-...p-popout-timed

Walker takes a page from DeSantis's stunt book and promises people non-existent jobs.
    "Be curious, not judgmental." - (Misattributed to Walt Whitman as recalled by) Ted Lasso

He was a gifted athlete but has left a string of failed businesses and loan defaults in his wake since leaving the NFL.

This is an interesting read from the Atalanta Journal: https://archive.ph/gHvWb

Much like TFG, his business empire is often long on braggadocio but short on cash.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan