Thread: Angry birds

Default Angry birds

The Australian version

https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/ang...oping-magpies/
    Each and every rider at the 2022 UCI Road World Championships will, of course, be wearing a helmet - an obligatory measure to defend against head injuries in the event of crashes.

But the lids will serve a secondary function in Wollongong, as riders brace themselves for swooping attacks from above.

The city on Australia's east coast is home to a large magpie population, and the coming of spring marks the start of what's known as 'swooping season'.

Default Re: Angry birds

A friend was riding her bike on Vashon Island last year when an owl swooped down and clawed at her helmet, the suspicion is it mistook her ponytail for a squirrel. There have been a few news reports about an aggressive owl in SeaTac recently.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

Posties cop a hammering from breeding pairs of magpies. Some of the birds swoop as close as they can to your head without touching, but some will hit your helmet hard enough to knock your head sideways and make your ears ring. People takes measures to try to deter them. One little deaf guy on a bicycle here had a black curly wig glued over his helmet with a large number of black drinking straws sticking out of it in all directions. An interesting look JayInOz

I was riding in a pace line with four other guys when some Canada Geese were crossing our path. One of the geese at the edge of the echelon misjudged playing chicken with the lead rider and the collided.

A full grown goose to the chest will take a fellow down post haste. The rest of us fell over from laughter.

They are a killer! A young man had his eye poked out in Sale, Victoria.....

In my small country town I was hit on the back of the head when riding my bike bringing the heated pies from the local post office back to the primary school for lunch! They were ordered in the morning and transported from the Narracorrte, the nearest town 20 miles away on the Train to Adelaide. Twisted my knee, skin graze, bent front wheel..... and pies all over the road!

A love hate relationship as they are a magnificent bird and the mascot of my football team, the mighty Magpies.....Pies for short!!

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. Leonardo da Vinci.

If war is the answer........... it must be a profoundly stupid question.

"Freighters on the nod on the surface of the bay, One of these days we're going to sail away"
    Bruce Cockburn

Look at that beak!

live coverage, women’s tt right now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cJw0sFR4rRQ

When walking where there were really nasty buggers I used to carry a tennis racket and a small mirror, as they nearly always attack from behind. They learn quickly. Last spring a young woman ran to get away from an attacking magpie and tripped and fell, killing her little baby she was carrying in her arms. They're just getting ready for nesting here. It's the females that do most of the warbling, and they often put on a display of high acrobatic flying just as the light is fading in the evenings, making as much wing noise as possible- louder than ravens wings. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYEYc8Ge3nw JayInOz
    Last edited by JayInOz; 09-18-2022 at 07:40 AM.

Cyclist anti-magpie measures here range from a forest of jumbo plastic cable ties protruding from the bike helmet, to several self adhesive "eyes" facing toward the back - the winged menaces tend to attack from behind.
    A workmate from a farming background preferred a shotgun, as magpies are classified as a pest in NZ.

Pete
    The Ignore feature, lowering blood pressure since 1862. Ahhhhhhh.

No mention of magpies, 25 yr old Tobias Foss was the unexpected winner.

https://www.eurosport.com/cycling/wo...81/story.shtml