Thread: RNLI Torbay To the Rescue!

Default RNLI Torbay To the Rescue!

Courtesy of The Guardian.

A dog took a dive off a 100-foot cliff near Torbay, Devonshire, while on a walk with its owner.

RNLI Torbay saved the dog (and the day)!

https://youtu.be/x1hqb4i12Ns

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Default Re: RNLI Torbay To the Rescue!

Now that the RNLI crews are all fitted with bodycams, they are able to make a fly on the wall series of their shouts.
    Some of it is heart stopping, as well as heart-warming.

https://www.justwatch.com/uk/tv-seri...g-lives-at-sea
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

well done
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I was just reading through the list of RNLI Torbay "shouts".

Jet skis and stand-up paddleboards seem to feature prominently in them. Kayaks and wind surfers to a lesser extent.
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

^ That depends a lot on the shape of the coast. Flat sandy beaches with bars trend to have people cur off by an incoming tide, as do narrow beaches under cliffs. Estuaries pose other problems and so on.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

The OP reminds me of an incident a few years back.

My parents live on the coast a few miles west of Torbay. My sister was down visiting with her new boyfriend and, keen to make a good impression with the parents, he offered to take my father's Labrador out for a walk.

As they walked along the coast path, the dog spotted a fishing buoy in the water and, probably thinking it was a ball to be retrieved, leapt into the water and swam, doggedly, against the current to the buoy. When the dog got there he sank his teeth into it, whereupon buoy and dog were dragged under the water by the current.

Being a Labrador it probably didn't occur to him that this could be anything other than a ball and therefore its only purpose for being there was to be retrieved so he clung on, sort of surfacing and disappearing beneath the sea at random intervals.

Horrified that the first real impression the new BF would make on my parents was to kill their dog, he began to strip off so as to swim out and try to pry the dog from the buoy. Happily before he had waded much further than up to his knees the dog finally gave up on the idea and swam back.

The new boyfriend got a lot of brownie points for his rescue plan. The general feeling amongst the family was that, as much as we liked the dog, none of us would have braved swimming out in the wintery cold sea to save the stupid animal...