Thread: Been reading more about Princess Ann the last several days than I have over 40 years.

Default Been reading more about Princess Ann the last several days than I have over 40 years.

Her brothers all have more military creds (well, not much for Edward, eh), however, I can imagine Ann doing better than her siblings in command of a real naval vessel, like a destroyer. I sure wouldn't want to be in the submarine she might be chasing. Adjetives such as "steely", "self-confident", "prepared", all apply.

Default Re: Been reading more about Princess Ann the last several days than I have over 40 ye

I liked how she has been portrayed in The Crown.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Default Re: Been reading more about Princess Ann the last several days than I have over 40 ye

Princess Royal is credited with being the hardest working of all the firm, but Anne prefers to keep her head down and carry on.
    That is not to criticize those whose support is helped by publicity, like the Invictus Games.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

^ " Hardest working".

What exactly do they DO, other than show up at events?

" Nice work if you can get it, and you can get it if you try".
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

HRH the Princess Royal is the only “Royal” that my family have met - and the point is that all four of us have met her, but each of us on four separate occasions.

There’s a tiny local charity that she’s involved with which gets people who would not normally be anywhere near a boat a chance to do some organised sailing which gets them to the point where they can continue in the sport. It’s very low profile and when she visits it - which she does - it’s actually “anti publicity” - “please don’t come down tomorrow because Princess Anne will be here!” The Missions to Seamen facility in Felixstowe Port got a make over - again Princess Anne drops in, quietly. She sails, with her husband, on the west coast of Scotland - Rustler 43 currently, replaced a 37, with effectively no fuss.

She is said to take after her father. Always punctual, always precise. Seldom a wasted word.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 09-17-2022 at 10:43 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    ^ " Hardest working".

What exactly do they DO, other than show up at events?

" Nice work if you can get it, and you can get it if you try".
    The Princess Royal has a busy schedule of engagements which see her travel widely across the UK and overseas. Known for her love of horses and an equestrian career which saw her compete in the 1976 Montreal Olympic Games, Her Royal Highness is involved with riding for the disabled organisations across the Commonwealth. Much of her time is also spent supporting the work of Save the Children, of which she has been President since 1970. Find out more about her life and work in this section.

The Princess Royal started undertaking public work at the age of 18, when her first engagement was the opening of an educational and training centre in Shropshire in 1969. Since then, she has established significant and ongoing relationships with a number of charities and organisations across the Commonwealth and has one of the busiest working schedules of any member of the Royal Family.

Her Royal Highness has been President of Save the Children UK since 1970, and it was the first major charity with which she became closely associated. It has given her great insight into the needs of children worldwide and an understanding of the issues affecting developing countries. In her work for the organisation, The Princess has visited Save the Children projects in many countries, including China, Cambodia, Botswana, Madagascar and The Philippines.

Her Royal Highness is involved with over 300 charities, organisations and military regiments in the UK and overseas, and she devotes a large part of her working life to official engagements and visits.
    The Princess has been closely involved with the creation of several charities, notably The Princess Royal's Trust for Carers (now Carers Trust), Transaid and Riders for Health. The Carers’ Trust provides support for the millions of individuals in the UK who are responsible for caring for someone. Transaid and Riders for Health both try to overcome some of the difficulties caused by poor transportation links in developing countries.

Her Royal Highness also carries out a very wide range of official duties and visits in the United Kingdom in support of regional authorities and local institutions.
    Having competed in the 1976 Montreal Olympic Games as a member of the British equestrian team, The Princess Royal is able to bring insight and experience to her role a British member of the International Olympic Committee. Her Royal Highness took part in London's successful bid to host the 2012 Olympic Games, and was a member of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games. In 2016 The Princess visited Rio to meet Team GB in her role as President of the British Olympic Association.
    https://www.royal.uk/the-princess-royal
    https://www.royal.uk/the-prince-of-wales
    The Earl of Wessex undertaks public engagements for a large number of his own charities. His work has a particular focus on the development of The Duke of Edinburgh's Award, from which he has taken over many responsibilities from his father.

The Earl carries out a busy schedule of engagements in support of a large number of charities. His Royal Highness is especially passionate about organisations and causes which provide opportunities to young people.
    The Duke of Edinburgh's Award

Founded by Prince Philip in 1956, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award is a flexible programme which helps young people to develop skills for life and work. The Earl of Wessex has been deeply committed to the organisation's work since achieving his own Gold Award in 1986. The following year, His Royal Highness became a UK Trustee of the charity and of the International Award Association, and was chair of its International Council for 17 years. Since 2015 The Earl has been Chairman of the Trustees of The Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award Foundation. In these roles, The Earl travels widely within the UK and overseas, attending events and presenting Gold Awards. In 1999, he established the International Special Projects Group, to broaden the reach of the Award, especially to young people considered to be at risk or marginalised in society.

During 2016, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award will celebrate its 60th anniversary, with The Earl of Wessex playing a leading role. Over the past six decades almost 2.5 million young people have achieved Awards. There are currently one million participants in the initiative.

The Earl and Countess of Wessex Trust

In 2019, the Wessex Youth Trust was renamed The Earl and Countess of Wessex Trust. Having met the charity’s original objective – supporting and advancing organisations which provide opportunities for children and young people - the Trust will now broaden its charitable endeavours beyond youth focused initiatives and will focus on developing strong relationships with a selected group of charities.
    The Earl and Countess of Wessex founded The Wessex Youth Trust Shortly before their marriage in 1999. It offered grants and support to charities helping young people. The Trust benefited a broad cross-section of youth oriented causes, including hospitals and hospices, child protection and drug-prevention schemes, inner city drop-in centres, sex education initiatives, special educational needs libraries, sports facilities and arts groups. The Wessex Youth Trust distributed over £2.5 million to over 180 causes during its two successful decades.
    Sport and the Arts

As a keen sports fan, The Earl is associated with a number of official bodies. He is Patron of Paralympics GB and Vice Patron of the Commonwealth Games Federation. He also serves as Patron of Badminton Scotland, The Tennis and Rackets Association and The International Real Tennis Professionals Association. His Royal Highness is President of the Sport and Recreation Alliance.
    The Earl also has a strong personal interest in the Arts and is Patron of a number of organisations within this area. These include City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra and Chorus, London Mozart Players, Windsor Festival, Haddo House Choral and Operatic Society, Northern Ballet, National Youth Theatre of Great Britain, National Youth Orchestras of Scotland and The Orpheus Centre Trust. Whenever possible, His Royal Highness greatly enjoys attending plays and concerts.
    Military appointments

The Earl of Wessex supports the work of the Armed Forces both in the United Kingdom and abroad, holding a total of eight Military appointments.
    In 2007, The Earl of Wessex became Royal Colonel of 2nd Battalion The Rifles following the reorganisation of the Infantry. He regularly visits the Battalion at their base in Northern Ireland and has visited them on several occasions while on operational duties, including in Afghanistan.
    His Royal Highness is Royal Honorary Colonel of the Royal Wessex Yeomanry and The London Regiment and meets servicemen and their families whenever possible.
    In 2006, The Earl was appointed Commodore-in-Chief of the Royal Fleet Auxiliary and in 2008, Honorary Air Commodore of Royal Air Force Waddington.
    The Earl holds three military positions in Canada, as Colonel-in-Chief of the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, the Prince Edward Island Regiment and the Saskatchewan Dragoons.
    https://www.royal.uk/the-earl-of-wessex

So heroic.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

a large part of her working life to official engagements and visits.

As I was saying...
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

The whole thing is a hustle.

As I was saying...
    You are implying that is not work?
    You give it a try and then get back to us.

Gerard would look fantastic wearing the Royal Cypher. All his loyal subjects would soon have mustaches as well.

I don't think they understand the apoliticality of it at all Nick, and I don't think they want to.
    Given the endemic corruption of their own political situation I'm not surprised.

It’s true. Our parties are for profit corporations.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    I don't think they understand the apoliticality of it at all Nick, and I don't think they want to.
    Given the endemic corruption of their own political situation I'm not surprised.
    Agreed.
    There is nothing quite as permanent as a good temporary repair.

Quote Originally Posted by skuthorp View Post
    Yep, could be. When the Clinton's do some really effective charitable work, they get a total slagging off.

Britain is headed in the same direction.

Truss wanted to « accompany » King Charles in his tour of the four nations; that one was seen off but from the other side my Twitter feed is awash with left wing criticism of the national mourning, the queue for Westminster Hall, etc.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

My outsider/colonial take on the royal family is that, far from being the life of freedom to do whatever you want (as many might imagine it), it must be a life almost completely filled up with obligations and responsibilities, unasked for and (I'm sure) quite demanding. Life in a fishbowl, too.

I'm glad not to have been born into that. And I suspect those that are handle it as best they can--and often succeed admirably.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Britain is headed in the same direction.

Truss wanted to « accompany » King Charles in his tour of the four nations; that one was seen off but from the other side my Twitter feed is awash with left wing criticism of the national mourning, the queue for Westminster Hall, etc.
    It just shows how far out of touch the Left Wing Wackos are. Extremism never gets it right.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    My outsider/colonial take on the royal family is that, far from being the life of freedom to do whatever you want (as many might imagine it), it must be a life almost completely filled up with obligations and responsibilities, unasked for and (I'm sure) quite demanding. Life in a fishbowl, too.

I'm glad not to have been born into that. And I suspect those that are handle it as best they can--and often succeed admirably.

Tom
    ACB's post on the other thread is appropriate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    This is interesting on the hounding of the Duke and Duchess in the social media:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...n-report-finds
    Did Chelsea Clinton not also cop for some abuse by the trolls, or was it just the gutter press?
    Last edited by Peerie Maa; 09-18-2022 at 06:30 AM.

The gutter press has made millions, probably billion out of the royal family, and then there's the trash magazine trade and screen media………………….
    And that's without mentioning the tourist trade and associated souvenir business.

But there is an uneasy partnership of course, has been since Albert invented much of the bling to reinstate Victoria's popularity. Bread and circusses etc.

#10: Puh-lease. She has some 300-odd charities that she's 'involved' in? Just how effective is her participation when she is flitting about like a hummingbird?

Let her really get involved in perhaps a dozen organizations where she can chair meetings, be hands-on, use her clout, shake things up for the good with measurable results. That to me would be hard-working.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

“Involved” covers a spectrum.

To put it mildly, I don’t move in Royal circles but here are a couple of examples involving her late father.

I know, because I was asked if could suggest someone, that as Master of Trinity House he had given them a hard time for being an all male body and had “suggested” that it was about time they elected a woman Master Mariner as an Elder Brother. This was around 1992. I did suggest someone but New Zealand was a bit far to commute for meetings and they found someone nearer.

I don’t know, but have been told, that it was he who proposed the changes that led the Yacht Racing Association to become the Royal Yachting Association in 1952. That was a massive change, with a body that had been responsible for racing rules and protest adjudications becoming the body that represents everyone who messes about in boats and the take over of the Yacht Master scheme from the Board of Trade.

These posts passed to his daughter. Trinity House is technically a charity but not really. The RYA is not.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 09-18-2022 at 10:17 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

#10: Puh-lease. She has some 300-odd charities that she's 'involved' in? Just how effective is her participation when she is flitting about like a hummingbird?

Let her really get involved in perhaps a dozen organizations where she can chair meetings, be hands-on, use her clout, shake things up for the good with measurable results. That to me would be hard-working.
    As ACB said, involved covers a wide spectrum.
    Her Royal Highness has been President of Save the Children UK since 1970, and it was the first major charity with which she became closely associated. It has given her great insight into the needs of children worldwide and an understanding of the issues affecting developing countries. In her work for the organisation, The Princess has visited Save the Children projects in many countries, including China, Cambodia, Botswana, Madagascar and The Philippines.

The Princess has been closely involved with the creation of several charities, notably The Princess Royal's Trust for Carers (now Carers Trust), Transaid and Riders for Health. The Carers’ Trust provides support for the millions of individuals in the UK who are responsible for caring for someone. Transaid and Riders for Health both try to overcome some of the difficulties caused by poor transportation links in developing countries.

Having competed in the 1976 Montreal Olympic Games as a member of the British equestrian team, The Princess Royal is able to bring insight and experience to her role a British member of the International Olympic Committee. Her Royal Highness took part in London's successful bid to host the 2012 Olympic Games, and was a member of the London Organising Committee for the Olympic Games.
    Those are just some instances that your prejudice caused you to ignore. See here for more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne,_...yal#Activities

[QUOTE=Peerie Maa;6727579]

Those are just some instances that your prejudice caused you to ignore.

Minds as tight as clams are not prized open with information or reality.
    "Mozart is the heart's touchstone" (Edwin Fischer)

[QUOTE=downthecreek;6727916]
    Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post

Those are just some instances that your prejudice caused you to ignore.

Minds as tight as clams are not prized open with information or reality.
    Extremely pleased to see you here.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

#23, 24: Prejudice? Please. I don't give a damn about the royals one way or another.

Again I say: flitting about with one's efforts spread thinly like a paucity of marmalade on toast is not hard working in my book, but hey, if you think so, what the hey. My mileage varies.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Oh, but you clearly do. Enough of a damn to start a hostile argument about poor, hard working Ann (on which point you don’t know what you are talking about) and repeat it, quite unnecessarily when challenged. I imagine there are plenty of people here who genuinely don’t give a damn either way, and, thus, feel no need to stick their oars in either way.

But, hey, what the heck? As my granny would have remarked – each tae their ane, as the auld wife said when she kissed the coo!

No doubt you will want the last word. That’s fine. but there really isn’t any need to say it a third time.

Thank you, Andrew. Just passing, as I was interested to see what was going on here.

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    Thank you, Andrew. Just passing, as I was interested to see what was going on here.
    Like Andrew CB, I much enjoyed your input. More needed...
    A2

Quote Originally Posted by downthecreek View Post
    It is good to hear from you, I hope that you are well, and don't be a stranger.