Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Stormvogel

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    25,720

    Default Stormvogel

    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr 1999
    Location
    Hyannis, MA, USA
    Posts
    50,978

    Default Re: Stormvogel

    I was twelve or so when she opened my eyes to glued layers.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    25,720

    Default Re: Stormvogel

    Ian, you were the first person I ever saw use the term 'finastkind'. I think that suits Stormvogel perfectly.

    Our boat, Masina, although much smaller at 38', was based on Stormvogel. We bought Masina in NZ from the man who's the current skipper of Stormvogel. I'm told Stormvogel might be heading to Australia soon so I'm looking forward to having a good look.
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    119,424

    Default Re: Stormvogel

    masina is totally badass boat
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,835

    Default Re: Stormvogel

    Sam Neil and Nicole like her, Billy Zane.. not so much.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,835

    Default Re: Stormvogel

    The other significance is that she was the basis for the first real production superyachts of the day, the Oceans 71.
    ( Thanks Hwyl, who enlightened me to that a decade or so ago)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    25,720

    Default Re: Stormvogel

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    masina is totally badass boat
    Thanks Paul, I think so too! I'm starting some work on Masina in 3 weeks and hope to be doing a lot more sailing after that.

    It'd be great if Stormvogel gets within reach of us and we can team them up a bit. I can't remember when Stormvogel's due in Aus.
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    25,720

    Default Re: Stormvogel

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    The other significance is that she was the basis for the first real production superyachts of the day, the Oceans 71.
    ( Thanks Hwyl, who enlightened me to that a decade or so ago)
    Thanks JB, I didn't know that. She was the gun boat back then so I wonder how many other designers were inspired by her?
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,835

    Default Re: Stormvogel

    Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Thanks JB, I didn't know that. She was the gun boat back then so I wonder how many other designers were inspired by her?
    The subject came up after I posted a photo of Sealestial on here. She'd been owned by a famous American economist or financial guy.The name Buckland springs to mind but thats just a guess. Gareth pointed out the connection to StormV to me .
    Other boats , I don't know.
    So I suppose with the Masina connection you're practically related to Nicole through SV and Dead Calm........

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    119,424

    Default Re: Stormvogel

    william f buckley junior?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2000
    Location
    Bay of Islands,N.Z.
    Posts
    30,835

    Default Re: Stormvogel

    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    william f buckley junior?
    Sounds right, I was fairly close...

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Port Stephens
    Posts
    25,720

    Default Re: Stormvogel

    Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    The subject came up after I posted a photo of Sealestial on here. She'd been owned by a famous American economist or financial guy.The name Buckland springs to mind but thats just a guess. Gareth pointed out the connection to StormV to me .
    Other boats , I don't know.
    So I suppose with the Masina connection you're practically related to Nicole through SV and Dead Calm........
    Ah yes, bathing in reflected glory, that's for sure!

    But it gets worse ... We had neighbours here in Woop Woop, the daughter of whom went to school with Nicole and they remained good friends.

    Not quite as close as you lot though, all actually being related to Sam!
    Rick

    Lean and nosey like a ferret

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •