Thread: Farmers burning fields

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Default Farmers burning fields

When I was young, farmers around here would burn off their fields every fall. Until I was in my teens and someone bought and built on the lot just to the south, the fires would spread to our pasture almost every year and we would have to beat it out using wet burlap feed sacks.
    Now, it seems that rice fields are the only ones that they still burn. 2 or 3 days ago, I saw smoke from a field at least 2 miles to the south. That smoke did reach here some time after I noticed the fire. Today, this one is close but the smoke is staying to the east of me, but those people over there will be getting a lot of it and I'm sure people on the highway are smelling it and possibly driving through a cloud of it.

burning rice field.jpg
    Last edited by Jimmy W; 09-16-2022 at 05:12 PM. Reason: east not north

Default Re: Farmers burning fields

Are the Willamette sod farmers still sterilizing their fields by fire? Certainly in the '70s it got intense at times.

i have not seen fields burned in a long time in alabama

the pine plantations still get their underbrush burned once every five years or so though
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

In Maine they still burn the wild blueberry fields.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

There was noticeable smoke in Wyoming and Montana a couple of days ago, from fires in California.

Arrow Re: Farmers burning fields

When I was a kid we burned leaves in the street.
    I miss that smell.

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Fire is a great tool but the use of this tool needs to be appropriate to the environment by people experienced in its use. Lots of farmers have lots of experience. In southern Minnesota fire is a tool that works well on some prairie, savannah and forest management, controlling some invasive species, and control of some agricultural pathogens. Smoldering smoky piles of leaves in the street might be nostalgic but they damaged streets, set other not wanted fires, didn't do much for people with lung issues, and, most importantly, upset my Mom by smoking up her sheets on the clothes line.

When I was a boy, most of the community turned out to burn the blueberry barrens up behind town. It was a great social event keeping a narrow bit of field burning, with children scurrying while carrying burning bits of straw to spread the fire and the adults controlling it, all of them traveling along together for a mile or so at a time. Ending up with a huge pot of baked beans at the church supper after.
    In the fall the whole coast could be shrouded in smoke like a blue fog, and the view from the head of Penobscot bay looking out at the fall color over Islesboro, down the east and west branch is only the stuff of my dreams now.

Today there are cheap plywood houses scattered amongst diseased and stunted spruce trees where the barrens used to be.

Every once and a while.....we would accidently set the field afire with a model rocket motor! oooppss!
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by Ian McColgin View Post
    Are the Willamette sod farmers still sterilizing their fields by fire? Certainly in the '70s it got intense at times.
    Fortunately, no. I was down a U of O in the mid '70s and we'd roll up towels and stuff them under doors to try to keep out the smoke. When the wind sifted north (summer winds after all) we'd have burning embers dropping on us several miles from the burning fields. My old Triumph Spitfire had a vinyl top with pinhole burns through it for years.