Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Moments when you wish you had a camera

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    2 states: NJ and confusion
    Posts
    44,050

    Default Moments when you wish you had a camera

    I was reminded today of my granddaughter at a soccer game. It had rained the night before and a substantial puddle remained on the field of play. Of course the ball went into the puddle, and she was kicking it out of the puddle, which proved to be a daunting, and funny, task. It took a few kicks, but she finally succeeded.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    9,964

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    yesterday, I had a Red tailed Hawk on my deck with his lunch, a big fat Mourning Dove. I was four feet from it thru the glass.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Portland, Oregon
    Posts
    83,414

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    Nobody keeps the cellphone (camera) handy?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

    "It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Saint Helena Island, SC
    Posts
    12,598

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    Was taking the boat up the creek behind our neighborhood to see a new neighbors dock u dear construction and 2 green herons were perched on a live oak limb overhanging the water. Beautiful birds. Reached for the iPhone, it they flew off before I could snap a pic.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    New Hampshire
    Posts
    40,173

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    I wish I'd spent more time with my younger siblings summers in college. I missed an opportunity that comes only once.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

    "Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

    "Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,724

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    Happens a lot.

    Driving home late yesterday evening in an odd atmospheric light of a drizzling rain mixed with forest fire smoke, I saw a young woman, mid-late teens, wearing but jeans, boots, and a (wet) T-shirt, riding a paint horse bareback at full gallop across a pasture, her long hair a’flying. She had the reins from a bitless halter in one hand, giving the horse his head, her other hand held amazingly steady at her side as they raced over the muddied grass. Solid, confident young rider. Her expression left me with the impression that if she could get that horse to fly …

    She was in a ‘zone’ … and I wonder what got her there. It was wild, it was beautiful.

    Dangit, I had a camera with me and regret not stopping and trying to capture the moment.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    St. Helens, Oregon
    Posts
    4,994

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    Heading out through the Strait of Juan de Fuca as the sun was setting one evening I had a whale dive under the boat and fluke directly in line with the setting sun. Beautiful sight...but no camera on deck.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Valley of the Sun
    Posts
    119,367

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    Dangit, I had a camera with me and regret not stopping and trying to capture the moment.
    sounds exhilarating to witness, i'm regretting your lack of action too
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Rubicon,WI
    Posts
    1,446

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    Quote Originally Posted by J P View Post
    Happens a lot.

    Driving home late yesterday evening in an odd atmospheric light of a drizzling rain mixed with forest fire smoke, I saw a young woman, mid-late teens, wearing but jeans, boots, and a (wet) T-shirt, riding a paint horse bareback at full gallop across a pasture, her long hair a’flying. She had the reins from a bitless halter in one hand, giving the horse his head, her other hand held amazingly steady at her side as they raced over the muddied grass. Solid, confident young rider. Her expression left me with the impression that if she could get that horse to fly …

    She was in a ‘zone’ … and I wonder what got her there. It was wild, it was beautiful.

    Dangit, I had a camera with me and regret not stopping and trying to capture the moment.
    Written well, and I can see it.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    41,974

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    I ALWAYS have a camera, a phone, a computer, a map, ......................... I have an iPhone
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wow-Ming
    Posts
    20,925

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    Somebody else had a camera. I was rather busy.


  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,724

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    High side!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Wow-Ming
    Posts
    20,925

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    That rock, Lucifer in Hell's Half Mile on the Green River in Lodore Canyon, is famous. Major Powell wrecked there.

    We were really flying and the rock was slick with algae. Ooops!

    So, after shrieks and hyperventilation, I leaned way back and had Deb do the same, tipping the boat to the stern and slithering off the rock. We didn't even get wet.

    Sent the pic to my mate Jack, who built the cat tubes. They blew it up and mounted it on the wall of the shop. Good for a laugh.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    2,724

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    Quote Originally Posted by Chip-skiff View Post
    That rock, Lucifer in Hell's Half Mile on the Green River in Lodore Canyon, is famous. Major Powell wrecked there.

    We were really flying and the rock was slick with algae. Ooops!

    So, after shrieks and hyperventilation, I leaned way back and had Deb do the same, tipping the boat to the stern and slithering off the rock. We didn't even get wet.

    Sent the pic to my mate Jack, who built the cat tubes. They blew it up and mounted it on the wall of the shop. Good for a laugh.
    A slick move then. I imagine getting that upstream oar under control was intense.

    That run is on my bucket list. We have a couple of Jack's Paco Pads; bomber river gear, great to sleep on, and I've surfed standing waves on them.
    Last edited by J P; 09-16-2022 at 12:55 AM.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    9,964

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera

    Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Nobody keeps the cellphone (camera) handy?
    I was at home. Phone was sitting on my desk. I am not one to carry it with me at all times.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

    -Dalai Lama

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    18,243

    Default Re: Moments when you wish you had a camera



    When I was on the porch and saw an eagle carrying a fish in its talons flying by very low a few feet away from me. It was chased by another bird and it dropped the fish about twelve feet from me. It was an amazing sight that happened very fast.

    Such a gift for the garden.
    Choose wisely -Treat kindly...

    A secret to a good marriage is to have a quick mind and a slow mouth...



    S/V ORCA 38' Herreshoff Ketch

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •