Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: some pickup trucks. . .

Default Re: some pickup trucks. . .

when kat was at chrysler her group turned this out

the axles alone were $20k apiece

photo taken about a half mile from our home in hell

6C1BF99F-E3DE-4B32-AB2C-D0300A2B4273.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe (SoCal) View Post
    whats a unimog?
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Should have just bought some used c303 axles like the hardcode UK Land Rover modifiers do, 1/10th the price.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Quote Originally Posted by artif View Post
    Currently drive a '79 J20 but would really like an M715 or maybe a 50's willy's pick up, either are rare as hens teeth over this side of the pond.
    The M715, as I mentioned, is woefully underpowered stock. Makes a Series 1 LR look like a rocket sled. Additionally, it is incredibly stiff, making it awful in the woods. Add the 1/4 mile turning radius & you have a typical US Army vehicle - other than the original MB Jeep - they were great.
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by Ralphie Boy View Post
    I guess it’s nostalgia, but I really like the early (Eighties and before) Japanese trucks.
    Nissan (Datsun)
    Attachment 120344
    Toyota
    Attachment 120345
    Same here. That size of truck w 2 liter hybrid engine would be perfect. I had a ‘72 and ‘82 Datsun pickup. Extended cab and 6’ bed would work. Don’t want 4 door.

Little Subaru kei truck around the corner from my coffee shop.

Untitled by Nicholas Carey, on Flickr
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    whats a unimog?
    Too lazy to Google, Paul?

Quote Originally Posted by birlinn View Post
    Too lazy to Google, Paul?
    He was joking. Notice he identified it from the pic?

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    Same here. That size of truck w 2 liter hybrid engine would be perfect. I had a ‘72 and ‘82 Datsun pickup. Extended cab and 6’ bed would work. Don’t want 4 door.
    Me three, but make mine 7 ft bed, because otherwise my bikes don't quite fit without taking the front wheels off.

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post

Back in the early 1990s, I was in Yellowstone National Park.

Met a couple of German guys who were driving a Unimog around the world. They had it rigged up really nicely as an expedition camper.

I remember them telling us that, why yes, Unimogs are loud. So loud, in fact, that they had installed an aircraft cockpit intercom system, and when driving, they wore aviation headsets so they could talk to each other.

You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Since we're talking about pickups - I need to rant a bit. My last PU was an 04 2500 Silverado. Great truck with power to spare, but horrible mileage. The hood on it sloped down towards the grille - giving good visibility. Now the rant part. My newish to me 2014 GMC has the more "modern" "We want a great big grille so it looks tough" styling. I'm 6'5" & the forward visibility when cresting a rise is abysmal & I can't imagine what it's like for someone shorter. Well actually, my 5'8" S-I-L drove it a week or 2 ago & heartily complained about the forward visibility.

Don't automotive stylists ever drive what they design? Dumb question I know because they also never think about serviceability either. However, this is, IMO, a safety issue.

OK - rant over for now.
    Over? Pfffft. This rant will go on until you shuffle off the mortal coil. And with good reason. In fact... it'll likely get worse. And with good reason <sigh>

Both of my boys are considering getting 'small' pickups. It's amazing the premium one pays these days for even a Very High Mileage Tacoma - because of the rep for reliability.

I'm thinking I might suggest they also look at used Frontiers. Thoughts, anyone?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Carey View Post
    Back in the early 1990s, I was in Yellowstone National Park.

Met a couple of German guys who were driving a Unimog around the world. They had it rigged up really nicely as an expedition camper.

I remember them telling us that, why yes, Unimogs are loud. So loud, in fact, that they had installed an aircraft cockpit intercom system, and when driving, they wore aviation headsets so they could talk to each other.
    The fact that this Unimog was at Yellowstone was telling. They were on paved roads, the worst place for a Unimog, doing the usual tourist destinations. I wonder how many times (if ever) they actually needed the extreme off-road capabilities of their vehicle? And if they were confronted with truly gnarly conditions like floods, washed-out roads, or snowstorms, would they risk their $200,000 toy? I think not. They would stay put like everybody else. I imagine 90% of their trip was on paved or 2-track roads usable by any SUV and many sedans. If it were me, I would pick something like my Toyota Tacoma; proven reliability and parts available nearly everywhere.
    And no hearing protection needed

Since we're talking about pickups - I need to rant a bit. My last PU was an 04 2500 Silverado. Great truck with power to spare, but horrible mileage. The hood on it sloped down towards the grille - giving good visibility. Now the rant part. My newish to me 2014 GMC has the more "modern" "We want a great big grille so it looks tough" styling. I'm 6'5" & the forward visibility when cresting a rise is abysmal & I can't imagine what it's like for someone shorter. Well actually, my 5'8" S-I-L drove it a week or 2 ago & heartily complained about the forward visibility.

Don't automotive stylists ever drive what they design? Dumb question I know because they also never think about serviceability either. However, this is, IMO, a safety issue.

OK - rant over for now.
    Over? Pfffft. This rant will go on until you shuffle off the mortal coil. And with good reason. In fact... it'll likely get worse. And with good reason <sigh>

----------------------

Both of my boys are considering getting 'small' pickups. Son1 so he'll have a vehicle. That can tow their 4,000# trailer, instead of borrowing my Tundra. And for ferrying kiddos around. Son2 because he's really enjoyed working as a framer, and is seriously considering making construction his life/business.

It's amazing the premium being paid for even Very High Mileage Tacomas - because of their reps for reliability. It's so bad, I'm considering suggesting they also look at Frontiers. Thoughts, anyone?
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

I pass this on my regular bike route. It's barely off the ground as pictured but has hydraulics. Owned by a nice older Latino man. It's for sale, he said.

IMG_3201.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Davis View Post
    In town I get 30-50% of my driving on the battery. On the highway, the battery is operating along with the V6 twin turbo. At 75, I get about 22-24 mpg. At 80, its down to 14-17 mpg. 80 is slow around here but I usually don't drive 80. The battery is strong but small. In cruise control, I can drive from Billings to Denver and the engine never downshifts, speed doens't increase or decrease, and the tach doesn't budge. Its a powerful engine. So powerful it wouldn't let me slow down fast enough for a construction zone and I got a ticket in Wyoming.

The transmission is a little clunky at low speeds going from electric to gas. But man is it fast.

I got another pickup because I'm a big boy and I occasionally haul stuff. I didn't want to wait for the Lightening because of perceived range issues and I drive through Wyoming a lot. I'm liking it - its just a little different.

Gary
    My 2016 F150 has the max tow package. When I purchased it, there was chatter on various Ford forums that this package was delivering better than advertised hwy mileage. The theory is that the taller gear ratio in the axles keeps the engine closer to its “happy range” with the turbos.

I get about the same as your reporting in identical hwy conditions.

Towing the Airstream at 67 mph yields a pretty wind-dependent 11-13, with the transmission having to do a bit more work.

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

Recently released spy fotos of the 2025 GMC trucks. Ford has promised to follow suit --

David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Ha!

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Recently released spy fotos of the 2025 GMC trucks. Ford has promised to follow suit --

I hope they have a forward-looking camera mounted on that truck - styling kinda reminds me of a Brink's truck with that sharply-slanted windshield

Rick
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

First gen Scout with many non-OEM mods.
    IMG_0714.jpg
    Seen recently at the far end of a nasty portage in Killarney Park,Ontario
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    I hope they have a forward-looking camera mounted on that truck - styling kinda reminds me of a Brink's truck with that sharply-slanted windshield

Rick
    Not even funny, a friend has a raptor with forwarded mount camera. As of now only works in 4low...
    Disbelief in magic can force a poor soul into believing in government and business.
    TOM ROBBINS, Even Cowgirls Get the Blues

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post

The big question is, why?
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

Quote Originally Posted by WX View Post
    The big question is, why?
    It's a photo-shopped pic making (deserved) fun of the current trend in US pickups.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    whistlindiesel has something to say about squatted trucks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HES-jHQ8_Yo

R
    Sleep with one eye open.

It's a photo-shopped pic making (deserved) fun of the current trend in US pickups.
    Clearly... the joke was too subtle. Too believable. <G>
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks

Phew, that is a relief. The RAM is more than ugly enough.
    without freedom of speech, we wouldn't know who the idiots are.

I was behind this Saturday.

1956 Chevrolet pickup.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy W View Post
    I was behind this Saturday.

1956 Chevrolet pickup.jpg

Not a pickup, but Saturday, a very attractive woman driving a cherry 1965 Impala pulled up next to me.

Not restored, just absolutely cherry. Original paint -- light, metallic blue. Original wheels and hubcaps. Original upholstery. All in excellent condition. The chrome was perfect.

It had clearly been taken care of, driven lightly, and stored in a garage. Her windows were open (no a/c), so we had a nice little chat.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Williamson View Post
    First gen Scout with many non-OEM mods.
    IMG_0714.jpg
    Seen recently at the far end of a nasty portage in Killarney Park,Ontario
    R
    I looked at a Scout in similar condition a few years ago. The guy wanted $5k for it.
    I chuckled and left.
    Two weeks later he got $4750
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    I looked at a Scout in similar condition a few years ago. The guy wanted $5k for it.
    I chuckled and left.
    Two weeks later he got $4750
    My son inlaw sold his for $3k and it was running.