Page 1 of 3 12 ... LastLast

Thread: some pickup trucks. . .

Default some pickup trucks. . .

the redneck in me admires this

27E6AC9C-4F11-4C57-A9EA-78A18CDBCEF4.jpg
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Default Re: some pickup trucks. . .

F*** ya!

Approved.
    "Visionary" is he who in every egg sees a carbonara.

730F6D4F-2DFD-4923-B4D0-9AD4C3DDAE40.jpeg

I’m developing an appreciation for these…

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Did they double-up the steering pumps a well as the front wheels, or is turning corners just for pinko-commie-librul-lefties?
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

This monument to douchebaggery actually sold for $30k on BAT yesterday.

Lower pressure footprint and proper fender flare.

Cool Re: some pickup trucks. . .

Old Northern trucks be like.....

Fender flair!!!!
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Quote Originally Posted by Figment View Post
    This monument to douchebaggery actually sold for $30k on BAT yesterday.

I’ve never understood how this is street legal.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

northern Georgia, or Mississippi Delta USA

I passed a yard yesterday with a truck with 4 tractor tires at least twice that tall. But then, it was built for actual mud and not for the street, No fancy paint. Didn't stop for photo.

Back in the early '70s, California had a strict Motor Vehicle Code - vehicle headlights were to be no lower than a certain minimum height , and no higher than a certain maximum height. I don't know if that has been updated, but that yellow truck might have a tough time meeting the requirements

I'd love to see the guy at the alignment shop figuring out how to align it!
    "If it ain't broke, you're not trying." - Red Green

Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Back in the early '70s, California had a strict Motor Vehicle Code - vehicle headlights were to be no lower than a certain minimum height , and no higher than a certain maximum height. I don't know if that has been updated, but that yellow truck might have a tough time meeting the requirements
    I dunno about the States, but in the UK the vehicle body (mudguards) have to cover (be wider than) the tires.
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    I dunno about the States, but in the UK the vehicle body (mudguards) have to cover (be wider than) the tires.
    Depends on the state. Here in VT, that's true. NH is more lenient, as are some other states. Since police generally won't stop you unless it's extreme, a lot of folks with big tires put on smaller ones for inspection, then put the big ones back on.

"street legal" mostly comes into play after the fact (after a wreck) when the insurance company says the illegal modifications to the vehicle invalidate their coverage and you're 100% liable for whatever damage/injury may have occurred.

So here is one where the truck body is being married to Crown Vic chassis and engine. The paint job is nearly original and rather than fix it or do something else, they clear coated it to protect it - patina and all.

IMG_1013.jpg

Since we're talking about pickups - I need to rant a bit. My last PU was an 04 2500 Silverado. Great truck with power to spare, but horrible mileage. The hood on it sloped down towards the grille - giving good visibility. Now the rant part. My newish to me 2014 GMC has the more "modern" "We want a great big grille so it looks tough" styling. I'm 6'5" & the forward visibility when cresting a rise is abysmal & I can't imagine what it's like for someone shorter. Well actually, my 5'8" S-I-L drove it a week or 2 ago & heartily complained about the forward visibility.

Don't automotive stylists ever drive what they design? Dumb question I know because they also never think about serviceability either. However, this is, IMO, a safety issue.

OK - rant over for now.

It's a very real problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post
    Since we're talking about pickups - I need to rant a bit. My last PU was an 04 2500 Silverado. Great truck with power to spare, but horrible mileage. The hood on it sloped down towards the grille - giving good visibility. Now the rant part. My newish to me 2014 GMC has the more "modern" "We want a great big grille so it looks tough" styling. I'm 6'5" & the forward visibility when cresting a rise is abysmal & I can't imagine what it's like for someone shorter. Well actually, my 5'8" S-I-L drove it a week or 2 ago & heartily complained about the forward visibility.

Don't automotive stylists ever drive what they design? Dumb question I know because they also never think about serviceability either. However, this is, IMO, a safety issue.

OK - rant over for now.
    It’s the military Hummer/MRAP aesthetic filtered down over the decades. The idea is to push things out of the way and crush them. The hood of a new Nissan Frontier is higher than my ‘97 F150.

That’s one of the things I like about my 2019 Ridgeline, fairly low, short hood and good visibility forward.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

My ‘99 F-350 work truck has no lift and standard wheels/tires and yet I almost need to pole vault to get into it. But if I park beside a new full size truck, mine looks tiny and streamlined……
    Dodge led the movement to a “freight liner” look, and Ford soon followed because sales were declining. Everything since has moved further and further in that direction

Quote Originally Posted by Decourcy View Post
    Dodge led the movement to a “freight liner” look, and Ford soon followed because sales were declining. Everything since has moved further and further in that direction
    the toyotas are vomitous

there are multiple very large pickup truck only dealers here in phx that even with high gas prices are selling the hell out of trucks - their specialty is lifted 'off road ready' brand new pickups - dse
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

yeah the "off road ready" thing is becoming hilarious. I saw a commercial for a ford FX4 the other day which made the lack of travel in the front suspension really obvious.

I've owned pickups for the last 50 years and am confused by the over-the-top trucks of today. They're rarely used for actual hauling or serious off-roading, because who wants to get their $80,000 truck scratched up? They're mainly good for macho strutting and posing, often bought by recently retired men who are feeling over the hill but want to project to the world an image of vigor and 'presence'. A force to be reckoned with! It's telling that GM trucks have a tailgate that turns into steps, so their macho owners can struggle up and into the bed of the truck.

My nephew liked my Tacoma so bought one, but his cost twice as much as mine with suspension, wheels/tires, and other mods. The bed is filled with roll bar and huge spare tire so no room for anything else. He only rarely and timidly takes it off road (might scratch the clear coat!), and doesn't drive it on the street much because of poor gas mileage; he drives his Civic instead. But he is very active on internet forums where people talk about their trucks and how they modify them.

Sorry; guess I'm feeling cynical today.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    I’ve never understood how this is street legal.
    Quote Originally Posted by hawkeye54 View Post
    Not street legal in Washington.

Washington State requires that the center of the headlamps (RCW 46.37.040) be between 24 and 54 inches above the ground.

Lift kits (WAC 204-10-036) with spacers more than 3 inches in height are illegal, as is raising the body more than 4 inches. That also requires that the "motor vehicle must be capable of stable, controlled operation while traversing a slalom-type path passing alternately to the left and right of at least four cones or markers arranged in a straight line and spaced sixty feet apart at a minimum speed of 25 mph."

It must have (WAC 204-10-022) "fenders designed to cover the entire tire tread width that comes in contact with the road surface. Coverage of the tire tread circumference must be from at least fifteen degrees in front and to at least seventy-five degrees to the rear of the vertical centerline at each wheel measured from the center of the wheel rotation."

And bumpers (also WAC 204-10-022) must "be mounted at a maximum height based on the vehicle classification and original gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of the vehicle, measured from a level surface to the highest point on the bottom of the bumper. " Maximum bumper heights (to the bottom of the bumper) are:

• Passenger cars: 22 inches front and back.
    • Trucks:
      • GVW 4,500 pounds or less: 24 inches front, 26 inches back
      • GVW 7,500 pounds or less: 27 inches front, 29 inches back
      • GVW more than 7,500 pounds: 28 inches front, 29 inches back
    You would not enjoy Nietzsche, sir. He is fundamentally unsound. — P.G. Wodehouse (Carry On, Jeeves)

Saw this fine specimen the other day.

20220920_115727.jpg

20220920_115754.jpg

Life is short, play with your cougar.

Fine specimen indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Garret View Post

OK - rant over for now.

I think they think about serviceability quite a bit: how can we drive the handiest most knowledgable owner to having one of our dealers do the work so we make more money on parts and service.

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

This is what I'd be driving to the mill if I had enough spare $. 8' 5" bed.

International pickup 1967 001.jpg

International pickup 1967 002.jpg

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

this binder was my daily for 20 years

I do not miss it one teeny tiny bit

Quote Originally Posted by wizbang 13 View Post
    this binder was my daily for 20 years

I do not miss it one teeny tiny bit

I had a '52 International. Other than being easy to work on, nothing much good to say about it. And even that is a left-handed compliment.

I wish I'd had both the space and the foresight to buy and store a few of these when they were available for peanuts.

^ Likewise, but none of them would have minilites. I don't like the look of those wheels anyway, but they look especially awful on the pickups and vans with their body-coloured grills.
    'When I leave I don't know what I'm hoping to find. When I leave I don't know what I'm leaving behind...'

Only pickup I've ever owned looked a lot like this, only rustier.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan