Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 23

Thread: The American School System!

Default Re: The American School System!

Quote Originally Posted by Too Little Time View Post
    Actually the first mention was

I offered several reasons why that need not be true. Then you made comments about those reasons. I thought we were discussing the truth of Ian's statement.
    We were. But Ian's statement was about Texas. As were your responses.

I am not clear on what your real issue is and I am trying to find it.
    No "issue" at all. I just think you're wrong about the amount of influence Texas has over the textbook publishing industry--to the detriment of us all.

I think you miss the point of teaching high school students. They are not going to do critical examination of anything. For the most part they want to be elsewhere.
    You do know I've been teaching high school since 2003, right?

In that time, I've seen lots of students engage pretty deeply in critical examinations of lots of things, both in academic areas and on their own (as in, questioning rules and procedures they are expected to comply with). I've helped them do it better. I'd say overall they are far more capable of critical thinking--and far more willing to engage in it--than most adults.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Students are doing that themselves these days. I got thrown out of classes for questioning orthodoxy and authority. These day in good schools it is encouraged.

Quote Originally Posted by WI-Tom View Post
    You do know I've been teaching high school since 2003, right? Tom
    Wait, are you daring to suggest that da yoot are not totally slacking off when not actively engaged in leading us to perdition ??
    Last edited by sandtown; 09-21-2022 at 01:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    Wait, are you daring to suggest that da yoot are not totally slacking off when not actively engaged in leading us to perdition ??

I like "da yoot" for sure. Some adults, too. But virtually all of "da yoot."

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

I like "da yoot" for sure. Some adults, too. But virtually all of "da yoot." Tom
    I like them all too - even the ones I had to flunk.

Quote Originally Posted by sandtown View Post
    I like them all too - even the ones I had to flunk.
    Or sometimes, especially the ones who flunked. Or almost flunked. Or dropped out.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

I like "da yoot" for sure. Some adults, too. But virtually all of "da yoot."

Tom
    There you go again, mangling my language. There is a "h" at the end, it is der yoof, yoof. Sheesh!
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

Quote Originally Posted by Peerie Maa View Post
    There you go again, mangling my language. There is a "h" at the end, it is der yoof, yoof. Sheesh!
    Well, I was quoting sandtown, not you. But on the "divided by a common language" issue, I have begun awarding my students points for catching my slip-ups where I use U.S. spellings instead of British. Today they caught "gray" and "cookies" instead of "grey" and "biscuits." I'll get there!

They completely missed the fact that the dialogue samples we studied used the U.S. double quotation marks instead of the British single quotes. When I pointed it out, they tried to tell me I was wrong about that. But I wasn't.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Good motivational tool. Well done.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Quote Originally Posted by George Jung View Post
    Good motivational tool. Well done.
    Yep. Students love the chance to prove the teacher wrong, especially when the teacher doesn't get mad at them when they do. Probably my favorite part of teaching is when students question me--they're often surprised at first that I encourage it.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

We were. But Ian's statement was about Texas. As were your responses.

No "issue" at all. I just think you're wrong about the amount of influence Texas has over the textbook publishing industry--to the detriment of us all.
    Ian's statement was about racist lies. I pointed out options other than using Texas text books. I would have used similar arguments had Ian been unhappy with some other option. So my responses had nothing to do with Texas.

Yet, you have not said how that influence is detrimental. It is unclear process of selecting a textbook would provide a textbook that you thought was not detrimental.
    You do know I've been teaching high school since 2003, right?

In that time, I've seen lots of students engage pretty deeply in critical examinations of lots of things, both in academic areas and on their own (as in, questioning rules and procedures they are expected to comply with). I've helped them do it better. I'd say overall they are far more capable of critical thinking--and far more willing to engage in it--than most adults.
    I did a Google search.

https://www.ecampusnews.com/2019/01/...nking%20skills.
    Respondents tend to rate their own critical thinking skills relatively high, with just 12 percent rating critical thinking as their weakest skill. But only 25 percent of those surveyed say their peer and colleagues have strong critical thinking skills.
    If this survey of college students is accurate, you may overestimate high school students. And thus the wisdom of allowing them to make choices.

I am trying to not remember the comment: Those who can't teach.
    Life is complex.

If this survey of college students is accurate, you may overestimate high school students. And thus the wisdom of allowing them to make choices.

Uh-huh. Get back to me after five years or so as a teacher and tell me what you think about teaching when you've shaken off at least a little bit of your ignorance. If you make it that long. Over half of the people who try to become teachers quit by their fifth year in the job.

Tom
    Ponoszenie konsekwencji!

www.tompamperin.com

Since you have trouble writing complete sentences, maybe you are overestimating your own self.

Or sometimes, especially the ones who flunked. Or almost flunked. Or dropped out. Tom
    OK, I admit that there was one young guy of whom I was not very fond. He was a fascist and arrogant about it to boot.

But several years later when he was murdered in a drug deal gone bad, I did feel bad about it.

It was his own 'tude that did him in.

Can your students figure out what a "'tude" is in gringo-speak ??

We need to completely change the system! That's the only way to make an impact. Even now I have already found writing samples, I use https://gradesfixer.com/ for this. It shouldn't be like that, it's just very hard to learn somehow. Moreover, nothing has been changed for a very long time and everything is moving into the electronic sphere.
    Last edited by portiaheltsleynlt81; 10-31-2022 at 08:05 AM.