Thread: Bluejacket 24 Questions...

Default Bluejacket 24 Questions...

First post greetings!

I've long planned to build a boat (or two) when I retire, and since that date is now less than a year away, the planning process is ramping up.

I've spent hours reading threads here and elsewhere, and based on my SOR (including size of shop, size of storage area, size of tow vehicle, target use, visual aesthetics, construction technique, etc.), Tom Lathrop's Bluejacket 24 seems to check the most boxes. (Others under consideration include the Devlin Surf Scoter 22, Tolman Jumbo, Redwing 24, Bluejacket 25.5, and a few others).

Somewhere along the line, a light went on when a thread discussed the value of designing to the 80% solution, rather than the 100% solution (an impossible task), and just learning to live with the occasional challenges on the margin. However, that last 20% does bring up some questions.

1. Since the BJ24 is designed for two people, how easy is it to accommodate a few guests on a day trip? Are the stern seats suitable for use underway in good weather? Or would guests be relegated to the berth?
    2. Since the BJ24 does not have a dinette, what's the customary solution for eating, chatting, playing games, etc? Tom's website mentions the installation of a table that can be placed in different locations, but I haven't seen anything like that in drawings or photos. (I know that the BJ25.5 includes a dinette).
    3. While the vast majority of my use will be in the Puget Sound, I hope to gradually expand my range to the Gulf Islands, and eventually make it through the Inside Passage to SE Alaska. Trips like this would be planned for good weather, with the ability to sit out unexpected bad weather in harbor, so I'm not concerned about any BJ24 limitations (real or imagined) with regards to rough water. But I am a bit concerned with limitations in terms of storage (extra clothing, foul weather gear, food and water, etc.), as well as ability to heat the cabin (solution might include a Dickenson or Wallas stove, or Esper-type heater).

Suggestions or comments appreciated! Looking to join the completed boat club in a few years!

Russ
    Poulsbo, Washington, USA

PS: For context, I should probably mention that I have a 28 foot fiberglas sailboat (Spirit 28) that I keep in a slip. I love it, but between slow speed and inability to trailer, my range is very limited, at least without commitments of weeks or months.

Default Re: Bluejacket 24 Questions...

Hi, welcome to the forum.
    I assume "for two people" means two bunks forward for sleeping, although the drawings are a bit short on seating as well.

She looks big enough for 4 to 6 on a day trip, although the rear bulkhead on the cabin is a bit antisocial. Folding chairs in the cockpit are one solution.

It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

By “designed for two”, I was primarily referring to the two seats in the pilothouse (“crew seat” and “helm seat”) on the drawing. In the text, Tom refers to sitting room in the berth, which would seem to imply the use of that space for dining or socializing with the addition of some sort of table, or passengers under way.

what's wrong with the Bluejacket 27, almost the same GPH, still Trailor able, marginally better in open water [due to added length], timeless design, and can accommodate a few more guests. I'm in the middle of building the Bluejacket 28 and hope to be done within the next 2 years. I boat on the Hudson River and only went out with 2' seas or less which can be a handfull in a cabin cruiser. Just sold my 25' cabin cruiser and can't wait to get the 28 on the water. Good luck finding the right boat for your needs...

My wife and I would spend two-week vacations with two large dogs on a C-Dory 22. It's all about how you organize things which can take some trial and error.
    We have camped with another adult and two small grandkids + the dogs. Only for three days, though it felt like more...

The C-Brats forum has lots of great ideas and albums which are a wealth of ideas to make the boat livable and manage clutter.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Russ, have you ever built a boat before?
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

Sorry for delayed response -- I haven't yet figured out how to turn on notifications.

I'm actually having second thoughts about building a boat like this, for a couple reasons. I didn't mention it earlier, but I have a 28 foot sailboat that I keep in the water. Part of my rationale for building a power cruiser was to be able to then sell the sailboat, and be able to "moor my boat in my garage", for all the usual reasons. But I eventually realized that a boat within my building, storage, and towing constraints is going to be a significant downgrade in amenities. So my revised plan is to keep the sailboat and build something smaller instead -- perhaps a runabout like a Candlefish 16 -- something to complement the sailboat, rather than replace it. I'm sure this would be a better choice as a first build as well.

Check your pm’s, Russ. I have a quick and easy solution for you.