Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: the most famous sailing photograph

Default Re: the most famous sailing photograph

fantastic photo
    helps to understand your personal desireto get the damn chute up whenever possible
    she is kicking ass there

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post

Here is a Beeston of my boat Lively Lady.

Attachment 119373
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    I advise you not to visit the British National Maritime Museum or the “Cutty Sark”. It’s worse.
    Absolutely true,I first saw both in the early 1980's and again when they held the wooden boat show there.Last time I went was in 2017 and it was unbelievable how little was on display.I suppose opening another outpost in the far from central Falmouth had some part to play in the dilution of the quality of the exhibits,but can hardly account for such a monumental drop in quality and quality.Much the same applied to the Cutty Sarkand sadly the formerly excellent range of marine related shops in the area had .suffered from the same effect.

To return to sailing photography,this has to be a classic and its from Eileen Ramsay.

Fireball?

Much of the world changes, and it's not always progress.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by lupussonic View Post
    Fireball?
    Rodney Patisson and Iain MacDonald-Smith after winning an Olympic gold medal in the Flying Dutchman with a perfect score-in spite of being disqualified from the first race of the regatta.They were superstars and often had a camera pointed at them.

So many great photos but I suspect the most famous sailing photo might be Australia II winning the America's Cup. Or maybe Gypsy Moth IV or Suhaili?
    Last edited by RFNK; 09-16-2022 at 04:57 PM.
    Rick

Lean and nosey like a ferret

A local favorite was from the first Race to Alaska: Hobie 33 in Johnstone Strait:

Hobie 33 Johnstone Strait.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    So many great photos but I suspect the most famous sailing photo might be Australia II winning the America's Cup. Or maybe Gypsy Moth IV or Suhaili?
    lol

the photo of conners returning to the dock in shame is the more famous one

There was a photograph of Starlight express jumping off a wave in a Sydney Hobart that became pretty famous downunder. Dramatic , it captured many imaginations. Similar angle to Hugh's shot. Cant find anything to show.
    I agree about the original post, but I can't help but think many if not most have forgotten.
    Not me , I have a couple of his books,( gets up to go look)
    Last edited by John B; 09-16-2022 at 10:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    lol

the photo of conners returning to the dock in shame is the more famous one
    Maybe there that would be famous, of course, but not so much elsewhere. I think for a sailing photo to actually be "most famous" it would have to have been on the front page around much of the world. I just can't think of any single sailing event that achieved that other than the ones I mentioned. Maybe the '98 Hobart race, that Fastnet race, maybe another AC event?

I reckon some of the shots above are some of the greatest but I just don't think they're quite so famous.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    further mystic rant

half of the historic vessels that i saw afloat at docks just ten years are now on the hard and covered and in-accessible

two notable yachts (ngh's aida and lfh's araminta) that were part of their collection have been sold to private interests and are no longer even at the museum much less available for day sails as they were for many years

mystic has dropped their liability insurance and failed to hire professional captains - many of whom in the past were retired volunteers - thus boats like the breck marshall and the navy launches are permanently tied to the dock instead of giving half hour harbor tours

the sabino, the effing sabino, a noted coal burning steam boat, is being converted to electric and her boiler and triple expansion engine are being removed - wteverlastingf???

restoration work still goes on in the shops but access to the shops by the public has been curtailed

there is no art available for viewing anywhere that i could find

the cafeteria sucks ass
    Sounds like museums here too. Just an ad hoc pile of stuff and a big gift shop full of plastic rubbish.
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by RFNK View Post
    Maybe there that would be famous, of course, but not so much elsewhere. I think for a sailing photo to actually be "most famous" it would have to have been on the front page around much of the world. I just can't think of any single sailing event that achieved that other than the ones I mentioned. Maybe the '98 Hobart race, that Fastnet race, maybe another AC event?

I reckon some of the shots above are some of the greatest but I just don't think they're quite so famous.
    maiden boat race - Bing images

Famous and best may be different things. There are many great photos that have been taken
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

a friend from canada asserts this to be the most famous sailing photograph

m.jpg

This was famous in its day:

Shamrock II dismasted during trials with King Edward VII on board. He checked that nobody was hurt, then pulled out a cigar and lit it.

IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT