Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Trafficing in Illegal Immigrants

Default Re: Trafficing in Illegal Immigrants

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    Nobody on the WBF has ever advocated for 'open borders', AFAIK.
    to be fair, i have on numerous occasions lamented the border restrictions put in place post 9/11 for travel to and from canada

nexus has made things better
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by johnw View Post
    Just to be clear, these folks were not immediately deported because they are applying for asylum. Personally, I'm pretty sure if I lived in Venezuela, I'd be in trouble with the government there. So, what's the message here? Does DeSatan, I mean DeSantis, think people from Venezuela should just stay there and suffer under the dictatorship? Does this mean he approves of the Venezuelan regime? Renard, do you think Venezuelan dissidents should not be allowed to seek asylum in the Land of the Free?
    Sure they should, and the land of the free includes Martha’s Vineyard.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    ^
    So you approve?
    Yep.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wilson View Post
    This is, not to lean on it too hard, utter and complete bullsh!t. Nobody on the WBF has ever advocated for 'open borders', AFAIK.
    That is probably true, but what would you call the current state of our boarder?

Throughout April, Customs and Border Protection has encountered an average of just under 6,000 people daily at the southern border, according to a Department of Homeland Security official, which is in line with the March average of around 5,560 people daily.
    https://www.cnn.com/2021/05/03/polit...ril/index.html

If nearly 6000 people cross the boarder daily that are not supposed to cross the boarder it seems to be effectively, if not legally, an open boarder.

There is relatively little difference between making it legal for 6,000 to enter every day and it being illegal but allowing them to enter the country anyway. The boarder states have encountered huge burdens because of that, and until they started shipping them out of the state it didn't seem like a big deal for the non-boarder states.
    Last edited by Boatbum; 09-16-2022 at 11:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    That is probably true, but what would you call the current state of our boarder?

If nearly 6000 people cross the boarder daily that are not supposed to cross the boarder it seems to be effectively, if not legally, an open boarder.

There is relatively little difference between making it legal for 6,000 to enter every day and it being illegal but allowing them to enter the country anyway. The boarder states have encountered huge burdens because of that, and until they started shipping them out of the state it didn't seem like a big deal for the non-boarder states.
    You do realize, Trump didn't do anything about stopping illegal immigration. He cut down on the number of immigrants mainly by keeping asylum seekers from crossing the border. Now there is a big backlog of asylum seekers.

The other problem with your post is that your source does not even talk about people who "cross the boarder daily that are not supposed to cross the boarder." It says how many people the Border Patrol "encountered." If they were allowed across the border by the Border Patrol, either they evaded the officers' best efforts to catch them, or they were legally allowed to enter the country. In fact, your source shows the opposite of what you claim it does. If we had open borders, there would be no border patrol to encounter these 6,000 people.

Hehehe... you're pretty pathetic, Reynard! Why am I not surprised you'd be carrying water for the likes of DeSatan and Abbot (without Costello)?

Without a doubt a political stunt - both those boys wanna be 'the Prez' next go-round. AFA 'did they break any laws?' - maybe, and esp., one of human decency - using these folks as political pawns. But those who 'care', don't matter to their ambitions, or their base (and reynard!) . I would imagine they would love it, were President Biden to make a stink about this - they're looking for controversy, and free advertising. Ignore the bastids.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

Nice story in the Times today - President Biden has tried to straighten out the mess that trump/repubs have made of immigration - working with a broad coalition of experts (including true Republicans) - but - and I know, it's a surprise - the Republicans have blocked this, including with their activist trump appointed judges. They want the conflict; they do not want this problem meaningfully addressed. If they did - what would they yip about?
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

In his (reynards) defense - he IS living in South Carolina, heart of the Confederacy. He's steeped in that pickle juice. Really didn't have a chance.

6000 people per day compared to what? I'm sure all country's borders are porous to some degree.

The other question is how many are crossing the border illegally away from "legal crossings", and how many are arriving at border crossings as asylum seekers.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Borders are sooo dark ages. These people are an enormous opportunity. Surely most of them could pass a background check to even work inside TSA secured areas. With a bit of creativity the housing and language barriers can be worked around
    __________________________________________________ ________________________

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Sure they should, and the land of the free includes Martha’s Vineyard.

Just to be clear on this, DeSantis spent Florida tax money to send a crew to Texas to recruit Venezuelan asylum speakers to get on an airplane by promising them they would be flown to Boston, where they would have housing, jobs, and English lessons already set up for them, when DeSantis had not arranged for any of this and did not even fly them to Boston.

None of this seems amiss to you? Personally, I have questions. Were there no asylum seekers in Florida suitable for this stunt? Do Florida voters want their money spent on shipping people from Texas to Martha's Vineyard? Wouldn't it be better to spend the money on something that would help Florida? Are you fine with asylum seekers being lied to in order to manufacture a stunt to own the libs? Why did DeSantis think it was okay to raise these people's hopes when he had made no effort to keep the promises his people made?

Yikes!

The "Sanctuary States" have spoken, and they have changed their minds.

Go figure.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

BS. Purely a publicity stunt by more tinpot governors.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianW View Post
    Yikes!

Go figure.
    How so? The people that DeSantis sent from Texas to Martha's Vineyard without notice to the places they were sent were fed, housed, and provided with what they needed.

The Republican Governor of Massachusetts sent in the National Guard to aid with the voluntary movement of these people to a joint base on Cape Cod where they can be offered further assistance. (https://www.capecodtimes.com/story/n...d/10383220002/)

So please, if you think that the "Sanctuary States" have changed their mind, think again. Massachusetts has been welcoming refugees and immigrants since 1620 and still does. There have been Irish, Italian, Polish, German, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, Croatian, various African and Middle-eastern, Ukrainian - among others over time -, and now Venezuelan refugees in Massachusetts. We are a nation of immigrants - some people recognize that fact.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

deSantis set the migrants up for violating other laws by listing their addresses as various homeless shelters around the country after plopping them in Martha’s Vineyard. If that address was Texas , Florida or wherever and they had to appear at the nearest immigration office in the following days they would be in violation if they didn’t appear.

Scum, deSantis is building on Trumpism.

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    How so? The people that DeSantis sent from Texas to Martha's Vineyard without notice to the places they were sent were fed, housed, and provided with what they needed.

The Republican Governor of Massachusetts sent in the National Guard to aid with the voluntary movement of these people to a joint base on Cape Cod where they can be offered further assistance. (https://www.capecodtimes.com/story/n...d/10383220002/)

So please, if you think that the "Sanctuary States" have changed their mind, think again. Massachusetts has been welcoming refugees and immigrants since 1620 and still does. There have been Irish, Italian, Polish, German, Vietnamese, Cambodian, Laotian, Croatian, various African and Middle-eastern, Ukrainian - among others over time -, and now Venezuelan refugees in Massachusetts. We are a nation of immigrants - some people recognize that fact.
    How so? stickin’ it to the libs and them foreigners.

Don’t we need people right now to fill entry level jobs?

Sending them to different parts of the country might not be such a bad idea, once they have their paperwork in order.

You know what is a bad idea: using these people as political pawns.

Quote Originally Posted by LeeG View Post
    How so? stickin’ it to the libs and them foreigners.
    Well, I'm sorry, Lee - I must either be stupid or not a Faux News watcher - I don't see the stickin' it to the libs angle.

Here's what I do see, however.

I see a very powerful man who abused his position to cause problems for some of the most vulnerable people who are trying to build a better life for their families. From what I have read, these Venezuelan people are trying to escape from a horrific political and economic situation.
    I see a group of people upon whom a challenge was thrust who handled it with grace and care.
    I also see a Governor who knows so little of history, that he didn't understand that the place he sent those people has a long link to religion where those people _are_ Christians who care for their fellows.
    I also see this as a significant self-own on the part of DeSatan... err... DeSantis and his ilk who think they would make political hay from this.

But, hey, what do I know?
    -William A. Ward

Well, I'm sorry, Lee - I must either be stupid or not a Faux News watcher - I don't see the stickin' it to the libs angle.

Here's what I do see, however.

I see a very powerful man who abused his position to cause problems for some of the most vulnerable people who are trying to build a better life for their families. From what I have read, these Venezuelan people are trying to escape from a horrific political and economic situation.
    I see a group of people upon whom a challenge was thrust who handled it with grace and care.
    I also see a Governor who knows so little of history, that he didn't understand that the place he sent those people has a long link to religion where those people _are_ Christians who care for their fellows.
    I also see this as a significant self-own on the part of DeSatan... err... DeSantis and his ilk who think they would make political hay from this.

But, hey, what do I know?
    You’re going too far into objective reality. Just go with the set up. “DeSantis sent the illegals to Martha’s Vineyard, that’ll show them” That’s it. That’s all of it on a bumper sticker. He stuck it to the aliens and the rich liberals. Pull the paper off the back and out it on the bumper. Hit return and the meme is catapulted. It’s auto gas lighting. Sure in reality DeSantis stuck it to Florida tax payers, the migrants and the people tasked with immigration but that doesn’t matter to folks who want to impose cruelty on others.

The thing that appalls me is that DeSantis and Florida wasted $12,500 that could have made a difference in those people’s lives, but instead was used for petty sound bites.
    -William A. Ward

The thing that appalls me is that DeSantis and Florida wasted $12,500 that could have made a difference in those people’s lives, but instead was used for petty sound bites.
    You're 100% correct, except that you're feeding the trolls and they love your displeasure. They're sharing your reply's in between hits on the meth pipe having a nice hardy laugh about how they owned the libs. Whaaaaaaa, the brown man works harder than me . . . whaaaaaaaaaa.
    Last edited by McMike; 09-16-2022 at 05:39 PM.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Yikes!

Go figure.
    That's what was supposed to happen, but it didn't. You'd know that if you ever got outside the right-wing bubble.

Quote Originally Posted by McMike View Post
    You're 100% correct, except that you're feeding the trolls and they love your displeasure. They're sharing your reply's in between hits on the meth pipe having a nice hardy laugh about how they owned the libs. Whaaaaaaa, the brown man works harder than me . . . whaaaaaaaaaa.
    Meh. If anything they’re doing a marvelous self-own.
    -William A. Ward

When's the last time the Boston City Counsel sent $12,500 to Florida to help that group? Maybe they will now?
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”― Mark Twain,

When's the last time the Boston City Counsel sent $12,500 to Florida to help that group? Maybe they will now?
    Florida? Those asylum seekers came from Texas. Florida just used them. And how much did this stunt cost? I'm guessing a lot more than $12,500, which could have been spent to help people who were actually in Florida.

And just where does Boston come into the picture? The Venezuelans were transported from Texas to Martha's Vineyard.

If they actually spent the $12M on this stunt, where did the money actually go? Certainly airline tickets for 50 people to go from Texas to Massachusetts couldn't have been more than $50,000.

Also, think about what these 50 people could have done with a portion of that $12M if it was spent for their benefit, and not for a political stunt.
    Best info I've found so far is that Florida spent $610,000 on flying this batch of 50. Chartered an Oregon firm to do it. That would leave a large chunk of the $12m for more stunts.

Whether DeSantis broke federal law in doing so is still an open question. My first impression is: yes. Will anyone press the issue? Remains to be seen, I guess.
    David G
    Harbor Woodworks
    https://www.facebook.com/HarborWoodworks/

"It was a Sunday morning and Goddard gave thanks that there were still places where one could worship in temples not made by human hands." -- L. F. Herreshoff (The Compleat Cruiser)

Quote Originally Posted by David G View Post
    Best info I've found so far is that Florida spent $610,000 on flying this batch of 50. Chartered an Oregon firm to do it. That would leave a large chunk of the $12m for more stunts.

Whether DeSantis broke federal law in doing so is still an open question. My first impression is: yes. Will anyone press the issue? Remains to be seen, I guess.
    I'm trying to think of this as a word problem. Ron spent $600,000 to get his agents to go to Texas, lie to 50 Venezuelans, telling them they would be flown to Boston where they would get jobs, expedited paperwork, English lessons, and housing. Instead, they were flown from Texas to Martha's Vineyard, with no arrangements being made to keep the promises made to them.

Brian says this means Boston should send $12,500 to Florida. This math doesn't add up for me. Brian, please show your work.

Every frickin’ year Brian.

The State of Massachusetts is a net contributor to Federal budget while Florida is a net “taker” of Federal money.

In 2018, Massachusetts sent $9B more to the federal government than it received. Florida, on the other hand was the third highest out of 50 states for taking money from the Federal government. Florida received $50B more than they contributed. Please tell me why Massachusetts should be sending more to Florida? Florida seems to be mis-managing money they already get on political stunts to send people from Texas to Massachusetts.

Also, FYI - why are you even dragging Boston into this when DeSantis sent these people to Edgartown on Martha’s Vineyard, an island off Cape Cod?

If you’re concerned about our contributions to the budget, perhaps ask our Republican Governor?
    Last edited by Canoez; 09-17-2022 at 07:25 AM.
    -William A. Ward

One interesting thing: had those asylum seekers been landed in Martha’s Vineyard at the start of the tourist season, there would have been plenty of jobs for them (albeit, housing would have been a problem). MV is always short of workers when the crowds arrive.
    "Reason and facts are sacrificed to opinion and myth. Demonstrable falsehoods are circulated and recycled as fact. Narrow minded opinion refuses to be subjected to thought and analysis. Too many now subject events to a prefabricated set of interpretations, usually provided by a biased media source. The myth is more comfortable than the often difficult search for truth."

I wonder how many of the Uber wealthy homeowners in Martha’s Vineyard employ illegal immigrants to maintain their yards, paint their white picket fences and clean their McMansions.
    You that are decrying these flights and bus rides also want open borders as long as those immigrants remain in the border states. Hypocritical and one of the most blatant examples of NIMBY I’ve seen.
    Am I the only one who remembers Trump hired illegals at his golf clubs?
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

I think our border is a problem. Trump made it a HUGE problem, and cleaning up the mess he made is going to take time. Sadly, Americans seem an impatient lot.

There are children that were separated from their families, and have not yet been returned, due to lack of record keeping it seems.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Every frickin’ year Brian.

The State of Massachusetts is a net contributor to Federal budget while Florida is a net “taker” of Federal money.

In 2018, Massachusetts sent $9B more to the federal government than it received. Florida, on the other hand was the third highest out of 50 states for taking money from the Federal government. Florida received $50B more than they contributed. Please tell me why Massachusetts should be sending more to Florida? Florida seems to be mis-managing money they already get on political stunts to send people from Texas to Massachusetts.

Also, FYI - why are you even dragging Boston into this when DeSantis sent these people to Edgartown on Martha’s Vineyard, an island off Cape Cod?

If you’re concerned about our contributions to the budget, perhaps ask our Republican Governor?
    I wonder if you'll get a reply for this? Probably not.
    In the US this perverted idea of “blood and soil” over “constitutional principles” is the most radical and anti-democratic and anti-Conservative idea I have heard in my lifetime.

~C. Ross

Governor of Illinois commenting on what Abbot and deSantis have done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjHl4sdmvRA

I wonder how many of the Uber wealthy homeowners in Martha’s Vineyard employ illegal immigrants to maintain their yards, paint their white picket fences and clean their McMansions.
    You that are decrying these flights and bus rides also want open borders as long as those immigrants remain in the border states. Hypocritical and one of the most blatant examples of NIMBY I’ve seen.
    [citation required] bitches.