Thread: How much paint to buy?

Default How much paint to buy?

It's been many, many years since I painted a boat, but I will be soon. I'll have to order paint, as I'm planning to use Kirby. The boat in question is a Peregrine 18, a light rowboat in glued plywood lapstrake. I used about 3-1/2 sheets of plywood, which translates to 115-120 square feet of area. I'm going to use a sealer first, then 2 coats of color. At the price of paint these days, I hate to buy more than I need, but the shipping is expensive should I come up short. The inside of the boat will be a different color, so I have to figure out how much of each. Any guidance?

Default Re: How much paint to buy?

Hey Mush, You could apply the primer first and see how much you use before ordering the Kirby’s.
    both products should have sq ft estimates.

So much depends on painter's ability and weather. Boatyard pros easily hit Kirby's coverage claims, thinning as temperature and humidity dictate. Amateurs are often 50% to 100% over, and end up with curing problems, sagging, and all that. Based on my amateur approach, rolling with my left hand and tipping with the right, for the inside, buy a can combination that gets you near 50% over. For the outside, 25%.

With Kirby's on new wood (dimensional, not ply) I've had great experience using the paint 50/50 with thinner as the sealer coat. For actual painting, Kirby's Brushing Liquid works better for me than Penatrol and such.

G'luck

Buy a quart of each. If you want to be sure to have the same color for the next time you paint... get two quarts. The only other real alternative is to buy gallon sized containers. And that quantity is, obviously to me, way too much.

Jeff

I couldn't find any coverage info on the Kirby site, but looking at Pettit, a quart will cover 100 square feet in white, 200 square feet for colors. The interior will be off-white of some sort, so 100 sq ft is cutting it fine, even with two quarts (two coats). The problem with starting out with a quart of each is that if I need more, the shipping on a quart is $17, where if I spend $125 (no problem), shipping is free. Thus the dilemma. First, I need to figure out how much, and what type of sealer or primer.

You are going to want paint on hand for touchups. Just something to keep in mind.

K
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

A quart is $48. A gallon is $118. You'll likely need more than a quart, so _minimum_ $96 per color, so seems like you might as well just spend the extra ~$40 and get a gallon of each. As mentioned above, you can thin it to use for initial coats. Or if you are using epoxy, that serves as primer as well most of the time (unless Kirby disagrees).
    Daniel

Building a Campion Apple 16.