Thread: Tape nightmare

Default Tape nightmare

Apparently I screwed up with the masking tape, not sure if it’s the heat or what but this stuff is beyond sticky. A ten minute job appears to be multiple hours now scraping tape off. Any tips on how to remove this that won’t affect varnish?

Default Re: Tape nightmare

Quote Originally Posted by skerry View Post
    Apparently I screwed up with the masking tape, not sure if it’s the heat or what but this stuff is beyond sticky. A ten minute job appears to be multiple hours now scraping tape off. Any tips on how to remove this that won’t affect varnish?
    WD-40? Test a small area first.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

3M makes a solvent sold as 'adhesive remover', dab a bit on to soak the paper, it softens the glue. Its still a mess, as the glue turns into something like sticky snot, sorry! Usually the culprit is leaving the tape too long, which depends on which tape you're using, some last better than others (3M for instance, makes many distinct tapes for specific uses.) I'll look and see if I can find the exact stuff, will edit to add if I do.
    Brian

Pull that tape the moment you're done painting or varnishing to the line. I've learned this lesson several times, and will probably again.

You might try some denatured alcohol to loosen up the tape and remove the adhesive. Or, even try a little bit of soap and water to get the tape backing to soften and slough off, and then chase the adhesive with the denatured alcohol.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Try a gentle warming with a hair dryer or heat gun.

Last edited by Chris Woodward; 09-14-2022 at 08:49 PM.

VMP Naptha has long been my go-to solvent for removing tape residue. It also works well on other contaminants but check it first on a small spot. The natpha will not affect your varnish or dry oil based paint. The downside is it has an odor and you'll want to keep it off of your skin. Goo Gone will also work. I had to use it on project that had a lot of tape residue. This was indoors in the winter so I didn't want to breath the naptha fumes for a week. Goo Gone to the rescue. It works slower but it works.

Jeff

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

and now you know....buy the 'spensive tape.

or maybe just cut in with a brush ?? does anyone do that anymore ?

I like that this is a "Tape nightmare." Very dramatic. Good thread title.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by skerry View Post
    Try a hair dryer. It will soften the glue. Make sure you don't have the heat set so hi that it damages the paint.

Haha thanks all. I’m refreshed today and less dramatic. I took two days off work so I felt pretty bad yesterday realizing what I would be doing. I’ve got most of it off with diligent scraping and goo gone worked well for the sticky stuff. I just taped up to paint the top of the cabin and plan to remove it immediately after this time

Quote Originally Posted by coelcanth View Post
    or maybe just cut in with a brush ?? does anyone do that anymore ?
    Sometimes I do, depending on where and what I'm painting. Some say it looks better. I find using a good brush helps as does practice.

Glad you (Skerry) got the sticky tape mess cleaned up.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

I'm a little late to this thread but had the same experience because I was ill for a while and left masking tape over varnish for nearly 2 months. I soaked the tape with Goo Gone and was able to remove the paper but not the sticky residue. More Goo Gone followed by mineral spirits left everything clean. I've since completed 10 coats of varnish with increasing grits (up to 2000) between coats. It's not perfect but I think I've reached good enough.

That sounds like a damn good varnish job. Luckily I’m repainting the deck and cockpit so I’ve been diligent about removing the mess.

Don’t worry the tape came off right after

Great job. Sadly, I'm probably the world's worst painter. Mine is all great from 10 feet or more!

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Morford View Post
    Great job. Sadly, I'm probably the world's worst painter. Mine is all great from 10 feet or more!
    Well you can look at the wooden handle above to see where my taping failed lol. There's mistakes all over but I don't have the time to do a precise job worthy of award. Just focus on the non border with wood areas and it looks nice though! I just roll it on and tip it and it looks pretty shiny. You'll find drips if you really look.

seems like I remember 3M Fine Line could be left on for days. Went around curves too.
    =~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~=~

When we remember we are all mad, the mysteries disappear and life stands explained.

Mark Twain

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

3M fine line is amazing stuff ,it functions as advertized
    3M used to make a silver "crepe" paperish tape called " silver weather resistant"tape. 20 years ago it was 20 bux a roll.wish it still existed

Ohhhh thanks for recommendation I’ll give that a try

Since I discovered Frog Tape I've largely given up using the blue stuff. I suspect it's not of the caliber of Fine Line, but Frog Tape is head and shoulders better than any of the blue tape I've used. It is lower tack but still makes a tight, paint resistant seal at its edge. And it removes with little residue.

Jeff

3M Delicate Surfaces tape (light blue) if you are masking a fresh surface or otherwise concerned about peeling of the masked surface. It handles well and can deal with some curvature. 3M Painters Tape (darker blue) is a little more likely to pull the undersurface - but not generally if the surface is well cured and in good shape. It's a little less expensive than Delicate Surfaces. FineLine is my product of choice for masking significant cures ... for general masking it is pricey and more likely to peel up a fresh or marginal undersurface. Most of my masking is done with Delicate Surfaces.

Never made the move to Frog Tape. I prevent bleeding by very lightly sanding along the tape line, something like #320. The dust seals the tape edge. You are preparing the surface in any case. Tack off, no bleeding.

A agree for one coat, paint and remove the tape, let the edge settle down. For multiple coats I may leave the tape in place, but never for more than a couple or few days.

Some years ago the guy with the boat next to mine masked it all off & painted it, It was really hot weather & i suggested he take the tape off that day.
    He didnt & came back 3 weeks later. It took him about 3 days to remove it all & i remember he resorted to acetone & unleaded petrol to try & shift it.
    I didnt have to say a word!