Thread: As a "nonworking Royal" Harry isn't wearing a uniform

Default As a "nonworking Royal" Harry isn't wearing a uniform

My personal opinion is that somewhere along the line, though not at a high-level ceremony for the queen, he ought to show up in his well-worn battle fatigues. After all, he served ten years, and a lot of that in Afghanistan.

Default Re: As a "nonworking Royal" Harry isn't wearing a uniform

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    My personal opinion is that somewhere along the line, though not at a high-level ceremony for the queen, he ought to show up in his well-worn battle fatigues. After all, he served ten years, and a lot of that in Afghanistan.
    Sort off, but his antics since he 'served' have taken the gloss of what to wear at the recent events.

Would not he done the dress uniform, in any event, were he to wear military garb?
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

I believe the Queen withdrew his privileges as 'Honorary Colonel' of a regiment, as she did Andrew's.

Quote Originally Posted by Nicholas Scheuer View Post
    However, Harry did wear his gongs.
    The Duke of Sussex has been awarded the KCVO Star, representing the Royal Victorian Order, which recognises distinguished personal service to the monarch of the Commonwealth.

In 2008 he received the Operational Service Medal for Afghanistan, having been on two tours there while serving in the Army.
    He also has all of the Queen’s Jubilee medals.
    https://inews.co.uk/news/medals-roya...edward-1856232
    It really is quite difficult to build an ugly wooden boat.

The power of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web
    The weakness of the web: Anyone can post anything on the web.

meanwhile prince andrew stripped of his uniform by the military for toeing too close to the line of being a rapist mofo has been allowed a dispensation by the king to wear the uniform during the queen's funeral
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

I would think that English veterans who served in combat would find the royal uniforms offensive. Harry seems like the exception as he really served. Did Charles earn his uniform in the same way that commoners do? Was the life of the next king ever placed in jeopardy?
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    I would think that English veterans who served in combat would find the royal uniforms offensive. Harry seems like the exception as he really served. Did Charles earn his uniform in the same way that commoners do? Was the life of the next king ever placed in jeopardy?
    Charles, as well as William, flew helicopters for the military but not in wartime. Still, more dangerous than sitting around the palace.
    I was born on a wooden boat that I built myself.
    Skiing is the next best thing to having wings.

They all hold commanding ranks in the various forces. Admiral, Colonel in Chief, Air Chief Marshal. So veterans will see them as their commanding officers.
    Harry and Andrew now do not, although they both saw active service at war. The Princess Royal is the only one that has not served in any unit. Edward falls between two stools, he started training with the Marines, but dropped out.
    We were not at war when Charles III was in the 845 Naval Air Squadron.

Thanks Rich. Thanks Nick. So their ranks are fully earned? That's more significant than I thought.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

It's illegal to wear military uniform in the UK if you are not in the military or have been granted permission to do so by the King..(The Uniforms Act 1894) (Though if you got married in uniform soon after service they'd turn a blind eye..)

Since Andrew and Harry have had their Honorary ranks removed, that would only leave their junior officer ranks they had while serving, for which they don't have permission to wear and would be more odd than being in civis.

Note, the wearing of military uniform, means impersonation a member of the armed forces.. You can for instance wear your service beret and Medals to a remembrance parade because you are not pretending to be a serving member but you are a veteran..
    Wearing of medals to which you are not entitled I believe is also an offence..

Prince William flew RAF Air Sea Rescue for three years, when that got privatised he moved over to flying Helicopters for an Air Ambulance Charity, his wages were donated back to the Charity.. He only left that when HM the Queen became infirm and He had to start doing more Royal duties.
    download.jpg
    Last edited by The Q; 09-15-2022 at 06:41 AM.
    Just an amateur bodging away..

By the way,
    The Oath of Allegiance is sworn by members of the judiciary (judges), clergy of The Church of England, police officers, members of the Armed Forces and public officials, among many others
    “I, (Insert full name), do swear that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to His Majesty King Charles III, his heirs and successors, according to law. So help me God.”
    All members of the armed forces gave this oath to HM Queen, and as the wording shows, it rolls over to Charles, and eventually to Wills.
    Which fits well with the working members of the "firm" having senior ranks in the armed forces, whilst Charles is now Commander-in-Chief of all the armed forces.

He did command a minesweeper.

It seems that the Duke of Sussex will be in uniform for the State Funeral on Monday. So it seems that the Kihg his father has given his permission (see The Q’s post #11, above).
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by John Meachen View Post
    He did command a minesweeper.
    This one: HMS Bronington:

Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 09-15-2022 at 04:45 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Last edited by Hwyl; 09-16-2022 at 10:59 AM.

Mulatto? I am 50% German ancestry, 25% Anglo-Irish ancestry, and 25% Swedish ancestry. What am I?
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post
    I am 50% German ancestry, 25% Anglo-Irish ancestry, and 25% Swedish ancestry. What am I?
    I believe the correct term is “American”, Tom.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

^
    Correct.

As an American on the outside looking in.... My thoughts on the continual and ongoing kerfuffle regarding Harry and Megan are that the British tabloid press and the idiots who purchase and read their drivel are vicious and petty. Harry committed the mortal sin of marrying a woman with African American ancestry and then walking away from the monarchy to shield his wife facing the sort of obsessive criticism, attacks and stalking that contributed to the death of his mother.

Personally, I am charmed by their public displays of affection and mutual respect.
    "I'll tell you why [religion's] not a scam. In my opinion, all right? Tide goes in, tide goes out. Never a miscommunication. You can't explain that."Bill O'Reilly

I must say I have an entirely different understanding of the Sussex Saga, though I don’t pay much attention to it.

I don’t think the “African American ancestry” has much to do with it. I think that “American actress” and “Divorcée” are what the kerfuffle was all about. Britain is certainly not free of racism but those who seem to know about it often say that there is far less of it here than there is in the States. Certainly the Duchess was unreasonably hounded by the gutter press here and I think that one of the reasons why the presstitutes hounded her was because they knew that the Duke, who we are told was much affected by his mother’s awful treatment by the same sort of people, would over react in coming to his wife’s defence.

As a small boy I never got home from primary school without a fight. My classmates knew that if they picked on my younger brother who is mentally handicapped I would automatically go to his defence. It never dawned on me that the little monsters were picking on him to get at me.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett
    I think that “American actress” and “Divorcée” are what the kerfuffle was all about.
    And now you now have divorcées as King and Queen consort.

"………….British tabloid press and the idiots who purchase and read their drivel………….."

Murdoch has made his millions by provoking the the rabble……….. but when the chips have been down it's that rabble that have fought and died for the country…………

It's hard to overestimate the damage the Murdoch press has and is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Montgomery View Post

And now you now have divorcées as King and Queen consort.
    Indeed we do. Post #13 is relevant here. They had been seeing each other before he took command of his minesweeper and she had, we are told, expected him to say something before a long deployment, but since, as Eartha Kitt used to point out, “An Englishman needs time”, he didn’t; she assumed he was never going to, and married someone else on the rebound. He had intended to, and that was the start of that unhappy story.
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 09-15-2022 at 07:05 PM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Last edited by Hwyl; 09-16-2022 at 10:55 AM.

Forty years ago the Andrew formerly known as Prince was in the Navy and just back from the late unpleasantness in Lord Falkland’s Islands. Anyway I’ve deleted my post.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Hwyl View Post
    One of my crew was in the army with Andrew he said as might be expected, he was a compete a-hole. Even then he would wear various bits of uniform from regiments he was an honorary member of, then pull royal rank iff he was questioned.

I also wonder about comparing someone who uses his privilege to boink teenagers, to someone who married a mulatto.
    That is the exact opposite of what I’ve heard about him, from many anecdotes from many people.

Anyway, Andrew CB, I love the term Presstitutes. Never heard that before.

Perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Hadfield View Post
    That is the exact opposite of what I’ve heard about him, from many anecdotes from many people.

Anyway, Andrew CB, I love the term Presstitutes. Never heard that before.

Perfect.
    It was coined by a Filipina politician whom I don’t much care for but I’m not above stealing her word!

Edited to add - I Googled it and it turns out to have started life in New York!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Presstitute
    Last edited by Andrew Craig-Bennett; 09-16-2022 at 05:21 AM.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

This is interesting on the hounding of the Duke and Duchess in the social media:

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...n-report-finds
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

^ Published 10 months ago. Let us hope that Twitter has closed those accounts by now.

I read somehwere that both he and Andrew can wear military dress for the funeral, I guess Charles relented.

Charles appointing Andrew as a councilor to sit in for him if Charles was unavailable for an event is not going to go down well.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Gerarddm View Post
    I read somehwere that both he and Andrew can wear military dress for the funeral, I guess Charles relented.

Charles appointing Andrew as a councilor to sit in for him if Charles was unavailable for an event is not going to go down well.
    Charles didn’t appoint Andrew as anything; the list of Counsellors of State is fixed by the Regency Acts. Blame King George IV.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Charles didn’t appoint Andrew as anything; the list of Counsellors of State is fixed by the Regency Acts. Blame King George IV.
    Which if The i is to be believed is going to be amended in the very near future principally to allow Anne, Edward and Sophie to act as Counsellors of State along with William and Harry. Hence Andrew will be consigned to oblivion and not before time.

Nick

Good. Because if there is one thing that almost everyone agrees on, it is that HRH the Princess Royal ought to be included.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

After posting #33, I recalled that it is the Regency Act 1937 so George VI not IV. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Regenc...t_of_a_Regency

Nick