Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A new Method of Execution

Default A new Method of Execution

Nitrogen Hypoxia

MONTGOMERY, Ala. (AP) — Alabama told a federal judge that it could soon be ready to use a new, untried execution method called nitrogen hypoxia to carry out a death sentence.

The disclosure came Monday at a court hearing over inmate Alan Miller's request to block his scheduled Sept. 22 execution by lethal injection. Miller maintains that prison staff lost paperwork he returned in 2018 requesting nitrogen hypoxia, an execution method that the state has authorized but never used.

U.S. District Judge R. Austin Huffaker Jr. asked whether Alabama was ready to carry out executions by nitrogen hypoxia.

James Houts, a deputy state attorney general, said the method could be available as soon as next week. He said, however, that a final decision on when to use the new method would be up to Corrections Commissioner John Hamm. The Alabama Department of Corrections did not respond to an email seeking comment about the status of the proposed new execution method.

Default Re: A new Method of Execution

Sounds hellacious.

Might as well just tie their arms and throw them off the dock.

I would imagine on a tangent similar to nitrogen narcosis, for divers. Don't know more about it - but believe it involves euphoria, before kicking off.
    There's a lot of things they didn't tell me when I signed on with this outfit....

I'm not for executions.

The reasoning here is the Nitrogen environment doesn't leave the person "oxygen starved". They simply pass out and the body starts to shut down due to lack of oxygen to maintain respiration.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Put a little nitrous oxide in their, go laughing. It’ll help ease the tension.
    Fight Entropy, build a wooden boat!

Quote Originally Posted by Canoez View Post
    I'm not for executions.

The reasoning here is the Nitrogen environment doesn't leave the person "oxygen starved". They simply pass out and the body starts to shut down due to lack of oxygen to maintain respiration.
    Yes, the most painful part of asphyxiation is your lungs filling up with Co2. If you are breathing normally, you should feel not pain at all, just a quick passing out from a lack of life sustaining O2 and then death.
    "If you think you are too small to make a difference, try sleeping with a mosquito"

-Dalai Lama

I'm not for executions.
    +1

We have that vocal element of our society (apparently about 60%) that is determined to demonstrate the sanctity of life by killing those that do not show appropriate respect for life.

There is a strong overlap with those who believe that all life is sacred and are therefore opposed to abortion for any reason.

The only conclusion you can reach is that they believe that they have the right to decide which lives deserve to continue and which do not, often on the basis of their religious beliefs. And that is something that the Bible and Jesus speaks to directly (it is not their right).
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by CWSmith View Post
    The only conclusion you can reach is that they...
    Are either hypocrites, or really aren't of the faith that they profess to be.
    "The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Art Haberland View Post
    Yes, the most painful part of asphyxiation is your lungs filling up with Co2. If you are breathing normally, you should feel not pain at all, just a quick passing out from a lack of life sustaining O2 and then death.
    Sounds good. I’d like to sign up for that as a way of shuffling off this mortal coil when I lose interest in carrying on.
    IMAGINES VEL NON FUERINT

Are either hypocrites, or really aren't of the faith that they profess to be.
    For generations, people have had difficulty separating what the Bible teaches from what society around them teaches. This isn't new.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Craig-Bennett View Post
    Sounds good. I’d like to sign up for that as a way of shuffling off this mortal coil when I lose interest in carrying on.
    I believe the Swiss are looking into precisely that for euthanasia - the Sarco pod.
    -William A. Ward

For generations, people have had difficulty separating what the Bible teaches from what society around them teaches. This isn't new.
    Correct. But it shows they choose to ignore the core tenets of the faith.
    -William A. Ward

The Swiss don't allow assisted suicide at the moment, but you can take pills supplied. If the nitrogen kit was left handy, then OK by them. The film maker Godard just went off by choice.

Well, if it is indeed painless, and not asphyxia panic-inducing, then I suppose it is a humane option for an inhumane act.

dude shot two coworkers in one office
    then drove across town to shoot two other workers
    three of them died
    his own defense suggested he was mentally ill
    but not so much so that he shouldn't stand trial for his crimes, wtf?!
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Pless View Post
    three of them died
    https://www.uppermichiganssource.com...lW-H6jlEtMHQXE

Trump helped drive people over the edge…

Jeff C
    Don’t expect much, and you won’t be disappointed…

Quote Originally Posted by leikec View Post
    https://www.uppermichiganssource.com...lW-H6jlEtMHQXE

Trump helped drive people over the edge…

Jeff C
    he shot the dog too

Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Well, if it is indeed painless, and not asphyxia panic-inducing, then I suppose it is a humane option for an inhumane act.
    Anyone who has had confined space training and experience, and worked in those settings knows and has seen the effects of breathing nitrogen. It's hard to imagine a more benign way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Wright View Post
    It's hard to imagine a more benign way to go.
    heroin overdose, there will probably be a little involuntary vomitting at the very end - but it won't much bother the condemned
    Last edited by Paul Pless; 09-14-2022 at 09:58 AM.

Frankly, death is far to good for that one………...

heroin overdose
    Are "highs" always benign?

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew2 View Post
    The Swiss don't allow assisted suicide at the moment, but you can take pills supplied. If the nitrogen kit was left handy, then OK by them. The film maker Godard just went off by choice.
    Part of the point of the Sarco. You get in and activate it yourself.
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard38 View Post
    Put a little nitrous oxide in their, go laughing. It’ll help ease the tension.
    Could mix it with helium so the guy has a silly voice, to get him started laughing.
    R
    Sleep with one eye open.

Amazing what turns up in Blighty for sale.

Anyone need an executioners axe from the Middle Ages? It's quite a tool.

https://vintagetoolshop.com/collecti...-22-head-45817

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post

Anyone need an executioners axe from the Middle Ages? It's quite a tool.

Maybe Merrick Garland has a use for it?
    -William A. Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Edward Pearson View Post

Anyone need an executioners axe from the Middle Ages?

Yikes, not what one would choose to off one-self.. though a guy in the UK set up a chainsaw to do it... That takes a bit of thinking to include in the ways..

Open windows appear to be the choice in Russia for suicide/executions. Though, a new method has just turned up. Falling off your boat.

I have always been befuddled by the controversy about execution methods.

If you have to do it, simply introduce colorless & odorless carbon monoxide into the criminal's cell whilst they are sleeping and that's it. No muss, no fuss, no psychological torment. Witnesses can watch via closed circuit camera. It's cheap, too. End of story.
    Gerard>
    Albuquerque, NM

Next election, vote against EVERY Republican, for EVERY office, at EVERY level. Be patriotic, save the country.

+1

We have that vocal element of our society (apparently about 60%) that is determined to demonstrate the sanctity of life by killing those that do not show appropriate respect for life.

There is a strong overlap with those who believe that all life is sacred and are therefore opposed to abortion for any reason.

The only conclusion you can reach is that they believe that they have the right to decide which lives deserve to continue and which do not, often on the basis of their religious beliefs. And that is something that the Bible and Jesus speaks to directly (it is not their right).

If you, or a family member, have been the victim of a violent crime, it is not unusual to want the perpetrator to be severely punished. What percentage of the Boston Marathon victims and/or next-of-kin applaud the death sentence for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. I'm not saying it is right or wrong, but a natural feeling in many. Only about 60% of the country is Christian and is is shrinking by the day, so religion becomes less of a factor. Both Jewish and Islamic doctrine support death for certain crimes.

Beats being pushed out of windows.

I thought this was an interesting breakdown. Those Republicans and White evangelical Protestants sure are a vengeful lot.

I've got mixed feelings on the death penalty, on the one hand there are some vile human beings who really are just taking up space and resources we could better use elsewhere. On the other far too many people have been wrongfully convicted and executed for me to feel like the system is anything like "just". If we are going to continue the practice it should be quiet and painless, the whole marching people in to witness the execution process is weird. Nitrogen seems like a viable solution, just gas the condemned one night after lights out.

As for heroin, you ever wake up someone from their overdose? Stand back 'cause they are going to be pissed off.
    Steve

If you would have a good boat, be a good guy when you build her - honest, careful, patient, strong.
    H.A. Calahan

three of them died
    Why was he able to legally own a gun ?
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

he shot the dog too
    Grind him up and make Alpo out of him.
    This post is temporary and my disappear at the discretion of the managment

Quote Originally Posted by stromborg View Post

I thought this was an interesting breakdown. Those Republicans and White evangelical Protestants sure are a vengeful lot.

I've got mixed feelings on the death penalty, on the one hand there are some vile human beings who really are just taking up space and resources we could better use elsewhere. On the other far too many people have been wrongfully convicted and executed for me to feel like the system is anything like "just". If we are going to continue the practice it should be quiet and painless, the whole marching people in to witness the execution process is weird. Nitrogen seems like a viable solution, just gas the condemned one night after lights out.

As for heroin, you ever wake up someone from their overdose? Stand back 'cause they are going to be pissed off.
    Actually, what I find interesting is that every age group over 29 has over 50% favor the death penalty

We manage to put our pets 'out' quite peacefully. Why is it a problem with humans?
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book

Quote Originally Posted by Boatbum View Post
    Actually, what I find interesting is that every age group over 29 has over 50% favor the death penalty
    I not only favor the death penalty, but I think each of us should be able to determine when it's time for us to go. I don't fear death as much as I fear suffering on the way to death.

I doubt I'm alone.
    "Banning books and not guns seems backwards. Can't think of anyone ever shot by a book