Thread: Kirby Paints....Shipping Costs To Minnesota

Default Kirby Paints....Shipping Costs To Minnesota

Would love to use Kirby paints and found the color but shipping costs to Minnesota is $17.00 a qt. Am I missing something?

Default Re: Kirby Paints....Shipping Costs To Minnesota

Other than a winning Lottery ticket?

No, youíre not missing anything.

Flammable liquids require HAZMAT surcharge over and above the required Ground (only) transport fee.

Then thereís the extra labor & materials required for packing contents to reduce risk of spillage en route. Lid clamps, cans bagged & sealed.

Kirbyís paints are practically hand-made, not mass-produced. In this day & age thatís a luxury that comes with a cost if you want the qualities their reputationís built on.

One comment in closing: if you go this route, invest in some stop-loss bags. Even after filling their cans with Argon gas before closing, I get skinning 9 times out of 10 when I open Ďem days or months later.

I was quoted $50 to ship 4 litres of paint about 300 kilometres. Suggest $17 is not expensive - unfortunately.

Regards Neil

Quote Originally Posted by sp_clark View Post
    Other than a winning Lottery ticket?

No, you’re not missing anything.

Flammable liquids require HAZMAT surcharge over and above the required Ground (only) transport fee.

Then there’s the extra labor & materials required for packing contents to reduce risk of spillage en route. Lid clamps, cans bagged & sealed.

Kirby’s paints are practically hand-made, not mass-produced. In this day & age that’s a luxury that comes with a cost if you want the qualities their reputation’s built on.

One comment in closing: if you go this route, invest in some stop-loss bags. Even after filling their cans with Argon gas before closing, I get skinning 9 times out of 10 when I open ‘em days or months later.
    Thank you ordered a color guide will see if we have a color match..and go from there

Upon reading your first post I inferred you already had one of Kirby's color sample cards. How did you come to find the color you've chosen?

They're fully capable, in fact happy to mix custom colors for customers but that service adds additional cost over their standard selections.

Once you've received their color sample card (actual paint samples attached, very helpful!) if there's a hardware or paint store near you up there that mixes paints you may find they can provide you with a less expensive solution. They ought to be able to put those sample chips under their color analyzer, come up with a close match in some other brand that they carry.

Though Kirby's is a great product (and their customer service is second to none) when on a budget there are other, more easily sourced products that can serve our purposes very well from off other shelves.

Pay the shipping fee, no big deal in the big picture. You have an old boat you are painting, yes? How does $17.00 fit into the big scheme of other costs for working on an old boat?

Kirby has a great product and they have a fantastic team. It's a small business operating since 1846, yes, 1846. I purchase my paint from them and have it shipped to Minnesota.

Andreas

Upon reading your first post I inferred you already had one of Kirby's color sample cards. How did you come to find the color you've chosen?

They're fully capable, in fact happy to mix custom colors for customers but that service adds additional cost over their standard selections.

Once you've received their color sample card (actual paint samples attached, very helpful!) if there's a hardware or paint store near you up there that mixes paints you may find they can provide you with a less expensive solution. They ought to be able to put those sample chips under their color analyzer, come up with a close match in some other brand that they carry.

Though Kirby's is a great product (and their customer service is second to none) when on a budget there are other, more easily sourced products that can serve our purposes very well from off other shelves.
    Sorry for misleading you...I saw the color chart on line, they have a color Irish Green looks close to what we have on our St. Pierrie Dory, named the Leprechaun. Have a hunch it is. As far as cost of paint, Kirby is $30.00 a qt plus shipping $47.00. If I order Total Boat Wet Edge through Amazon or Total Edge shipping is free. Wet Edge the shipping is blended into the cost of the paint and ends up being close to the same price as Kirby. On the Dory I have above the water scrap that was on the side of hull when I purchased it. Would like to sand and touch that up, otherwise the hull is good, then use the balance of the paint for the roof. But I did get a chart from Wet Edge and the color is too dark. Kirby has more selections of green and have a hunch the builder used the Irish Green based on the name of the boat.sea dory #1.jpg

https://kirbypaint.com/products/kirb...ge-color-chart

Quote Originally Posted by AndreasJordahlRhude View Post
    Pay the shipping fee, no big deal in the big picture. You have an old boat you are painting, yes? How does $17.00 fit into the big scheme of other costs for working on an old boat?

Kirby has a great product and they have a fantastic team. It's a small business operating since 1846, yes, 1846. I purchase my paint from them and have it shipped to Minnesota.

Andreas
    Agree if the color matches. Guess that is the bottom line. Thanks

South Puget Sound/summer Eastern carib./winter

wait until you paint the bottom !!!!

I would check with Kirby, if you order a certain amount the shipping is free.

Quote Originally Posted by Treeguyus View Post
    Would love to use Kirby paints and found the color but shipping costs to Minnesota is $17.00 a qt. Am I missing something?
    Kirby’s is a small business and that’s their fee to ship paint. Might not be the right product for you.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

Kirby is great paint, I have used it on 2 boats. Brushes out well, and is very durable. That being said, Sherwin Williams makes Seaguard 1000, an alkyd oil marine paint, and they are probably just a few minutes away, can mix any color you like.
    Steve Martinsen

Quote Originally Posted by Yeadon View Post
    Kirby’s is a small business and that’s their fee to ship paint. Might not be the right product for you.
    True but found out Kirby will ship free $140.00 minimum, thanks

That sure looks like Kirby’s Irish Green to me. I used it on the Harry Bryan Thistle I built.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    That sure looks like Kirby’s Irish Green to me. I used it on the Harry Bryan Thistle I built.
    Steven am thinking so..

It comes out of the can a little lighter than that but cures to that darker green. Bit of a shock at first.

Quote Originally Posted by StevenBauer View Post
    It comes out of the can a little lighter than that but cures to that darker green.
    Most any pigmented finishing material will do that, save maybe urethanes (one or two-part) or epoxy.

It can help when you're doing a second coat, you can tell what's already been coated from the difference in tone. Typically the darker the final result, the easier it is to see what's not thoroughly dry too.

I find latex paints exhibit greatest difference between wet & dry, oil-based not so much.

Most any pigmented finishing material will do that, save maybe urethanes (one or two-part) or epoxy.

It can help when you're doing a second coat, you can tell what's already been coated from the difference in tone. Typically the darker the final result, the easier it is to see what's not thoroughly dry too.

I find latex paints exhibit greatest difference between wet & dry, oil-based not so much.
    Ordered today, spoke to George doling a match with a chip I sent him...Getting more completed on the boat then I thought...thanks Steven