Thread: anchor gear for 18 ft. cruising dinghy

Default anchor gear for 18 ft. cruising dinghy

I'm putting together 2 anchor set ups for my boat and have a few questions:
    The anchors I have is a 9lb Rocna & a 4lb. fortress.
    I also have an 18 ft length of 1/4 high test chain for each one.
    One problem I am trying to solve is finding a shackle that has similar strength to the chain, but will fit into the chain links to the anchor.
    In other words, not create a weak link.
    Is there a way to put a bigger link on the chain so a larger shackle could be used?
    The only 1/4 inch shackles I can find are weak junk.
    I haven't bought the anchor line yet, but I'm planning on getting a couple hundred ft of good quality 3/8 line.
    There are 4 types sold at fisheries supply:
    New england ropes,yale cordage,sampson,& sea dog line
    I heard good things about New England ropes, but not the others.
    Has anyone used these other types with good results?
    I keep reading advice to steer cllear of Chinese garbage quality line, but how can you know?
    should I shell out more cash for the 8 strand, on stick with 3 strand?
    Boat will be used in PNW and lower B.C.
    I'm also trying to decide on a size for a dedicated shore line to stash on the boat

Default Re: anchor gear for 18 ft. cruising dinghy

Sampson is a quality product.

Personally I’d go with three strand over braided for anchor rode since it’s stretchier. That might not be a real concern for a small boat - you will likely never put enough strain on the rode to stretch the line at all anyway. Any shock absorbing effect would be from the catenary. But I’ve never anchored a boat that size so I don’t really know.
    - Chris

Any single boat project will always expand to encompass the set of all possible boat projects.

Life is short. Go boating now!

The anchors are good, but you do not need that heavy-strong rode. Too heavy anchor line will not absorb as much shock as properly sized line.
    3/8" line is easy to handle but will be bulkier than necessary to store.
    5'/16" line is 70% as bulky and plenty strong for your application. I just ordered 1/4" rode for my 17' boat.
    I like three strand as it is easy to splice and doesn't require a properly sized fid. Of the brands of line you listed, Sea Dog I believe is a reseller, the others are manufacturers with good product.

Consider sourcing your shackles from a rigging supply store, even then be picky. If the shackle is not made in China, they will probably mention it. Any quality shackle that will fit your chain will be strong enough for your 18' boat. The Crosby G-209 shackle, for instance, is a good one.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

I went ahead and ordered 200 ft of Sampson 3/8" 3 strand nylon.(and stainless thimbles)
    I will order a couple of those G-209 shackles.
    Here is a really dumb shackle question:
    For 1/4 chain,would a 1/4 inch shackle be the largest one that will fit in the chain, or will one size up still fit in the link?
    I don't want to order them and find out when they arrive they are the wrong size.
    The other line I want to get is a line to tie to shore, or use for a clothesline mooring.
    Any opinions on size,type and length of one of those?
    Thanks for the help.

Measure the inside dimension of a link with a caliper or drill bit.
    ​​♦ During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act
    ♦ The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it
    ♦ If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear
    ♦ George Orwell

For 1/4 chain,would a 1/4 inch shackle be the largest one that will fit in the chain, or will one size up still fit in the link?
    I don't want to order them and find out when they arrive they are the wrong size.
    The other line I want to get is a line to tie to shore, or use for a clothesline mooring.
    Any opinions on size,type and length of one of those?
    Thanks for the help.
    If you know what make the chain is, specs may be online. Your retailer should be able to tell you the make and model/ series of chain sold. Here is an example:

https://www.tridentmarinechain.com/bbb-galvanized

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 1.38.23 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 1.38.32 PM.jpg

Kevin
    There are two kinds of boaters: those who have run aground, and those who lie about it.

The Crosby G-209 shackle, for instance, is a good one.[/QUOTE]

We've used Crosby shackles on our 31ft (f.g.) cutter for years, anchored out in 3-4' chop and rollers, tugging violently for several days upcoast and have great confidence in them. So another "endorsement" here.

Eric what design/builder is your 18'er? (Just curious)

Seabright 18 microcruiser. Designed by Reuel Parkebr /> The chain is coming today, so I will just measure it.
    Last edited by Eric Moore; 09-13-2022 at 07:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Moore View Post
    I'm putting together 2 anchor set ups for my boat and have a few questions:
    The anchors I have is a 9lb Rocna & a 4lb. fortress.
    I also have an 18 ft length of 1/4 high test chain for each one.
    One problem I am trying to solve is finding a shackle that has similar strength to the chain, but will fit into the chain links to the anchor.
    In other words, not create a weak link.
    Is there a way to put a bigger link on the chain so a larger shackle could be used?
    The only 1/4 inch shackles I can find are weak junk.
    I haven't bought the anchor line yet, but I'm planning on getting a couple hundred ft of good quality 3/8 line.
    There are 4 types sold at fisheries supply:
    New england ropes,yale cordage,sampson,& sea dog line
    I heard good things about New England ropes, but not the others.
    Has anyone used these other types with good results?
    I keep reading advice to steer cllear of Chinese garbage quality line, but how can you know?
    should I shell out more cash for the 8 strand, on stick with 3 strand?
    Boat will be used in PNW and lower B.C.
    I'm also trying to decide on a size for a dedicated shore line to stash on the boat
    Seems like you've got it all figured out, or will very soon.

In Anacortes, there's both West Marine and the Marine Supply & Hardware store on Commercial. Everything you need is there at those two stores.

I use a 9lb rocna with about 200 feet of three strand 3/8th line. I keep an extra 90' stretch of three strand 3/8th line in the boat that I could bend in to increase the length of the anchor rode, but it's used mostly as a super long painter for the shoreline. Sometimes you need that length. I have a pair of 15' 3/8th three strand line for dock lines, rafting, etc.

I also use about 300' of floating 1/4 line for a clothesline, along with a couple 30'-ish feet long pieces of line to tie off on shore. Clotheslines are a whole other deal. I keep the whole system in a square canvas "crate" that I sewed a few years back.

I keep a few other odds and ends of lines and seine twine in a canvas bag. They come in use for various jobs.

I don't really have an opinion on brands, and whether or not they're "good" or not. You'll try lots of different products over time. You'll decide what you like.
    Quote Originally Posted by James McMullen View Post
    Yeadon is right, of course.

I bought my anchor and a link of chain in to the shop (rigging store, not big box store) with me when sizing my shackle.
    That was after after an attempt at buying on line. (It was to big). In the store i could see that a slight “tap” would get it to fit the anchor while fitting the chain perfect. Different brand shackles will be slightly different in measurements, which for this simple brain was frustrating. .)
    I also used a bow shackle, not a D shackle with the bow at the anchor so it can change direction (wind, tide) without side load as is common with a D shackle.
    Though not ideal you may need to use two to get the result your looking for?
    So if you have a store nearby as Yeadon says it removes the guess work.
    And shackles ain’t shackles, so go quality. I dont trust the specs coming from the cheap shackles.
    Happy anchoring!

[QUOTE=

I also use about 300' of floating 1/4 line for a clothesline, along with a couple 30'-ish feet long pieces of line to tie off on shore. Clotheslines are a whole other deal. I keep the whole system in a square canvas "crate" that I sewed a few years back[/QUOTE]

After a bunch of reading about clothesline moorings, it seems divided between floating & non-floating line people.
    Could you please go into a little more detail as to how it's set up?What is the"whole system" made of?
    Your boat is similar to mine and for the same waters.i want to keep it in it's own package, put away in the boat
    Thinking about it, why would the floating line be an advantage?
    I'm envisioning the loop going through a ring at the end of the chain.
    Another ring on the loop would have a bouy going up to the surface on a line.
    And the boat would be tied to that bouy.
    In that case it seems floating line would be a liability trying to float the line and could be pulled if a boat fouled it.
    Also polyester line doesn't stretch like Nylon 3 strand.
    I'm guessing you do it differently:
    Like maybe the loop goes right to the bow of the boat through a pulley.
    So it's just on the surface all the way.
    i suppose floating line would keep away from barnacle encrusted rocks

Sinking three strand line grabs on rocks, cobble, seaweed. Really annoying. I tried it that way and then went to the yellow floaty stuff. Much happier existence.

There’s a great diagram on the forum here posted by Don Kurylko that shows how to set up a clothesline. Better would be to meet up at Pelican Beach or Spencer Spit with our boats and I’ll show you in person. It’s kind of one of those you gotta see it yourself type of things.

I found this in my email. Don Kurylko sent this to me in 2008.

0C9C0305-25F3-40D8-968C-3F1BD2E0FBE9.jpg

MOORING SEQUENCE

Beaching on the tide, or grounding in rocky anchorage's can be hard on the boat as well as on the schedule, so an effective means of mooring is necessary for convenience and peace of mind. The following system was developed from experience during a 500 mile, 3 1/2 month cruise in a 17' Whitehall along the B.C. coast. It is ideally suited to small coves with rocky shores, deep water and large tidal ranges typical of this area. The system is reliable and provides a secure two point mooring with easy access to the boat at any time, and can readily be adapted to other types of coastlines.

Fig. 5 illustrates the basic system and should be followed closely for best results. The lengths of the various lines can be altered to suit individual circumstances, but a block should not be substituted for the ring at the float end of the anchor rode in an attempt to reduce friction. A block will only jam or seize up with corrosion, whereas a ring never will. Surprisingly, friction is not much of a problem at all.

A small fisherman type anchor is highly recommended for this system. It is an anchor that can be relied upon to consistently set in almost any kind of bottom. The best anchorages for beach cruisers seldom come with ideal mud bottoms, so a good "all 'rounder" is a must.

In practice, the mooring is laid out in the following manner:
    1. Inside the boat, fake down in order: the tripline (secure the bitter end!), the anchor, the chain and rode, the endless loop and the shore line, so that they will run out smoothly without fouling.
    2. Row up to shore and have the crew tie off the shore line to a tree or large rock, or, if single-handed, use a folding grapnel tossed from the boat.
    3. Row out from shore paying out the endless loop, the rode and the anchor chain until only the anchor and trip line remain on board.
    4. Lower the anchor to the bottom, taking care not to foul the rode, and pull the whole system taut by rowing hard against the trip line.
    5. Coil up and tie off any excess floating trip line to the estimated maximum tide level, plus a bit for the current. If traffic is likely to be a problem, regular, non- floating, nylon or dacron line can be used in place of the polypropelene to avoid fouling other vessels. This can then be attached to a bright, highly visible buoy and allowed to hang down out of harms way. A bit of reflective tape on the buoy will also help to enhance visibility at night.
    6. Row back to shore and attach the bow painter to the endless loop with a well secured rolling hitch that won't come undone or slip. The boat can now be hauled out to the float safe from rocks and shells. A kerosene anchor light can be used to mark the boats position at night.

7. Heave in on the system as hard as possible from shore to set the anchor. This is probably best done before the boat is hauled out to the mooring. The shore line is then re-attached to the endless loop with a secure rolling hitch to stop it from running out and is tied off to a tree or a well set grapnel to complete the two point mooring. Make sure the endless loop is accessible above high-water. Some adjustment will be required to accommodate for the tide, because the lines will tighten up when it's high and slack off when it's low. Proficiency comes with practice and it won't take long to get the hang of it.
    8. To weigh anchor, the whole procedure is simply reversed. Once carefully faked down in the locker again, the system will be ready to go at the next anchorage.

OK, floating line sounds like the way to go.
    Thanks, the drawings help to understand it
    I launch at Hunter Bay which is about 4 miles from Spencer Spit.
    Let me know if you are ever going there and I will sail/row over