Thread: smoked meat

Default smoked meat

I smoked two briskets, one lamb roast and a pile of pork chops yesterday. The chops went in near the end after the smoking wood was done and they were great. Had a few slices of the brisket this morn. Itís like desert meat. This was very lean brisket so itís a bit dry and thereís so many ways I could have done it better but the flavor is great. This is now my favorite way to cook pork compared to grilling.

Default Re: smoked meat

Love me some smoked pork butt or shoulder!

I have a slab of salmon in the freezer that I would like to smoke. Any advice on that subject would be welcome.
    Skip

---This post is delivered with righteous passion and with a solemn southern directness --
    ...........fighting against the deliberate polarization of politics...

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    Love me some smoked pork butt or shoulder!

I have a slab of salmon in the freezer that I would like to smoke. Any advice on that subject would be welcome.
    I have no words of wisdom other than share it. Something about that first bite that stops time. My next project is to figure out a cold smoker using the hot smoker. With that brisket I’m imagining a sour dough roll with slices of that brisket, sciracha mayo, a little onion and some kind of pickles. Burp. Didn’t Pless do an insane smoked salmon thing?

Smoked brisket makes an excellent eggs Benedict with some adobo added to the sauce. A little chimichurri sauce on the brisket makes it more better.
    "Where you live in the world should not determine whether you live in the world." - Bono

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." - Will Rogers

"Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others." - Groucho Marx

And this...

At left, eye of round, dry-cured for about ten days, then smoked (apple wood) and sliced paper-thin. Really good rolled around a small blob of horseradish white cheddar. At right smoked pork loin, usually hickory smoked and also thin sliced. We vacuum seal both of these and freeze them in small batches We like the pork sliced and sauced for BBQ sandwiches more than when cooked to death and pulled when falling apart. That slicer is one of the best things we ever bought.

sliced.jpg

So far after a couple of runs with the new Oklahoma Joe's Bronco charcoal drum smoker we are seriously impressed. The ability to adjust the temperature and hold it there is excellent and the burn times you can get out of a single pile of charcoal and a couple chunks of hardwood are amazing.

joe.jpg

Todd, I’m really tempted to get one of those.

So far, I have an ancient Weber Smokey Mountain water pan smoker (hard to keep consistent temp and to keep the temp down where you want it for smoking), a Bradley electric smoker (burns those expensive sawdust hockey pucks, but the flimsy door hinges broke off and now all that holds the door on is a magnet) a Masterbuilt digital electric smoker (pretty good and holds temperature well) and the new Bronco, which is likely to become my favorite (super heavy duty construction and nearly air-tight when the lid is closed with a big Kevlar gasket on the lid).

I haven't tried cold smoking, but I have an attachment for the Bradley which will separate the heating and smoke making portion from the food box area with about eight feet of aluminum tubing, like dryer hose. If I wanted to smoke salmon, I might try it that way.

I feel sleepy now.

Cool Re: smoked meat

When I first started smokin meat, I told myself I'd only do it on special days.
    Little did I know that every day is a special day.
    Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

I don't do much barbecue / smoking these days, but Todd, those examples look great !
    Charter Member - - Professional Procrastinators Association of America - - putting things off since 1965 " I'll get around to it tomorrow, .... maybe "

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP KILPATRICK View Post
    I prefer cold-smoked salmon, but it's a challenge to get the right setup. Here's my home-made cold smoker (chips in a pan over an electric hotplate in a breadbox, with a duct fan).

Here's salmon with a gravlax cure, cold-smoked with local alder:

If you hot-smoke it, give it time to cure, air it to dry the surface, keep the temp as low as possible, and don't leave it in too long.

Is Cathouse Willy around? He's a maestro of smoking and curing meat.

Here's my homemade stainless steel UDS (Upright/Ugly Drum Smoker). Very reliable smoker.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Leftover chopped brisket on a lard-rubbed baked potato is the best...

you had me at 'lard rubbed'
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Well, I built myself a smokehouse but so far have mostly just used it for grilling and canning.

Did smoke a pile of big olí beef ribs on the smokey mountain for Independence Day, but between the dry rub, sauce, and hardwood smoke, I ended up with a flavor distinctly reminiscent of jack links or slim jim jerky. Not that great, frankly. Error in seasoning, must try again with less.

26919157-A20B-41FA-9459-97B7B44DDBA8.jpg

they look good though
    Quote Originally Posted by L.W. Baxter View Post
    Simpler is better, except when complicated looks really cool.

Just smoked a pork butt and some St. Louis cut ribs. Kosher salt and a light dusting of Gates classic rub.

I use the Weber Smoky Mountain kettle to put on some smoke: low heat (200įF), two loads of hickory chunks. About three hours.

Overdoing the spices or the smoke turns it nasty. I don't try to fully cook things on the smoker.

The ribs went into the freezer and then were vacuum-packed. I'll finish the cooking in a sous-vide and then scorch them with sauce on the grill.

The butt went into a countertop roaster to finish. Tomorrow, I'll rip it up and vacuum-pack the shredded pork for sandwiches, carnitas, etc.

I also did ribs today on the bradley smoker, two racks of side ribs in the smoker with alder smoke for 3 hrs. Wrapped in foil with sliced apple and splash of apple juice for 2hrs at 240 f and lastly sauced and firmed up under the broiler.

P1010707.jpg

Willy, have you seen the videos showing how to make your own Bradley wood biscuits from sawdust and potato starch pressed into an old hole saw body? Since a long-ish smoke on the Bradley can burn through about $15 worth of their biscuits, this might be worth trying.

Hi Todd. I did some looking at these when I first got the bradley but building the press starts with a pricey trip to the harware store and the whole process is time consuming. The start of the video claims 120 bradley pucks cost $129 but canadian tire, cableas and the bradley web site have the 120 pack for 50 to 60 dollars cdn. It doesn't seem worth all the fiddling.

amatuers...
    Jack
    Nicotine free since 1 October 2009

So Jack, are you planning to contribute to the thread, or just blow smoke?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Bradshaw View Post
    Willy, have you seen the videos showing how to make your own Bradley wood biscuits from sawdust and potato starch pressed into an old hole saw body? Since a long-ish smoke on the Bradley can burn through about $15 worth of their biscuits, this might be worth trying.

I may just have tasted some of those!

Cool Re: smoked meat

Keep calm, persistence beats resistance.

Do the pucks have to be round?

I've got a soil block press for starting seeds that turns out square pucks. Or you could use a muffin tin and a circular potato masher.

I use a Weber Smoky Mountain kettle, charcoal, and chunks of wood.

ok, i am trying again. ribs tips, short ribs, and one chunk of something i'm not sure what it is, i packed it with the short ribs so...

trying to simplify the spice palette this time around, was going to do salt, pepper, and garlic flakes, but i didn't have garlic flakes, then i thought, hey, montreal steak seasoning is mostly salt, pepper, and garlic flakes...and i like montreal steak seasoning...

A9FA5F81-9EAC-434A-ACDE-7476E74C4CA6.jpg

i think the big mistake last time was a load of cayenne. no cayenne this go...

We ate it all up. What are we going to do when these kids are teenagers? Gonna need more sheep and cheekens.

does this belong here?

IMG_0011 (1).jpg
    Without friends none of this is possible.

Quote Originally Posted by JTA View Post
    amatuers...
    that’s right, no paycheck.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Hoppe View Post
    does this belong here?

IMG_0011 (1).jpg
    oh yes